Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What on earth to do at Chambery airport for 4.5hrs!!

Poster: A snowHead
So due to friends being on other flights I will find myself arriving at Chambery in a couple of weeks 4.5hr before my flight - and 2.5 even before check in opens!! The only alternative was a public bus that arrives just as check in opens but takes much longer and so leaves resort only a bit after our transfer.

So what on earth am I going to do at the airport with myself for all that time? I've not flown from there but well aware it's not exactly Heathrow! Any tips? Anything worthwhile nearby - good places for lunch etc? Is it worth going into town? I'll have my luggage with me until check in opens.

Starting to wish I was going via Geneva!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the airport is tiny, only a smallish restaurant and bar. I would look at alternatives nearby the airport, although I'm clueless on the local area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A fantastic opportunity to have a couple of hours alone with a good book......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TommyJ, Maybe worth going into Aix les Bains or Bourget du Lac and have lunch or a drink in a restaurant overlooking the lake (Lac du Bourget). You'll probably have to get a taxi but it shouldn't be much, maybe 10 euros.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drink heavily?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try le Calypso in Bourget du Lac, it has a fantastic view of the lake and some reasonable reviews on tripadvisor. It is open everday for lunch and evening meal.
I've never been so can't personally recommend it but it's probably worth a visit.
http://www.bourgetdulactourisme.com/fr/hebergements-et-restauration-bourget-du-lac/restauration-bourget-du-lac/restaurants-bourget-du-lac--sitrares340046--le-calypso.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ouch! I think alcohol is the only answer!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sit outside in the SUN ....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone. Looks like alcohol and the kindle is the way to go!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What @pam w, says! ^^^^^^
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If it is a Saturday flight you will be lucky to get in the door ROLF, and when you everntually do you will be standing what you hope is your queue for at least 3 hours before your flight. I nicknamed it Shamblery due to the chaotic scenes on transfer days Very Happy .

Small price to pay for a week on the slopes Very Happy .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You could sit at the end of the runway and watch all the aircraft go around and bug off to Grenoble and Lyon 'cos the weather is shite at Chambery Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feefee wrote:
What @pam w, says! ^^^^^^

Exactly!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TommyJ wrote:
Thanks everyone. Looks like alcohol and the kindle is the way to go!

Yep, and a decent book as Pam says.

A few years back we were delayed in Chambery for 9 hours. Longest 9 hours of my life (although to be fair I got absolutely smashed.....)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That happened to me once a few years back (thanks to the gross incompetence, not to say negligence, of Crystal. Was stuck there for about 6 hours before check-in opened. I'd finished my book on the transfer coach. The snack bar ran out of everything, there was no beer left et etc. I certainly lost any will to live that day.

Feeling cheered yet, @TommyJ,? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@LOTA, absolutely essential to carry enough reading for any foreseeable delay. Kindle or similar. Then delays are really quite enjoyable, provided you are on your own. Best way to travel.
snow conditions
Plan a walk:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.6386286,5.8849097,16z
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@LOTA, absolutely essential to carry enough reading for any foreseeable delay. Kindle or similar. Then delays are really quite enjoyable, provided you are on your own. Best way to travel.

This was in the days before new-fangled devices like iPods, Kindles or smart telephones!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
A fantastic opportunity to have a couple of hours alone with a good book......

Precisely this. While I now work from home, I travelled for a living for fifteen years, and the one thing I always had with me is enough reading material to tide me over for any delay.
snow report
Take some food, save a few Euros for beer and chill with a book. Go upstairs and you will find a restaurant, bar and a toilet that is cleaner than the awful one downstairs. Get settled and avoid the Esprit kids area round the corner Smile (that's where I normally am)
latest report
I have a morbid dread of being stuck somewhere for more than 10 minutes without a book. So, take a book/kindle and a giant bar of Dairy Milk and all is well with the world.
snow report
Agree, book, selection of snacks/beverage of your choice, earplugs/headphones and the time will fly! Far rather sit on airport with book than faff with extra travelling!
ski holidays
Is there a pharmacy at the airport that sells Lemsip?
snow conditions
OMG, I've agreed with @pam w Shocked
wink
snow conditions
LOTA wrote:
pam w wrote:

This was in the days before new-fangled devices like iPods, Kindles or smart telephones!

Hand luggage full of books plus possibly one bought in airport on way out as that didn't count as "luggage". Never mind the clothes, books were top of the packing list. I'd also take an "ought to read" long, possibly heavy going book as an extra in case I ran out. Still pack a physical book as well as tablet, phone and kindle to ensure if I run out of battery I can still read. All the kindle has done is added space for other essentials in my hand luggage!
snow conditions
2planks wrote:
You could sit at the end of the runway and watch all the aircraft go around and bug off to Grenoble and Lyon 'cos the weather is shite at Chambery Laughing

You're a very naughty boy! But at least difficult approaches help to justify the exorbitant wages paid to those who sit with a front window - lets face it any old machine can crack Gatwick to Lyon on its own wink
ski holidays
Eugh...hate chambery airport I must admit, mainly as had so many bad experiences. But sometimes it is a necssity and when all is well it's defini9tely convenient.

I would make sure you have snacks (the cafe/food is limited), book that you are looking forward to charging through, good music playlist, bevcerage of choice, and be prepared to sit on your coat as when its busy can be difficult to get a seat apart from the floor. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I would make sure you have snacks (the cafe/food is limited), book that you are looking forward to charging through, good music playlist, bevcerage of choice, and be prepared to sit on your coat as when its busy can be difficult to get a seat apart from the floor.

very good advice. I recall a squabble over the last croissant one time...... rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Is there a pharmacy at the airport that sells Lemsip?

bug, beat me to it.
ski holidays
I once spent nine tortuous hours there on 23rd December with a small child with all other flights being cancelled. By some miracle our inbound flight finally landed just before 11pm and they turned it round in time for us to take off before the airport shut at midnight, so we made it back for Christmas Eve. Luckily we had plenty of snacks and a portable DVD player for our daughter. We managed to sit on the floor next to a power point, so did not have to deal with battery power running out. I think I must have had some good reading matter with me (was in the days before the Kindle).

If you want to go outside for a meal, there is a hotel at the entrance of the airport - http://www.hotel-cervolan.fr/?lang=en - which is just a short walk from the terminal. Looks like they have a good restaurant. (It will certainly be better than that served in the airport restaurant.)

Take a good book/Kindle (don't forget a charger) and enjoy a bit of quality down-time.

Hope your journey goes well. Little Angel
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I would make sure you have snacks (the cafe/food is limited), book that you are looking forward to charging through, good music playlist, bevcerage of choice, and be prepared to sit on your coat as when its busy can be difficult to get a seat apart from the floor.

very good advice. I recall a squabble over the last croissant one time...... rolling eyes

Laughing! Wouldn't be surprised to be fair!
latest report
Good grief people. Can you really not spend half a day without getting drunk or eating too much? Read, listen to music, go and have a look at Chambery, whatever. Do not sit there mindlessly chewing and pouring alcohol down your throat, it's pathetic. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
@Lizzard, Pah. You need to get a beer and chill out.
snow conditions
Laughing
latest report
Why not pretend to be a TO rep and wander around giving lots of helpful and reassuring advice.... Oh sorry I got that a bit wrong i think Very Happy
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Good grief people. Can you really not spend half a day without getting drunk or eating too much? l:

They are on holiday.
snow conditions
@blahblahblah, and? Not seeing the relevance.
snow report
Look out, fun police in the area.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
You are brighter than that.

It is not unusual for people to eat and drink on holiday, amounts and at times they would consider abnormal. I am always amazed that people sit in Gatwick airport drinking at 6.00 in the morning, but hey ho, they are doing what they enjoy on holiday.

Chambery airport is really pretty crap, and if reading is not your thing there is not much to do.
snow report
blahblahblah wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
I am always amazed that people sit in Gatwick airport drinking at 6.00 in the morning, but hey ho, they are doing what they enjoy on holiday.

I'm definitely guilty of this one. At Christmas we got to Gatwick at 5am and ordered a round of beers. Shocked Why?! Laughing It's so wrong anywhere apart from at the airport but yet we still do it. Part of the holiday.

A bit of non-guilt ridden overindulgence is definitely a must on the few weeks holiday we enjoy a year, considering I'm a clean eater normally. I don't set out to drink a ton of wine and gorge myself on cheese but when that raclette is on the menu, there's unlimited wine at dinner or I'm sitting around the airport feeling peckish - I will definitely not beat myself up for enjoy a bag of pretzels or a nice drink!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy