Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keela fleeces and shells

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey there,

I recently sold off my not ideally fitting jackets to go for a nice Keela munro.... having got rid of my jackets, I was told not to buy anything else I might spoil my christmas present..... so Im guessing that means the munro will not be my next jacket!

But having read such good things on here, I would like to try something keela.... so I was looking at a soft shell or waterproof fleece. Both the Zenith shell and genesis can be had for about £50 if you shop around. Has anyone used either of these?

I have never owned a soft shell.... is the zenith going to be as warm/soft/comfortable as a fleece? Is a waterproof fleece an alternative- id almost be concerned that the fleece could be too warm! Can you wear either of these garments under an outer jacket or does this ruin the breathability of your clothing system?

Thanks

Adam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You know, for the sake of 3 days I wouldn't try second guessing anything Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Softshells....they are really confusing...so many different materials promising so much. I have a Patagonia softshell which I bought many years ago and use a lot but this one is supposed to replace the two layers of base/mid layer, so I always wear it under my hardshell when skiing.

These days softshells are targeted as a replacement of the midlayer and the hardshell. I hear that they are not particularly warm so better suited for spring skiing. I think they are really great for high exertion sports where you keep moving all the time (like climbing), not so sure that they will keep you warm on a long chairlift.
wrt waterproofness they are probably adequate for 95% of the time. only in very heavy snow/rain then you should either switch to a full-on hardshell or use a thin waterproof shell (like a poncho) over the softshell.

Interested to hear other opinions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch wrote:
You know, for the sake of 3 days I wouldn't try second guessing anything Very Happy

You mean someone might have listened and bought me a keela!? snowHead

Snowman,

Given my small amount of snow time, anything I get has to be dual purpose else it is alot of money and not enough use to justify! For instance I was going to get the keela munro because it is supposed to be highly waterproof so it is useful for rain as well as snow. In a shell/fleece, Im not concerned that it can keep me at full temperature all on it's own on a cold day, rather that on the snow, it is good for a warmer day or with layers below or good enough to keep me warm when at home and brush off the odd shower....

I really have no idea when one should go for a softshell versus a waterproof fleece!

Adam
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

nice Keela munro

I wore my new Munro on the Brecon Beacons way walk and it was excellent, well vented, totally waterproof (in 60mph lashing rain) and the best hood I've ever worn. Lets hope Santa's antennae have been well tuned.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
buns, snowman how you'll do with a softshell depends on how hot you run yourself, and how hot you want to run. I normally ski in just two layers (+ a warm hat): a Polartec 100 baselayer and a fairly lightweight windproof fleece (Mountain Equipment Guide Jacket). I now seem to have about 3 windproofs in total rolling eyes - the one I was using plus two heavierweights. Last week this did me all week in Val d'Isere in all except two cases: a) a very windy morning at the top of Solaise with broken cloud, when I used my hardshell as well for about the first hour before it got too hot; and b) fairly heavy snow and poor visibility on Friday, when I put the hardshell on after a couple of hours. The combination still breathes pretty well, provided I don't get too hot. I guess I would normally use just the two layers down to about -15, provided I was keeping moving, but would then have something warmer to put on for lengthy stops (I hope to be getting a Mountain Hardware microfleece for Xmas for just this). Using your backpack as windshield/insulation on chairlifts also works pretty well as an additional windbreak. Last year at New Year I was in just the Polartec base and a thicker windproof fleece all week. Windproof fleeces are fine when it's snowing - just keep brushing it off - but although mine are supposed to be waterproof I doubt I'd want to trust them in serious rain. I suspect I run fairly hot when exercising though, and then prefer to feel slightly too cold rather than too hot - others in our group were wearing 4-5 layers Shocked .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buns,

atually you can look at most softshells as an almost waterproof fleece (unless it's a real downpour). my patagonia softshell has a fleecy lining and a shellfabric exterior. I forgot to mention that I also have a gore-tex windstopper jacket which I also wear under my hardshell but only when it's really cold. As multi-functional clothing softshells are really good except for the worst kind of weather.
I also remembered that Mountain Hardwear do a waterproof softshell but then it's probably not as breathable. there is always a trade-off between these two.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wohooo.... my endless ranting about new jackets has resulted in a Keela present! In future I will better appreciate my hint giving abilities!

I asked a similar question on epic ski.... Im getting the impression that a waterproof fleece is probably going to be less waterproof and lose its waterproof abilities faster than a softshell as well as being less breathible. On the other side, a softshell is likely to be not as warm.... does that sound right?

Adam
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Since I couldnt really find anyone anywhere who has used the Keela shells or waterproof fleeces, I went with a mountain hardwear alchemy soft shell thanks to help on epic ski..... cant wait to get it now!

Adam
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowman,

I have the MH Synchro which is great in light rain... I wouldn't want to be on the mountain in really wet weather without a hardshell and I have this jacket down as a mid layer in a 4 layer set up, or a spring snow jacket... I trialled it at the PSB and its not a real warmth layer so I will wear it with Merino base, microfleece, Soft sheel and hard shell in the pack, just in case..

But I don't have to take my windstopper fleece anymore... and neither they or Softshells will replace the need for a hard shell.. file them under spring skiing IMV
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS. The mountain hardwear alchemy is RRP about £180 but snowandrock have it on sale for £72
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buns,

Good spot but I've just bought a Velocity today.... which I am hopeing will be a good mid layer....
I'll still have my polartec300 for those cold days...!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowHead Jacket arrived this morn (awfully impressive for snowandrock to get it turned around and out to me so quickly).... It isnt quite as soft and stretchy as Id expected, but still a bargain! The 'unpopular' shark color is really very nice too!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have the same softshell as JT (MH Synchro). ALthough I've not used it skiing (only for cold weather cycling and strolling around hampstead heath!) yet I'd agree with everything he says.

I'd add one point - the synchro is very waterproof for a soft shell (taped seams etc.). Given that I still think you need a hard shell for bad weather, I do wonder whether I should have gone for something LESS waterproof and more breathable. It is a very nice jacket though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just noticed that www.backpackgeartest.org has some reviews of the Keela Rock Jacket. Not sure which jackets Keela recommend for skiing but here are some comments on one of thier range.

The site is, as its name suggests, aimed at back packing gear. Many of its contributors like the snow and so it has many reviews of equipment relevant to snow sports.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy