Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving with chains - how fast

Poster: A snowHead
Perhaps an odd question, but how fast do people feel comfortable driving with chains?

We've had to use ours twice in the last few years and above about 15 MPH they start to make a right racket. Of course, driving up the hill at that speed leads to a queue of French school buses, bin lorries, and postmen behind so I'm feeling pressure to go quicker.

I've never seen a manufacturers recommendation or anything like that. What do other people do?

LR
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
50km/h I think is the manufacturer's recommendation, so I stick to that.

Have stopped to check them a few times after hearing a racket, but all was fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LittleRob wrote:
Perhaps an odd question, but how fast do people feel comfortable driving with chains?

We've had to use ours twice in the last few years and above about 15 MPH they start to make a right racket. Of course, driving up the hill at that speed leads to a queue of French school buses, bin lorries, and postmen behind so I'm feeling pressure to go quicker.
. What do other people do?

LR

OVERTAKE.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get up to 30mph -- if something falls off or rattles excessively, you've probably put the chains on wrong. Remember, chains don't increase your ability to *stop* much, if you're wanting to go much faster than 30mph you're probably doing it wrong!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the winter driving courses provided for transer drivers ( using vans not small cars ) the reccomended max speed was 30kmh.
As said above if the snow is shallow enough to permit you to go faster, then take the chains off, and let your snow tyres do the work.
If you get a rattle - STOP, and re-tension your chains. If you want to go faster on compacted snow, get studded tyres. ( Fine in France, but not allowed in CH).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not used chains for years as snow tyres are simply better for most conditions. However, when I did use chains the thought of doing 30mph/50kmh is quite terrifying. I don't think I'd go much faster than about 15mph with chains on. With snow tyres you shouldn't need to use chains on a major road anyway; if you have summer tyres and need to use chains then cars with snow tyres will always be faster than you, so you're going to be holding people up whatever speed you dare to drive at.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What he said.

I'd rather be held up a bit by someone driving slowly and carefully than blocked by stuck vehicles. It's not a race. People who are close enough behind you to give you "pressure" are an accident risk. They need to pass you or keep their distance. I would just ignore them and hope they don't run into you when you have to stop.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ditto, however when you put the chains on you can do 3-4 revolutions of the tyres to normally tell if you need to tighten them. ie pop back out and jingle the chain... If you can jingle too easily then tighten... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On an empty straight road that I know well I have got up to 50 kmph which I understood was the recommend limit. I certainly didn't have any desire to go faster than that - and most of the time I'd be quite a bit slower. Obviously relying on winter tyres is better if you can. But it does get to a stage when you have to have chains on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
and ignore the rear view mirror, cos there'll be an impatient range rover sport or other fancy 4x4 imposing themselves in the rearview mirror chivvying you along rather than overtaking.

only other thing that annoys me are those that hold back excessively to make way more space than necessary so they have acres of space to keep momentum round hairpins, and steal all of the space that you've tried to create for yourself, so you have to slow down to a stop. have even had them stop completely to let 100m+ of road become clear. wtf is that all about?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think there's a thread called "what is wrong with [other] people" for that.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with people driving too carefully. Perhaps I am that person, stealing "your" space. I think you have just to deal with things as they are, not as you'd like them to be. Leave a bigger gap, so you have time to deal with the careful people?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I leave space. The guy in front leaves space for the same reason. Then stops with loads of spare space. The whole idea of leaving space is to keep momentum, so you don't have to stop and then try pulling away again uphill. Use that space you've been saving, and not the space that I've been saving, then neither of us need to stop, and there's not a blockage.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the replies. As it happens I've finally bought winter tyres and started fitting them today. What a palaver. I was expecting it to be a bit of a pain but:

a) One of the rear wheels wouldn't come off. Apparently a problem with the XC90 (judging by the number of hits my google search returned) and it needed to be convinced by a suitably big hammer. If I had needed to replace this wheel because of a puncture at the side of the road - Not a chance.

b) The locking nuts don't fit on the new rims. Hence I've only done 2 wheels until I can pick up 4 more non-locking nuts.

Hopefully this might remove the need for chains, though the last time I used them (Tignes 2 years ago) it was at the behest of the Gendarmes, so wouldn't have made any difference.

LR
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LittleRob wrote:

Hopefully this might remove the need for chains, though the last time I used them (Tignes 2 years ago) it was at the behest of the Gendarmes, so wouldn't have made any difference.

If you say "Pneus Neige" at them they'll (normally) let you proceed without putting chains on. Although in the Christmas Snowmageddon I was asked to confirm I had four winter tyres and was also carrying chains.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobW I've got Vredestein Wintrac xtreme S but I'm not sure that they count as a Snow tyre. ISTR a discussion (probably on here) about the various Winter - vs- Snow - vs Mud tyres available.
ski holidays
@LittleRob, The classic trick for wheels that wont come off is to loosen the wheelnuts a bit (not too much!) and then lower the car back onto the ground. The weight of the car then often breaks the sticktion.

However if the heavy hammer is to hand................
latest report
@LittleRob, They've got the mountain/snowflake symbol on them so as far as gendarmes are concerned they are normally an acceptable alternative to chains.
snow report
DJL I did read that, and I think with a hydraulic jack that would be possible, but I'm using the scissor jack that came with the car. I did try it - you should have seen my arms, going like the clappers they were wink

In the end the hammer did it, though of course (for the sake of any future readers) not directly onto the alloy rims. I used a bit of wood to protect them. I've heard that some copper grease might help for next time (not that I had any) but I've also heard that it doesn't make any difference. So take your pick.
snow report
Using a torque wrench when you put the wheels on will help with getting them off again wink
latest report
When the conditions are really bad, the Gendarmes will insist on chains regardless of whether you have snow tyres or not, although they will sometimes make an exception for a decent 4 wheel drive with good winter tyres (and usually a swift appraisal of how clued-up the driver seems to be...).
snow conditions
Quote:

an exception for a decent 4 wheel drive with good winter tyres

Discovery with winters on - check

Quote:

usually a swift appraisal of how clued-up the driver seems to be.

Ahhh Embarassed
ski holidays
LittleRob wrote:

I've never seen a manufacturers recommendation or anything like that. What do other people do?

LR

Chains skould only be used on snow. Most of the time in a deeper snow. Chains are useless and dangerious on roads without snow (breaking and manouvering).
latest report
And today's lesson is: (let me hear you at the back) "Don't forget to fit your spigot rings" wink
ski holidays
Quote:

copper grease might help for next time

Yes it will. Brilliant stuff. If I take a nut/bolt off anything, car, motorbike, bicycle I cover with copper grease before replacing. Next time it comes off as sweet as a .......nut Toofy Grin
snow conditions
robapplegate wrote:
Quote:

Yes it will. Brilliant stuff. If I take a nut/bolt off anything, car, motorbike, bicycle I cover with copper grease before replacing. Next time it comes off as sweet as a .......nut Toofy Grin

Failing that a blob of petroleum jelly or Vaseline will also work.
snow conditions
I find copper grease on the friction side of the brake pads is great for extending the life of both pads and discs.
ski holidays
robapplegate wrote:
Quote:
:

Failing that a blob of petroleum jelly or Vaseline will also work.

Plus a drop of loctite to stop them working loose.
snow report
@ansta1, Old jokes, don't you love em.
@johnE, good point, never get round to that one
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy