Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Noobie questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys and gals, we've booked our first ski holiday to Obergurgl early march for myself, wife and 11year old boy, we have no gear, have had a handful of indoor lessons at castleford, so I'm looking for as many tips and pointers as possible please, with the fact that I know very little about the world of ski and boarding please be gentle

Cheers for any information Nick wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in the same position last year. We had a blast. Whilst everything seems quite daunting when sitting here in the UK (ski hire, lifts, passes, piste maps etc) when you are there in resort it all comes together quite easily. You have done a good thing in having some lessons here in the UK before you go. Perhaps arrange one or two in resort to help make the transition to the (much larger) reality of pistes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2629268&highlight=obergurgl+beginner+skier#2629268

@Npikey, the thread above might be of some help.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Npikey, have you booked with a TO?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Npikey,

Get some lessons and don't be scared of asking to change the instructor if you & your wife aren't getting on with them. Group lessons for the boy where you & Mrs Npikey are nowhere near him.

Don't put too much pressure on yourselves, make sure you have an amazing holiday and fall in love with the mountains, nowhere better to be !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Consider kitting yourselves out cheaply via dare2be, surfanic, (both have retail shops as well as online) or tkmaxx/matalan, need salopettes, warm and waterproof jacket, couple of hats, warm and waterproof gloves/mitts, good ski socks (search various threads on here, but easy to pick up good brands at tkmaxx), possibly need baselayers or thermals (for me that depends on the weather forecast for your trip and your family's cold tolerance - IMO if it's >say -2/-3 dont wear them, I only need them when its < about -5 and / or windy). Also will need goggles if there is any chance whatsoever of snow while you're away. For an adult I reckon from the outlets above you could get it all for say £150. Helmet is also a very, very good idea but you can rent those with your ski's and boots in resort. You can then evaluate your kit and invest in more expensive/high performance kit over the coming years. PS I knew someone who spent nearly £1000 on her own kit before her first ski hol, then promtly hated it and was well miffed!!
2. Keep up the lessons in UK or if you can comfortably link snowplough turns, and stop in control, then just keep going to practice, it's like anything your body will adjust the more time you spend doing it. You want to have had as much time on skis/board as you can by the time you arrive.
3. Definately book ski/board school for each of you for your trip, your TO should have this available, you will probably end up in the same class if youre the same level, so you will still be with each other, and (more importantly) you will have an absolute major laugh whilst earning correct technique. My first year ski scholl still lives fondly in the memory as one of the funniest times of my life (in a good way I promise).
4. Consider not trying to ski loads and loads every day, take regular breaks and chill out, enjoy the mountains, maybe even go walking/hiking/sightseeing one day and have a rest from skiing, don't be too stressed about getting 'maximum ski time'. Obergurgl is beautiful and there are some great things to do and see off skis.
5. Take a good amount of time making sure your hire boots fit well, do some research on how it should 'feel', ask lots of advice from reps/store staff, try lots of pairs on and walk round in them for as long as you can without totally P**ssing if the staff. You need to be sure the boots fit well, otherwise any pinch points/pain will spoil your experience. Also don't be afraid to change them as often as you wish if theyre not right, go back to them shop, and explain where they hurt and keep changing until theyre right. The boots are much more important than the skis when learning. PS I'm not saying they wont fit perfect first time, they may well do, but in my experience a lot of first timers (including me way back when) just take whatever boots theyre given and put up with some pain, instead of trying to rectify it. If you have done a good few sessions in the UK then you will know what boot size is right, its then just fine tuning with individual boots. (if money is no object then of course do consider getting your own boots - its the one investment that can make a huge difference). There are lots of threads on here about good UK bootfitters.
6. Try to relax and enjoy the whole ambience of aski resort, so the apres ski, do some additional activities, try the local food (Austria generally is brilliant!! Tiroler grost and goulash soup are awesome!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also just found this really good article/guide for 'newbies'

http://www.planetski.eu/news/6598

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks V-much some interesting and usefull information there, I 'm really looking forward to going, it's my wife that's unsure, we have booked in resort ski lessons for us and the boy want to have boarding lessons, I'd also like to have a go at boarding but not sure how to go about it yet with out paying for boarding lessons as well, just have to wing it while there ???
I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as it draws closer, oh we have booked with Crystal ski
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

the boy wants to have boarding lessons

Get him some wrist guards before you go and a copy of Go Snowboard by Neil McNab.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Get him some wrist guards before you go and a copy of Go Snowboard by Neil McNab.

+lots. Wrist guards essential for beginners. Bum armour is good too, though not so essential. Excellent book (and has a video with it, though I found the fact that the video model was goofy a bit confusing!).

Get lessons all week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"goofy" doesn't mean just daft - it's snowboard jargon for right foot forward on the board Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After losing a pair of very expensive Oakley googles a few years back, I now make do with pair from Aldi and they're great. Just as good and fraction of the price.
For all the gear, do it on the cheap this time round. TK Maxx, Lidl, Aldi, etc. Otherwise, as per previous poster, you may be left with a load of unused and expensive gear.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Obergurgl, you can take the gondola down to the village at the end of your time on the mountain, rather than skiing down the long blue. I was there with my daughter for 4 days early this season, and even though she has been skiing for 10 years, she was sufficiently tired that it was better to take the gondola for 2 of those days, rather than try and ski while not at your best.

If you're following the instructor, then it will amaze you what you can ski down... but if you are deciding on your own route down, sometimes it is better to take the easy option (gondola) and be fit for another day... rather than push yourself over the limit and injure yourself.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

sometimes it is better to take the easy option (gondola) and be fit for another day... rather than push yourself over the limit and injure yourself.

+1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, +1. No shame in downloading. Better than injuring yourself.
snow conditions
Some great advice above. My two penn'orth:

Look after your skin. The sun (even if not shining) can be devastating at altitude. Get some factor 50 on a stick and use it. Lip salve with sun-block in it is also essential. Especially for the kids.

Losing your lift pass can be a nightmare. If buying a ski jacket, make sure it has one of those little zip-pockets in the left sleeve. The gates are triggered by the chip on the lift pass sending a signal to the pick-up by induction. Just moving your arm will open the gate and the pass is kept secure.

Buy good socks.

Buy Goretex gloves with a leather palm.

Don't wear too much. It isn't like UK where the snow is wet and cold. Even -10 can feel warm in the sun. Layers! I do wicking base, merino or fleece mid and a jacket. 25 year old son has never been known to wear a mid-layer!

Be careful walking around the resort. You are more likely to get hurt in the streets than on the piste. Good street boots with grippy soles.

Laugh. A lot. Learning to ski is the most fun you will ever have. Enjoy.

snowHead
snow report
not so much a nightmare to lose a pass these days, with smart electronics. Down my way it's a €5 admin charge, and they'll replace it, and cancel the old one. keep the receipt!! But it's also difficult to lose them, these days, because they stay zipped up in a pocket.

I have some very nice Goretex mittens (Gordini) bought cheap in T K Maxx but never yet had leather palms, in many years of skiing, nor bought gloves anywhere other than T K Maxx. You can spend an inordinate amount of money on ski gear, but it's not essential by a long chalk.
latest report
Thanks guys, keep it coming, Just had a thought, what do you travel from the uk to resort in, as we only have 20kg baggage allowance and can't see that we will be able to get everything in ??? Do you travel in any of your ski gear (jacket, snow boots) sorry if I'm been a bit dim
Cheers wink
ski holidays
Npikey wrote:
Thanks guys, keep it coming, Just had a thought, what do you travel from the uk to resort in, as we only have 20kg baggage allowance and can't see that we will be able to get everything in ??? Do you travel in any of your ski gear (jacket, snow boots) sorry if I'm been a bit dim
Cheers wink

Ski jacket and normal clothes! What are you taking? My 20kg includes clothes, thermals, salopettes, ski socks, gloves, toiletries, extension lead, ski boots (which weigh quite a bit on their own), helmet, goggles, boot warmers, shovel etc.
ski holidays
@Npikey, travel in ski jacket and boots for walking round resort
snow report
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Npikey wrote:
Cheers wink

Ski jacket and normal clothes! What are you taking? My 20kg includes clothes, thermals, salopettes, ski socks, gloves, toiletries, extension lead, ski boots (which weigh quite a bit on their own), helmet, goggles, boot warmers, shovel etc.

Oh you know the usual stuff including the kitchen sink, Mrs p doesn't travel lightly ! We've been looking at helmets, would you buy or hire, ( I'm not sure about the hiring because of all the sweating, I've used a hire one at Castleford and it was very stinky ! Lol
or do they launder them ?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Npikey, travel in ski jacket and boots for walking round resort

Cool
latest report
@Npikey, buy a helmet IMHO and fasten to your hand luggage rather than packing it if you are tight for space
snow conditions
You'll see a mix of people wearing ski jackets and regular coats on the flight. Consider walking shoes/boots for resort rather than buying snow boots, and fly in them.

Having a regular coat to go out of an evening without taking any sweat/glow from a day on the slopes is worth it if you have the weight spare, which you really should do. You'll get through a lot less non-skiing clothes than you think.
ski holidays
Quote:

@Npikey, buy a helmet IMHO and fasten to your hand luggage rather than packing it if you are tight for space

+1 we've done that for last few years, even budget airlines were ok with it...
snow report
Ok thanks, yeah I was planning on taking my walking boots, we go to the lakes as often as we can, so have some decent walking gear
latest report
Npikey wrote:
Mrs p doesn't travel lightly !

Laughing Well, don't do what I did first time and think you need to dress for dinner as it's a hotel, with stars! Two pairs of trousers (could get away with one but just in case of spillage accidents ...) and some light tops (T shirt or equivalent) is all you need. I take a cardie/jumper because I'm English and have it ingrained, ("in case it's chilly") but normally it's hot in ski chalets and hotels and I don't need it. One pair of shoes is fine and you don't need a handbag either, just use your ski rucksack if you go out in the evening and feel the need to take "stuff". Honestly, if you have your skiing gear, you can really get away with a lot less than you think for the rest of the time.
ski holidays
To avoid disappointment should your hold luggage not make it to the airport (as happened to us once) - wear your ski jacket on the plane. Take your salopettes, gloves and goggles in your hand luggage. Your salopettes will squash down a lot if tied up with string/straps. Then you can at least ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't pack too many 'evening' clothes. I wear salopettes and ski gear all day. Just need a couple of changes for the evening. One of my friends took 'going out' jeans, 'pointy' shoes and shirts on his first trip. I do not let him forget it.
snow conditions
@Mike-H, nice one.
latest report
Quote:

Honestly, if you have your skiing gear, you can really get away with a lot less than you think for the rest of the time

Absolutely. There is no way on earth you need more than 20 kgs. I have my own boots and last time I flew I had everything including a helmet (completely stuffed with underwear etc) and boots (stuffed with socks) in a backpack weighting 15 kg (because I can't easily carry more and was using public transport to get to the airport).
ski holidays
Just had a thought, can any one recomend a decent travel insurance co wink
latest report
@Npikey, you might be able to get insurance through the tour operator you booked with, but you could compare prices - Direct Travel seems to get good reports on here. Get insurance fixed up as soon as possible, so that if for any reason you have to cancel, you will not lose out completely.
snow conditions
Npikey Traveltime Insurance. We paid about £20 for a Jan 2015 week in Austria for two of us. DO NOT rip yourself off by buying tour operators' or travel agents' insurance. You really should book the insurance when you book the hol - as you are then covered in case of unforeseen cancellation (eg injury).

And you can get cashback on Traveltime insurance by booking it on the Quidco website.
snow report
Obergurgl is lovely. Where abouts are you staying?
snow conditions
Valkyrie wrote:
Obergurgl is lovely. Where abouts are you staying?

Hey, we are staying at the Bellevue hotel wink
ski holidays
Morning peeps, getting excited now, I think we have most of the gear we need, just a couple of questions, do we bother with the equipment insurance for the hire skis at about £20 per person, and ski locks, they want €20 in Obergurgl and only £10 here what's your thoughts please

Cheers Nick
snow report
Yes and no. Take the insurance, don't bother with the locks unless it's a condition of the insurance (maybe split the skis when you stop, to have unmatched pairs). That's very expensive for ski hire insurance. It's an extra $1.50 a day at the place we use in France - and I always encourage people to take it. But ski hire can be more expensive generally in Austria - other things can be cheaper. Beers, for example. Swings and roundabouts.

Be sure to post a report about your trip, won't you? snowHead
snow report
also make sure that your travel insurance has winter sports cover, in that policy it might have equipment insurance already but there could be an excess. saying that i have always been lazy and normally pay the £1 or $1.50 in the shop for equipment insurance.

have a great time, its all easy and fun once you are there and if your not falling your trying hard enough. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
also, your winter sports cover might not cover damage to skis and will require lots of reporting to police (who won't be terribly interested etc etc).

£20 is daylight robbery though.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy