Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A afternoon on the way to Chamonix: Les Contamines or St Gervais??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Getting the ridiculously early flight out on Wednesday morning so we can get a good half day in somewhere as a warm up for chamonix. Weather is looking a bit overcast but no significant snow. Have done a day in st gervais before, enjoyed it but the visibility was virtually non existent, so hard to judge it. How does les contamines compare? Looking for some reasonably steep slopes and a bit of easily accessible off piste dabbling. Other recommendations also welcome
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't Megeve the resort to head for in poor visibility?

Either that or turn left off the Autoroute and head up to Les Carroz but it's not on the Chamonix lift pass.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megeve and St Gervais next to each other. Easy to get between them. Both very similar resorts in terms of low lying tree skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't be much more help than that. I haven't been to les contamines but from what I heard it is big powder fields. Not as big as st gervais.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you can get over on a flat flight day go to la gietaz, its awesome for trees!

contamine on the other hand I've leave well alone until the sun comes out!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
St G and Megeve are more like one biggish area and they are indeed right next to each other .. lots to choose from and it's all lift linked. I've only skied les Contamines once but David at Unlimited Sports in SG always points me there for better snow .. it's a big bowl / moonscape .. or that's how I describe it. +1 for checking out la gietaz too .. I tried to go over there last year but had a few confidence issues with my 7 yr old and had to bail .. we're going over there this year for sure.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm heading to Les C on THursday afternoon/evening but its looking a bit foggy on Friday so I will probably ski in St Nicholas / Saint Gervais - more trees than Les C. In your situation I'd aim for St Gervais - just get the bubble up to Bettex and ski there and over to Megeve / Princess. Pistes in the trees and plenty of tree/meadow skiing options if you like that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Houches, the snow was superb today.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't do the comparison as I've only been to Contamines. Trip report http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2206261&highlight=contamines#2206261

Some decent lift accessible off piste for sure. It was pretty good when we were there but I would imagine it's hooching right now. Not much in the trees though so vis needs to be OK.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've skied Les Contamines and St Gervais/Megeve, Contamines is almost completely above the tree-line and St Gervais/Megeve is mostly pretty tame terrain, so I think Les Carroz might be a good option for you, trees lower down and big powderfields up higher in the Vernant valley with some gnarly stuff off Tete des Saix down to Samoens 1600, they do a 4hr Massif pass for €34.

http://winter.grand-massif.com/our-ski-passes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers all the advice...will probably decide based on how the clouds are looking on the motorway. Last time I skied st gervais it was mellow tree runs in about a foot of the fresh stuff, remember it being great fun... a nice problem to have! Will have a look at carroz too, hadnt thought of that area
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy