Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My budget ski trip 2015, advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I was in danger of not getting my ski fix this year but have pulled in out of the bag. My timid intermediate wife (ski wise that is) has agreed to a long weekend trip. Needs - some if not possibly all off the following : easy blues for her, challenging reds for me, nice village charm, nice grub, handy transfer, affordable, some apres ski . And all in near Bergamo, as I've got flights from dublin to bergamo for €70 return, out Thurs evening Feb 19th and back Mon evening Feb 23rd. So hope to ski all day Fri / Sat / Sun and most of Mon.

Here's my dilemna - where to go?
I had decided on Santa Caterina as a village with charm, nice food, fairly snow sure, accommodation almost on the slope, very affordable and near Bormio for more nice charm, visit thermal baths, grub one or two of the evenings and more skiing if needed. However I'm now thinking Santa Caterina has limited terrain for an early intermediate and Bormio maybe same. Also we are going to rent a car and Santa Caterina is 3 hours transfer (longer than I thought) as opposed to Chiesa or Passo Tonale which seem to be about 2 hours. Our flight gets in at 9pm so that's my concern, 3 hours at night! We could wait til the next morning but am anxious to be on skies first thing Friday...

So any advice?
-Is it worth sticking with Santa Caterina despite concerns re transfer and lack of blues ?
-Would people recommend Passo Tonale or will I get divorced for bringing the wife to bleak exposed pass with limited charm and possible dodgy weather?
-Is ponte di legno (linked to tonale??)a nice spot ? has anyone used it as a base?
-We've been too Madesimo but that's probably 3 hours and while it was week day when there before there was no apres atmopshere. We could stay down the valley in Chiavenna or Campodolcino and get Moto lift shortening transfer but I dont like the thought of not skiing back to base
-weve been to Madonna too but again its a bit too far and also pricey
-Has anyone been to Chiesa Valmalenco or Caspoggio ? cant find out much about them
-Is there anywhere else ? (think Champoluc / Montorosa area is too far / transfer)

Hope someone can steer me towards a super resort and while your at it find a nice affordable lodging too !!

Thanks

Landers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Consider Folgarida / Marilleva as they are a little closer to the airport than Passo Tonale, Marilleva is closer to the main road I think
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Car hire is super cheap at the moment in Italy so Monterosa is defintely within reach. If you stay in Sainte Jean there are a couple of really great restaurants and cheapish accommodation then it's an easy 15 minute drive up to the slopes each morning (plus a fun day to be had on the local Sainte Jean runs)
Otherwise I think Passo Tonale is much maligned. As long as you're not looking for off-piste there's some fun skiing and the tree lined run from Passo Tonale to Ponte di Legno is a treat.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks folks. Will check out tonale, folgarida n if monterosa area is a runner. I checked madesimo on route planner n nots as far as I thought, although if I remember right the last few kms are a bit hairy. Chiesa seems nice but town is removed from slopes. If the drive to Santa Caterina is ok / main road its still a good option
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm booked with my other half for 24th - 28th March with cheap Ryanair flights from East Mids to Bergamo £120 for the pair of us. £36 for a Fiat 500 for five days.

Got accom booked in Colico Piano on the banks of Como for the first night as we arrive in Italy at 6pmish. Then have a relaxed day slowly making our way to whichever resort we choose. Got accom reserved through Booking.com in Madesimo, Chiesa and Bormio then gonna decide a week or two before based on the best snow conditions/weather combo at the time, and cancel the other two. Lift passes in Bormio are on special offer that week and ski hire is cheap as chips.

Might go to Livigno or Santa Caterina for a day if we do got to Bormio and we will be visiting the Therme Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Ben,

I'm liking the look at Gressoney Saint Jean, the transfer is only 2hrs 20 mins form Bergamo. Is is dead in the evening ? Has it local slopes or is a shuttle bus away from the action. Finally is there access to slopes for timid intermediates. Im also now looking at Courmayer??

Ive used booking.com and have free cancellation on Santa Caterina / Bormio / Saint Jean

My dates are the end of the mid term so accommodation options are limited in some resorts ie tonale and ponte di legno

still not sure which direction to go, suppose I need to narrow down what my priorities are !!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well there are a handful of really nice restaurants which were fairly busy in the evenings and a few shops (we self-catered a couple of nights). I think there are a couple of bars but they're pretty quiet. If you want to dance on the tables then it's the wrong place.
The local runs are quite good and as timid intermediates you'll get at least a day out of them but then it's a shuttle bus to Gressoney to get onto the main lift system. Sounds like you don't drive cos otherwise I would recommend hiring a car.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decided on chiesa, for gentle slopes, very affordable, easy drive for me and hopefully nice charm and grub. Bit worried that there be little or no apres but you can't have it all. Also even though I got a great deal hopefully we haven't hit peak week with mid term and Italians arriving for weekend...

We might take spun to Bormio or Santa Caterina one of the days. Ill post a report on the trip. Thanks for the advice
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy