Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I need help picking skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm getting a new pair of skis for Christmas and I'm not sure what ones to get. I demo'd the Salomon screams in Colorado last year and they seemed pretty nice. I talked to some guys at a shop and they recomended: Elan 666, Fischer Big Stix 7.6, and Fischer RX6's. They said these skis would "chatter" less at high speeds compared to the Salomon Scream Pilot 10's. I'm not sure what ones to get cause I don't think I sill have an opportunity to demo them all. Any advice or thoughts on these skis would be great. Or if there are other skis I should consider I'm open to suggestions. Thanks guys.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are 3 different types of skis unless im not mistaken. The Big Stix are discontinued and replaced by the amc range I think. They are more of an all mounatin ski hence the 7.6 which means a 76mm waist whereas the rx6 is around 66mm like the rx8 I think. It all depends on where you will be skiing. How good a skier you are, your height weight etc. I think the Screams were replaced by the scrambler range. Are you after an all mountain ski or one geared more towards off-piste. As for the chatter comparison Im not sure. Whoever is giving you advice is giving you bad advice putting those 3 in the same category.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pbplayer_1357, At the end of the day you should never buy skis without trying them first. Next time you go talk to guys in the shop and then try whatever they recommend, or have a lesson and ask your instructor, who should be able to recommend the right sort of ski for your level. Get whoever's buying you the skis to give you a token to be used later when you've really decided on your faves. "seemed pretty nice" isn't the reaction you're looking for... "these are the best thing since sliced bread - I have to have them" is!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I'll probaly be able to demo the RX6's. I've heard lots of good things about them so I can't wait to demo them. I wasn't directly talking to the peopl at the ski shop my mom was. While she was talking I was looking at the skis online. When I heard the recomendations I wasn't really sure what to think. I mostly ski all mountain and not much if any off piste. Heres some information about my self and my ski style if it helps any:
Height: 5'6
Weight: 130
I ski all mountain, I can ski most everything but I don't really like moguls, I like to go fast and turn a little but I'd carve if I had skis that carved well (my current ones don't carve great). I don't really ski powder cause there's not a lot around here in the first place.
You guys have been helpful and I've learned quite a bit more about skis since I registered here Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rossignol Bandits (2s) cannot go wrong. They cover everthing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NickW, do everything OK and nothing very well!!!

pbplayer_1357, will your mom be going skiing with you? If she's paying then the main thing is just to get her on board for trying as many as you can before she hands over the cash! Get her to read this thread!

Good luck - Great Christmas present!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As ouyr on the lighter side it is debatable as to the waist you would need for an all-mountain ski. Make sure you go for the correct length as you may have trouble flexing anything above a 170cm though I could be wrong. I think the B3 bandit is more like last years B2 than the B2 this year is. You could try a fischer rx8 in a 160 length though it is not great for serious off-piste.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I will be hookin up a pair of RX8's. I've been doing a lot of research and they seem like the ski for me.
Easiski, My mom will be snowboarding with me and she's paying but I will probaly pay for some of the skis if need be.
Everyone, Thanks for the help It has been greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas to everyone
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy