Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Binding to fit Alpine Boot also?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is there such a thing as a quality touring binding which will fit both a touring boot as well as an Alpine boot? Just learning about touring gear, I have a way to go, and am going to invest in a whole new touring set up, would be nice if required to be able to ski my touring/freeride ski on my alpine alpine boot aswell as on the touring boot that i buy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use the Atomic Tracker / Salomon Guardian bindings on my mid and full fat skis. The latest model has a sliding friction plate for all soles, if your touring boot is not too rocketed then you can get an older version cheaper. A little heavy but feels rock solid, just like a normal Alpine binding.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Scarpa. What do you mean by rocketed, do you mean the opposite of concave on the sole, ie what they would call rockered in a ski?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fritshi bindings and Marker bindings (I have both) have adjustment to fit alpine (downhill) and touring boots, as far as I am aware all touring binding except dynafit (or similar using pins inserted to the boots) can be adjusted to fit alpine boots
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jbk12, Damn autocorrect, I typed rocketed Laughing Many touring boots have a curved sole for easier walking, most dual purpose bindings will accommodate this. The older Tracker binding had a fixed anti friction place and even when adjusted high some soles would press down too hard on it for consistent releases in the event of a crash. In my case I just cut out a section of the vibram sole in my Dynafit touring boots and glued a small section of replacement alpine sole plate onto them. Have had no problems with them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, they also come in two sizes and two DIN ranges.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent thanks 'on the rocks' and 'scarpa' for your advice. I've been doing my shopping and looking for a bit of decent value on a set of bindings that would be stiff enough for a fair bit of downhill but won't be so heavy that they'll completely defeat the object of the fairly light Dynastar Cham 87 HM 172 ski that i'm going to fit them on + of course will work with both my new Scott Cosmos Tour II boot + my old Tecnica explosion 8 alpine boot (excuse the name dropping, just giving you context!). My research so far has me looking at Marker Tour, Marker Baron and Marker Duke bindings. Anybody have any view on pro's and cons', reviews having skied them and or which'd be most appropriate for me, considering i guess I guess 70% on piste, 10% off piste & 20% off piste via touring?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For 70% on piste, I'm surprised the Salomon Guardian (same product as Atomic Tracker, just a re-branded appearence; Salomon and Atomic worked on the binding together) hasn't come up in your research yet. Worth a look. Lots of really good information on YouTube for the Guardian (Cody Townsend helped in the development and has some vids up) and they get good reviews. The Dynafit 'Beast' 14 and 16 are the 'best in slot' if you're doing a higher percentage of off-piste or up, but @70% the Guardian is pretty much tailored to your need. Also don't need special boots for Guardian [though knowing little about boots, I don't know if your existing boot is already ready for the special pins of the Beasts. If yes: the Beast would be a no-brainer for you, I would suggest].

And Scarpa is trying to say 'rockered' Smile

Edit - ah - I see you're trying to keep weight down... And these Guardians are pretty heavy. Sorry if that's why you're avoiding them!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guardians, Barons, Dukes, Marker Tours and Fritschis will fit normal Alpine boots. None of them are particularly light but will do the job for shorter skins where weight is less of an issue.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy