Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow and ice inside new boots

Poster: A snowHead
Both I and my OH have new Lange boots, and we are on the second day with them. We have come down a size each from our previous boots, and they were pretty painful the first day, improving today. Both of us had numb, cold feet, and put it down to new boots and liners, restricted circulation, tight calves etc. Yesterday, when I removed my liner at the end of the day, there was a decent quantity of snow in the shell, which I assumed had fallen in as I removed the liner. Today my OH said she could see ice inside her shells on the lift, so when we finished we cleaned all snow off the outside, removed the liners, and sure enough there was at least 2 heaped tablespoons of snow inside.
Our lower buckles are as loose as possible, as the boots still feel very tight, and there seems to be very little overlap of the shell under the bottom buckles. The resulting cold makes it really hard to ski well. Is this a design fault of Lange boots, or common when down sizing ? Is duct tape the only answer for new boots that do not appear to be fit for purpose ? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cstreat, absolutely weird, and very unpleasant in current cold conditions. No suggestions, sorry, but commiserations.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cstreat, you probably need to clip the lower buckles just a little bit more, not a lot not a whole notch just a couple of winds of the micro adjustment this will help the boot seal more completely

no ski boot is water/snow proof and most will allow a small amount in depending on conditions and how they are clipped.... the other thing you need to do is make sure the boots are dry overnight, as the other thing that can happen is moisture from your foot (yes we all sweat a bit) can condense and freeze inside the shell
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

no ski boot is water/snow proof and most will allow a small amount in depending on conditions and how they are clipped.... the other thing you need to do is make sure the boots are dry overnight, as the other thing that can happen is moisture from your foot (yes we all sweat a bit) can condense and freeze inside the shell

I must just be lucky. My hands are not strong enough to pull liners out and dry boots properly overnight, though I have a cold air blower and generally leave them on that all night. They always seem dry inside - I also tend to put boot warm blower things in them before going out in the morning, if it's really chilly (the warmth makes them easier to put on, too).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Colin. I take my liners out and low heat dry them as I am a bit of a sweater ! I think I will tape them and just clip up a bit tighter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Which model are they? Also I have to do mine up using the power strap first and work down for a closed fit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What CEM says. If you have the very front buckle completely loose a big gap will open up and lots of snow will get in. If you look carefully you can see the gap. And as you tighten up the buckle you can see the plastic bend over until it seals. That point is the minimum tension required in the buckle. At that point it hasn't really made the volume for your foot less so it shouldn't feel any tighter. A bit of experimenting with the micro adjusters and the problem should go away.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks; they really weren't done up at all as they have been painfully tight due to newness and problems with a new sidas footbed; they are Lange rx 120 and rx 100 lv.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cstreat, Something's very wrong if you can't even do them up enough to keep the water out...

What persuaded you to buy a size too small?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yet another argument for renting boots - Not that that is what you wanted hear. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cling Film ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They will probably be fine when they have packed down. First day with my Lange WC boots I could only manage an hour at a time before I had to go in and give my feet a rest. And I could barely clip them up on the bottom two buckles. Fast forward to about 15 days with them and one further session with a boot fitter and I'm skiing all day with boots that really FIT.

Most people buy boots which are too big because they have the idea that they should feel supremely comfortable when they try them on in the shop.To get a performance fit they have to feel tight at first and you have to expect some discomfort breaking them in as the liner packs down and shapes itself to your foot. Since that process is a bit hit and miss you can also expect to to go back to the fitter after (say) a week fot a bit of fine tuning.

It's the same with any pair of decent shoes, or a leather bike saddle or a a weghtlifting belt and so on.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I must just be lucky. My hands are not strong enough to pull liners out and dry boots properly overnight, though I have a cold air blower and generally leave them on that all night. They always seem dry inside - I also tend to put boot warm blower things in them before going out in the morning, if it's really chilly (the warmth makes them easier to put on, too).

same here . I've never taken my liners out and I rarely remember to put the boot warmers in
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hyperkub, That`s what we are aiming for, and I could have micro adjusted them better. Infact today, if they had stayed dry, they would have been pretty good. Really bad visibility in Val Cenis has meant a lot of skiing in the backseat !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CEM, "moisture from your foot (yes we all sweat a bit) can condense and freeze inside the shell"

When it's really cold that's what I get - when I first saw it I could not figure out how ice was getting inside the boot. Me -->

I rinse out my socks every evening (have two pairs that I cycle) and dry my boots/liners overnight in the normal closed position so that they hold their shape.
ski holidays
Your boots are too small - simples! Ange
latest report
@flangesax, Or simply too narrow thus preventing the two lower buckles to be fastened tight enough to prevent snow ingress? But hey, what do I know? Sad
snow report
too narrow = too small, surely. Ange
snow conditions
@flangesax, They could be the correct length but wrong width. But yes, you're right Ange (also my wife's name so I'm well trained Happy )
snow report
good man. Ange
snow report
@flangesax, Yes dear.
snow report
Odd, I sometimes don't even bother doing up the bottom buckles on my Langes and they have never ever allowed ingress.
ski holidays
@macgyver, The issue the OP has is that feet are too big for their boots and so the shell is 'bulging' over the forefoot to an extent where water gets in.

Your boots fit, so the problem does not arise
snow report
people are forgetting a few facts here, the OP hasn't once said their boots were too small, they simply said they were a size smaller than their previous boots (which could have been a bit too big?) and were very tight new boots take a bit of time to bed in and liners to settle down (this was day 2!!), which some times mean people ski with them loose or open to relax a little, it also depends on snow conditions and the type of snow crystals (early season glacier skiing and th snow crystals are very fine and they can get everywhere)

the order of clipping is also important as when you go into a boot your foot natually goes to the front of the liner, if you clip up the boot top two bukcles first, the power strap,(then get the ankle buckle really tight ) flex a few times and then the lower buckles snap tight so they are not going to flap around but not crush the foot, by doing it this way the foot moves back to the heel pocket and gives more space around the forefoot which means you can do the clips a little tighter with causing a constriction

not sure why everyone jumps to the conclusion that they are the wrong boot / size
snow report
CEM wrote:
not sure why everyone jumps to the conclusion that they are the wrong boot / size

Jumping to conclusions is de rigeur on snowHeads wink
snow report
It could be because the clips fit on the boots when there is no foot in them.
Then a foot is put in the boot.
Then the clips don't close.
As if something a little large that is inside the boot is preventing the clips from reaching as far as they need to to ensure the boot clips shut.
snow report
@flangesax, You are right; gave up yesterday in agony across forefoot, after about 8 runs during the day ( normally ski all day) having micro tensioned front buckles. Normally take a 45/46 shoe, and Glisshop questioned me how I could have a mondo 27.5 boot, but I trusted my boot fitter. The new Sidas footbeds, with heel stabilisers were binned on day 1, as it felt like a pebble under my arch, returning to my old customs, sans stabiliser. Wife has suffered a black nail, raw shin, and many tears, and was told by 2 shops here that her 41 foot was too big for her mondo 25.5. Now hiring and p***ed off.
snow conditions
@cstreat, I wish this was not the first time I have heard this story.
It is something we see happen to snowHead 's every year.
Just make sure you don't literally bin anything - there is always ebay!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cstreat wrote:
new Sidas footbeds, with heel stabilisers were binned on day 1, as it felt like a pebble under my arch.

I think this was a mistake. As someone who wears orthotics in my daily shoes to align various joints, it takes a little time to become accustomed to them. In fact, my podiatrist recommended wearing them for only a couple of hours each day in the beginning and then slowly increasing the time period until my muscles and joints were accustomed to the new positioning.

I know that people on a 1-week holiday don't have that luxury but my point is that footbeds can feel uncomfortable in the beginning. Just give them time.

Also, without the arch support of the footbeds and, I'm guessing, the heel support, your foot will lengthen in your boots, making the boots feel too small.
ski holidays
@cstreat

Here's a mondopoint table:

www.skibootsizingcharts.com

Are you sure about your foot and boot sizes?
latest report
We had a great day today, skiing hard in our hired boots. It`s a complicated situation, so I will leave it at that. Cheers
snow report
Quote:
Normally take a 45/46 shoe, and Glisshop questioned me how I could have a mondo 27.5

By way of comparison I'm a 42.5/27 combo and my Salomon x-max 100's are super comfy (and dry) all day long
latest report
Which is why I posted the table.wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 28-01-15 19:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@cstreat, out of interest, where did you get the boots?
ski holidays
Now I'm confused- I'm a UK 10, and my (comfy but tight) boots are 27. According to the chart at the link above they should be too small. And on a trip 2 wk's ago I did a day on touring skis and boots. The guide asked my foot size and gave me 27.5 boots, which were too big. They were replaced with 27's, which were brand new but a better fit (my feet were sore by the end of the day, but I'd expect this in brand new boots). So, from my own experience I'd say size 10 is roughly 27 or 27.5. How come?! Puzzled
snow report
@Tom Doc, you've got the liners in there too right? Not just bare feet inside the shell? (which would explain why your poor feet were sore...)
snow report
Bought a new pair of Tecnica boots 2 years ago, fit well but let snow and water in through gap in overlap across the top of each foot. I have put draught excluder pieces in the overlap area, problem 95% (approx.) solved.
latest report
red 27 wrote:
@Tom Doc, you've got the liners in there too right? Not just bare feet inside the shell? (which would explain why your poor feet were sore...)
Laughing Laughing
snow report
I had exactly the same with a pair of Lange Boots, despite bodge tape and taking the liners out each night. Awful.. Can't tell you what model as they went to the Poubelle 2 years ago. No probs at all with the Dalbello replacements.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, why would taking the liners out at night stop them leaking during the day Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy