Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Training has reduced my ankle/calf flexibility

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In my preparation for skiing I have neglected squats a bit. Lots of running (trying to get a 10k in once a week) plus short runs and mountain biking. Problem is I don't like being in the house or gym. 4 weeks to go and thought I'd best bite the bullet and do some squats and calf exercises on edge of steps. I've found I can barely dip down into a squat or step dip because my calf's are so tight! I'm annoyed with myself for skipping the 'boring' stuff now :@ Any suggestions to get the flexibility back?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After (and during, if the machines are busy) every exercise session, I stretch my calves using a variation on the touching toes whilst sat down type stretches. Also started to do it mindlessly whilst watching telly etc, and it's made the difference between being 5 inches away from touching toes to being able to touch the ground. Only took a week intensive effort to make a serious difference to be honest. Just be gentle on them and work at it every day. As a by product of that it helps with your back and shoulders too.

Not a doctor or physio, but it works for me Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I warm up first; 15 mins on bike and 5 mins fast walk on max elevation on running machine, then do the following:

1. Ball of right foot on a stair, holding 15Kg weight in right hand drop right heel as far as you can and hold for a minute.
2. Bend the right knee and hild for another minute
3. Swop legs and repeat.
4. Leg up on a bar, or anything, about hip height - touch toes, hold for a minute and swop.
5. Stand up straight, pull heel to bum and hold for a minute then swop.
6. Squat on one leg, extending other in front, touch toes on extended leg for one minute then pull toes towards you for another minute, swop.
7. Touch floor ten times, raise toes on something about 2" tall and do it again, then raise heels the same and repeat.

Sorted
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Whitty, get a Medi-Dyne Prostretch online and use it! Job done Very Happy amazing piece of kit, oh and foam roller your calves too Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the responses. @Mosha Marc, that was tough! Might be coming down stairs on my backside tomorrow when the pain arrives. @call me dave, this sounds a bit easier Happy I could touch my toes easily before I started running Sad @sarah, never seen one of those before. Just watched the YouTube video, very interesting bit of equipment.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Prostretch is a good tool for helping to stretch your calf muscles, remember to also do the stretches with the knee bent
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you wearing trainers? Most people will struggle to squat keeping their heels on the floor if barefoot. As mentioned - warm up and then do some calf stretches, won't take much to get back to your usual flexibility - take a look online for pictures or videos to help if you need it. Usually best also to stretch after exercise, not before.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, I wear my trainers. I've been doing the stretches mentioned above after my runs and noticed big improvement already.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy