Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

polartec classic weights

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello.

My understanding is that this a good lightweight, breathable and warm fleece fabric.

my question is how warm is the 200 vs 300. Let's say I am a very warm guy, and I am skiing on a sunny day of -5C.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to consider what else you are wearing with it. E.g. If it is a mid layer between thermals and a wind proof jacket, you would probably only need 100 at -5, especially if you're active.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That would be my main insulating layer. Shirt, fleece and windproof jacket.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buy the 300 and if it's too warm then just vent your shell as you need too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you ski with a rucksack you have the option is to wear a Polartec 200 fleece and carry an extra layer in your rucksack. The extra layer could be a lightweight fleece or a heavyweight thermal.

The above advice assumes that your shell has no insulation. If your shell does have insulation then Polartec 100 (unless it is very cold).

Polartec 200 used to be considered the gold standard, but these days it has been surpassed by warmer, lighter and faster drying fabrics like Polartec Thermal Pro High Void (http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/soft-shell-and-fleece/wolf-jacket).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To answer your question, I'm not partticularly warm, and I've been happy skiing in -5 in a Polartec 100 fleece, but I had an extra Primaloft layer in my rucksack in case the weather deteriorated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Polartec 200 used to be considered the gold standard, but these days it has been surpassed by warmer, lighter and faster drying fabrics like Polartec Thermal Pro High Void

that's why the polartec 200 is cheaper. does the thermal pro line also have weight gradings?

I might get a polartec 200 for this season and wait for spring sales to splash out on a thermal pro.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
amps wrote:

does the thermal pro line also have weight gradings?

Generally any Thermal Pro fleece with the word 'high' in the name is warmer (eg Thermal Pro High Loft, Thermal Pro High Void) and Thermal Pro fabrics without the word 'high' are less warm (eg Thermal Pro Grid).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
is high more or less equivalent to 300 or 200?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lighter, warmer and quicker drying than 200. Probably not as warm as 300.

If you are thinking about buying Thermal Pro, I'd suggest a jacket rather than a pullover. I've used both, and find that when I'm wearing a rucksack the pullover tends to ride up and make me feel like I have breasts. The TP jacket and Polartec 200 pullovers I've used didn't do that as they were both stiffer at the front.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hate pullovers, so am going to a jacket.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy