Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitting - rentals!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I've read a few boot fitting threads Confused And wondering how I can benefit, if at all...

I'm mid 40s and get down most slopes due to strength and balance rather than technique. Sometimes I'm not upright either... Done maybe 12 weeks in 25 years, now the children are old enough I'm trying to increase that frequency but it's still likely to be only one week a year. We have always rented kit and will continue for the next few years I guess. I learn here that rental boots are a different breed to sale boots.

I have no idea what boots I get each time, whatever the shop gives me, but they usually seem ok, I don't get the message that I have freaky feet. All I know when fitting is that my big toe shouldn't touch the end! Though I do seem to fuss about with the clips on the slopes as the day or week goes on, trying to get them tighter as my confidence increases. Shoe size is 43, sometimes a bit wide.

So:

Should I be fussier in the rental shop? I see comments about 10-15mm at the back without liners. Never took a liner out. I also saw that rental liners are (?) different from purchased as they don't compress - or they do but earlier renters have done that already.

In two weeks we go to a resort with a recommended boot fitter. Should I use/waste his time? Will I learn anything about my feet and ski boots, or are his skills only suited to someone buying? I'm happy to pay 20-30 euros for good advice even if I'm not going to buy boots, if it helps me with rentals. Would he even do this, or is his business model to sell boots? Genuine question.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice Smile comments such as "at your level you won't gain anything, carry on how you were" are also welcome Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Orange200, boots last me around 120 days before I need new liners. Shells usually get replaced after the 2nd set of liners expire.

At a week a year, a well fitted pair of boots will see you about 20 years.

Isn't that going to be cheaper and better than renting?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a quick look at

http://welove2ski.com/the-good-ski-and-boot-rental-guide

Your toes should be up against the front of boots when you put them on but move back when you flex into a skiing stance.

It's amazing how little discount shops give for you having your own boots and only renting skis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Orange200, I'm in almost the same situation as you.
Most people I have spoken say the most important pieces of kit are helmet and boots. I've had plenty of hire boots that seem OK but the almost unanimous advice I get is that buying your own well fitted boots mean you have a significantly better connection with the bits that do the steering and stopping (legs/skis), thereby improving your ski-ing compared to if wearing average rentals. I've also read loads of threads, Youtube posting, etc, that seem to confirm this, and this year WILL BE BUYING my own boots.
This year's good ski-ing in rentsl boots I could feel my foot moving about in have convinced me that my champagne tastes are justified! Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm in a similar position too, after just finishing my 5th week, I think it's now time to buy.

My experience with hiring boots is that it's always a bit of a lottery - however it's taken me a long time to figure out one thing. When ordering your ski gear online i.e. boots, they always ask you for your size. Now, when I first started skiing I obviously just put my shoe size and thought nothing of it. Then, once I realised that this would be too big, I started putting a smaller size. Finally, a couple of days into my first trip last year, I was in the process of changing my boots (which were too tight) the guy in the ski shop actually measured my feet! Surprise surprise, I got great fitting boots.

So on all my subsequent trips I never put my size on the online form and let the ski shop measure me and decide what boots I should have. I know it seems obvious, and I'm a bit of a doughnut but I always felt I should be filling in the online form!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy