Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival Photo Comp 2015 - Snowheads help required

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
EMFF 2015 Photo Competitions

Voting for this year's EMFF photo competitions started on Thursday 22nd and runs for Two weeks. I have four images that have made it through to the finals this year and was hoping for some help from Snowheads Smile given that my photos are the only ski related photos left in the competition.

Voting is simple, if you like my images and want to vote, click on the links below,'Like' the image and that's it! Most Likes wins. The competition is split into two categories, 'Winter In Wild Places' and 'In The Zone'.
The voting is via Facebook only(apologies, not my choice!) so you will need a Facebook account to register a vote. You can vote for one or more photos

Winter In Wild Places Click Here then 'Like' to Vote
Currently in 3rd place Due to a little oversight by the organisers, the photo below was added to the comp a day late,already almost 300 votes behind, so any votes would be greatly appreciated Smile

EMFF 1 Winter in Wild Places
^''Solo summit camp on the roof of Scotland' 2014 - Waking up to a heady mix of sunrise, moon and island peaks on the summit ridge of Aonach Beag looking towards the Mamores.

In The Zone Click Here then 'Like' to Vote
Currently in 2nd place but 150 votes behind the leader, so please vote if you like Smile

EMFF 2 In the Zone
^'Dropping in' - entering North gully in the shadow of the Ben. Stob Ban, Mamores, Scotland March 2014

In The Zone Click Here then 'Like' to Vote
Currently in 3rd place

No. 2 Gully
^'The cornice' - firsttracks focusses on his first turn in No 2 gully (Grade II) on Ben Nevis April 2014

Hope you like the images and thanks for any votes! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Liked all Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Liked them all........... but only because you have good taste in tents wink
ski holidays
 LaPlagne2002
LaPlagne2002
Great photos.
Though before voting perhaps HighRustler could clarify a little controversy Very Happy

Some allegations have appeared over on Facebook that the last photo was photo-shopped?
Zoom in close and the outline of the skier seems to be pix-elated?
Has the position of the skier been moved digitally to improve the composition?

https://www.facebook.com/TheEMFF/photos/a.10153130533998777.1073741830.37722363776/10153130534088777/?type=3&theater
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LaPlagne2002, it's a bit silly to try and do that sort of forensic pixel digging on an image that has gone through FB's notoriously harsh image compression. Compare it to the image above which is on Flickr by the looks of things and you can see the pixellation comes from the compression.
ski holidays
 LaPlagne2002
LaPlagne2002
Hopefully you are right meh.
The photographers comment was interesting.
> "Wrong time and place for critique but happy to accept PM's from both of you if you require further guidance regarding how the shot was put together."
Something looks a little unnatural and odd to my eyes?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LaPlagne2002, so you just had to come and register to tell us all about it? Honestly I question your motives more than I do the veracity of the photo.
snow conditions
 LaPlagne2002
LaPlagne2002
@meh Sorry for asking.
The facebook debate piqued my interest.
It is an amazing shot but I would love to know if there was any digital manipulation.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Uh huh, "just asking questions". This is what you seem to have registered on this site today to transparently do:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions
Quote:
The purpose of this argument method is to keep asking leading questions to attempt to influence spectator' views, regardless of the whatever answers are given. the term is derived from the frequent claim by the questioner that they are "just asking questions," albeit in a manner much the same as political push polls.

rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I really don't know why anyone would want to register at snowheads to make the comment either, but I know some snowheads have multiple identities. I was there & watched firsttracks emerge from No. 2 as I skied out of Number 3. The exposure getting into number 2 was shocking, it was brave skiing. Cool

This photo of Pete the Mack skiing No. 2 was taken a week or so later by a different group ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=749448468420135&set=pcb.749450868419895&type=1&theater
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Liked all snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meh, moffatross, both of you have said it all really. The images on the EMFF Comp page have been uploaded in low res by the organisers, nothing to do with me. The EMFF were provided the hi- res image which was also used as the cover shot on the Scotland on Sunday Ski supplement.

LaPlagne2002, You don't get out much do you? Why not return to the profile you normally use and re-post so we can engage in a proper dialogue Smile

Thanks for all the votes everyone, much appreciated!

A couple of bonus shots

^firsttracks traversing in to No 2 gully from Raeburn's route

^firsttracks approaching No 2 gully, Ben Nevis
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for your votes so far! More votes are needed, still sitting in 2nd & 3rd place in the 'In The Zone' category and 3rd place in the 'Winter in Wild Places' category. Voting finishes on Thursday 5th. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
voted in the zone for me
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LaPlagne2002, there is no controversy here other than the controversy you have failed to fabricate.

As both I and the EMFF organiser himself explained to you on Facebook: the skier is me, the descent is No.2 Gully on Ben Nevis, and the photo is real. I almost wish it wasn't real, however, since my buttocks were so firmly clenched together at that point!

HighRustler photographed the sequence on rapid burst mode, and so there are probably around a dozen almost identical photos as I go through that turn. It would therefore be easy to prove the photograph's legitimacy to you, but I would encourage him not to bother doing this as he shouldn't feel any need to prove his integrity to somebody who is clearly only here to falsely undermine people and to stir up trouble. And even if he did, you would doubtless return to suggest that he had 'digitally manipulated' all twelve anyway!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy