Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after Calcaneus (Heel) Fracture ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I broke my right foot calcaneus (heel bone) in mid October from falling off a ladder. Recovery has gone pretty well as it wasthe only bone I broke.
I was non weight bearing until Christmas (10 weeks) and have been walking on it since then.
I am going to the gym daily(ish) to build up the muscles in the foot and leg as it is still noticeably weaker.
I have pretty good range of motion (enough for a ski boot). I am going skiing in Morzine in mid February (so 4 month after the accident).
Last weekend I tried to put my old ski boots on and could get it on (just) but the heel is way too tight as my foot is still swollen.
Apparently I am likely to have a wide heel on that foot permanently.
I have booked a visit to the bootfitters next week so hoping they can do something miraculous with my boots!
i would put my level of skiing pre injury as intermediate (black runs and off piste are skiable but not stylish!).
Has anyone had a similar injury and got any advice/tips ?
Thanks
Peter
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PeterTTT, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy

Hopefully the bootfitter will be able to help. I fractured my ankle inside and out in November and am hoping to ski before the end of the season. I am struggling at the moment as the foot is still so swollen so actually even if skiing had been ok when we go away in February I doubt I could have tolerated my boots. I do have a great new simple gadget recommended here to me which you might find useful - I am nowhere near trying ski boots but I have used it to get into walking boots. (I have no connection with the company, it was just something I have found very helpful when you are at the point of swearing and spluttering trying to get into footwear with a painful foot!)

http://www.slippinltd.com/

Good luck snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A bit of reassurance, I had a similar experience, I broke the bone where one of the heel ligaments attaches, it healed with a noticeable bony lump. I found that skiing was the least painful sort of exercise due to the support of the boot, getting the boot on used to hurt but once it was on, no problems. In my case the liner (standard thermofit) packed out to accept the lump over a week or so and no major boot surgery was needed. I tried hire boots once when I had the chance of an odd day and didn't have my boots, not a good idea!!
Don't get your boots hacked too much if the foot is still swollen though. Hope it goes well!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. Great to hear you coped and good idea re those slippin as anything to help getting boot on at moment is appreciated !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PeterTTT wrote:
Hi
I broke my right foot calcaneus (heel bone) in mid October from falling off a ladder. Recovery has gone pretty well as it wasthe only bone I broke.
I was non weight bearing until Christmas (10 weeks) and have been walking on it since then.
I am going to the gym daily(ish) to build up the muscles in the foot and leg as it is still noticeably weaker.
I have pretty good range of motion (enough for a ski boot). I am going skiing in Morzine in mid February (so 4 month after the accident).
Last weekend I tried to put my old ski boots on and could get it on (just) but the heel is way too tight as my foot is still swollen.
Apparently I am likely to have a wide heel on that foot permanently.
I have booked a visit to the bootfitters next week so hoping they can do something miraculous with my boots!
i would put my level of skiing pre injury as intermediate (black runs and off piste are skiable but not stylish!).
Has anyone had a similar injury and got any advice/tips ?
Thanks
Peter

That is a rotten injury that can be slow.

Bear in mind that even at this stage some of the altered shape of the foot will be swelling so perhaps try and get old boots stretched rather than get a new pair. You may find next winter the heel is a bit slimmer.

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quick update and thanks again for the advice above.
I went to Profeet in Fulham to see what they could do with my boots. They had good long look and decided best course of action was just to heat boot up and expand the heel area which can easily be altered again if/when my heel changes size again. So far it seems comfortable enough just trying them on and will try skiing with them next week.
Also I am now a big fan of the slippin mentioned above !

Peter
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PeterTTT wrote:
Quick update and thanks again for the advice above.
I went to Profeet in Fulham to see what they could do with my boots. They had good long look and decided best course of action was just to heat boot up and expand the heel area which can easily be altered again if/when my heel changes size again. So far it seems comfortable enough just trying them on and will try skiing with them next week.
Also I am now a big fan of the slippin mentioned above !

Peter

Good result that they could stretch the boot.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @PeterTTT, Im 14, I broke my ankle in a rugby match on September the 13th. The next morning I had an operation where two screws were put in to re-attach the fragments and align them with the growth plate. I was non weight bearing for 8 weeks and then used a boot to start partially weight bearing for 6 weeks. I then started physio and have been doing so for a while to improve my proprioception and to try and rebuild the muscles surrounding the ankle and my calf. The physio and doctors are happy with my range of motion (dorsi flexion and opposite etc) and I had my ankle x-rayed recently just to check that the bone was heeled and able to withstand the forces of skiing. I'm still not back to sport but doctors seem to be happy for me to ski as your ankle is fairly supported in a ski boot and there isn't a lot of movement other than boot flex. Although, I am still worried that I might experience some pain....I have skiing booked for Friday for a week in Andermatt, hopefully all will be ok, hope you recover quickly and enjoy your skiing Smile

Best of luck,

Euan
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Euan .. sounds like you had a much more "complicated" injury than me but it also sounds like you have done all the right things to ensure it heals as best as it can, besides at 14 you will heal much quicker than oldies like me ! Enjoy the skiing also Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a (late!) update in case anyone else gets similar injury and vies this thread .... Skiing was ok. I was definately more cautious for the week but as it was half term week the pistes were pretty crowded anyway. I noticed that the foot swelled quite a bit during the day so that actually getting the boot off was not always easy! I am looking forward to skiing next year already
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PeterTTT, thanks for the post and the updates. I have broken my heel bone end of November, today are 45 days of non weight bearing, and I start progressive weight bearing exercises and physiotherapy. It will be 10th/15th February when I will be able to step on the foot fully without crutches. I am so keen on skiing that I am about to start crying if I think about missing the season. At that point I still cannot put my normal soft snickers because of the swelling. I am sure that in February I will be able to start skiing no matter if pain, but what bothers me is the possibility to develop some long term issue with my foot- studies say that the bones heal almost in months and completely after 1 year. Does anybody has experience on long term, when starting skiing/snowboarding after 3 months after fracture of the foot? Any other information on the topic will be helpful Eh oh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy