Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier (Briancon) - 21st-28th Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have done as much searching as I can, but I'm struggling to find the info I need, hopefully you guys can help!

From what I have read SC has a great lift system and isn't too bad queue wise, even in busy periods. We are going away 21st-28th Feb this year, dates can't be changed sadly and there are 2 french regions off that week, including Paris. Can anyone give me a feel for whether I should bother with SC? I am used to pretty quiet pistes as I have never ski'd in during a half term period (I have always gone early Jan). There don't seem to be a huge range of options elsewhere, within our budget we can possibly manage Wengen or Cervinia instead.

Second question - what is Briancon like in terms of accessing the rest of the ski area? We are 'ski all day, lunch on the chairlift' types and cover alot of ground, so happy to stay away from the main area. Main concern would be getting back in time - if we are late can we get a bus back from the other villages?

Third question - bit of a longshot but has anyone got any experience of:

Signal du Propel - this is a crystal offer. No trip advisor reviews but found some on another site that suggested a vermin and theft problem, so unless anyone has any better experiences I will be avoiding this place!

Hotel Vauban - another crystal offer and seems reasonably priced, does anyone have any experience? Reviews seem a little mixed.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Serre Che is my fave resort by a long shot. Even when busy, despite being very "French" it's the right sort of French (I'm bilingual and have lived in France, so feel OK saying that!)

If you like covering a lot of ground, it's a superb place to ski. So much terrain, so much variety. Great pistes for all levels, some excellent slack country and the tree lines are a doozy when the snow hits!

Briançon itself as a place to stay? Am not so keen. The lifts up, and pistes back down are a little limited, IMHO, and even more so when/if the sun hits the pistes on that side of the mountain. FWIW, we've always gone to Chantemerle as our place to stay. Great lifts out, lots of choice back down, and excellent bus links to Monetier etc for more playtime if the pow comes down. Plein Sud hotel has always served us very, very well indeed. A really great welcome, and utterly ace food!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the helpful reply, you've echoed alot of the comments I have heard (it almost sounds too good to be true!) - I thought on our budget we wouldn't be able to get anywhere other than Briancon, but I have just found a fully catered chalet in Villeneuve (Chalet Pyrene), a short walk to pistes but I can't argue at £520 for flights, transfer and catered. Reviews seem reasonable for the Pyrene.

I hope I've made a good choice, because I impulse booked it Very Happy The other non-french choices within budget looked ok and no doubt would be less busy, but serre seems to be enjoying decent snow (hope it stays that way) and looks like a fantastic place, cannot wait!

Thanks again, much appreciated.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
huntleth Did 4 days at SC over an early April easter weekend a few years ago. Wall to wall powder, skiing back down to Briancon, great weather, no queues, quiet on the slopes - there was nothing not to like Very Happy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@huntleth,
Usually you get a day in Montgenevre with your week long pass for Serre Chevalier so if you really, really want to cover mileage, or even "kilometerage" since you'll be in Europe Very Happy , Montgenevre can be added in. Montgenevre, of course also gives you access to the Voie Lactee / Via Lattea with its hundreds of Km's of pistes.

Montgenevre is just 10Km from Briancon (in turn about 3 Km from Chantmerle) so total of 13Km on really good roads.

And of course, La Grave, just over the Col du Lauteret if you're feeling up for a bit of adventure (30Km or so).

You won't regret a minute of it.

If you are forced off the slopes are any length of time, there are lots of other attractions like the Baths in Monetier and the old town (Vauban) in Briancon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys, that's definitely given me some peace of mind. Is Montgenevre easily accessible by public transport? Definitely up for covering some ground, although La Grave might be a bit beyond an unwieldy skier like myself!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

up for covering some ground

Serre Che has enough piste to keep you playing for a week on its own, I'd say! There's a MASSIVE amount of stuff there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@huntleth, is that not the same week as a snowheads bash, in the same place? check the snow events thread.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy