Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze - The real story

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm off to Sauze in 12 days and am quite worried about the lack of snow. Anyone have any idea what it's likely to be like. Current conditions don't look good but is there snow forcast for the week ahead?

Also is the resort any good? I like red and black run and want to go off piste...

Thanks,

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, mrlossyman, !

What have you heard - no snow? Dont panic! The current SCGB snow report gives 40cm across the mountain, which is fine for the lower slopes. Also, there's a bit of fresh due over the weekend, so that'll help.I went there a few years ago and there was 20cm around the town and 60cm on the higher bits, and no rocks, so on that basis I'm sure you'll be fine.
Skiings good there - plenty of trees low down around Sportinia (destination of chairlift out of the town), and some decent challenging stuff if you look for it. Good fun to be had on Mt. Motta on the Sestriere side, plus the World Cup course if they let you on it (possibly not if the olympics are coming up). Its a good off piste run over the back of Sauze into Sestriere insteasd of taking the connecting gondola, and there area a good few blacks around the place. Go for the ones on the edges of the area and you'll have them almost to yourself.
The resort is fine, but a bit rowdy at night, and there are loads of boozers to choose from, plus nightclubs who promise strippers but don't deliver...
I'd go again for the skiing, which I think is quite underrated because of Sauze's Kevin image.
Breakfasts are universally a bit on the thin side compared with Austria/Switzerland, comprising rolls, jam and cereal, but other than that its all pretty good fun - you'll have a good laugh I'm sure. snowHead
BTW where are you staying?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
log in to http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sauze-d-Oulx.shtml and you get a good forecast... they'll also email out up to dates... if you pay you get the longer terms (6 day ) forecasts, may not make you relaxed but at least gives you some idea of what might go on !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's looking better than it did last year, fingers crossed - I've twice had great powder conditions in Sauze. As far as the resort goes there are a lot of fairly gentle reds. If the link to Sestriere is open then as already mentioned there's a downhill black there.
Off-piste is dead easy to access; either over the top of Sportinia or on the Sauze side of Spotinia you can head down through plnety of trees and arrive back in Sauze.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the repies, it's put my mind at ease!!

I'm staying at the San Giorgio hotel on a single basis. I'll keep my eyes on the board as this is a great way to keep up to date on what's going on at resorts. Really glad i found this.....

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mrlossyman, do a search and you'll find tons on information on here about Sauze. Make sure you go to the Cotton Club, great bar in the middle of the town by the tourist information centre. Derby Bar is also very good. At the bottom of the Clotes lift there are always people offering you cut price beer/free to go into their bars - shame not to drink the free stuff before moving on elsewhere Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh yeah I remember that now - free drinks at the bottom of the Clotes, always someone there at home time handing out beer coupons. Also, I bought a half-price black market lift pass for the week off some seasonaire, which was helpful!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mrlossyman, oh and incase you didn't know here are the web cams for the Sauze and Sestiere areas. Looking a tad bare in Sauze but they have great snow making facilities in Sestriere and they also bother to look after the snow with the piste bashers much better over there.

http://www.snoweye.com/?page=it-piemont&detail=sauzedoulx

http://www.snoweye.com/?page=it-piemont&detail=sestriere
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dan,
Its fair to point out that the two green looking webcams date from July....mrlossyman, relax.
I have very fond memories of learning to ski in Sauze, first reals oven baked pizza, more units of alcohol than reccomended in a year, loosing a girlfriend. You will have a great time
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulmck, The free beer is in The Village where they have the baskets of peanuts.

Mrlossyman, When do you come back?

Dan, It will snow Shocked They have new snowblowers on the Clotes runs now
Michelle, 2 other nurses and myself are out there on the 10th Jan, but thanks to Ryanair cancelling the evening flight back on the Friday we now only get 2 days skiing Crying or Very sad
Still suppose it just means we will have to go and find a bar to have a boogie in on the last night Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Nicholas, Razz Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing NehNeh Razz

yeah yeah i know those webcams...........but the others are not showing a good depth, very scratchy (as ever rolling eyes ) conditions in Sauze with rocks shpwing up the top but this could due to the wind blow and if the Sportinia cam was up to date it may be a better gauge of conditions in the more sheltered areas.

2 new blowers on the clotes run eh Linds...............that'll make all the difference, anytime i've seen them make snow on that run all they seem to do is cover the trees in snow and the pistes Laughing

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 23-12-05 20:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow!!

I think i need to start practising drinking again! I am in Sauze from 3rd jan for 5nts so back on the 8th. I arrive early on the 3rd so i am hoping to get a half days skiing. If anyone is there the same time and wouldn't mind an extra drinking partner that would be great, althouh i am sure after the first day i'll probably have plenty!

Sauze really sounds a party town! really up for it now although still worried about my new skis Sad

Thanks Laughing !!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mrlossyman,

if you want to try some beginner off piste go left off pian della rocca chair, keep right around shoulder of mtn, drop down to the bottom drags (great spot for lunch on deck, when sunny). At the top of the drags head right (looking up mtn). Before pisted run head off right, nobody goes there. Alternatively off the fast four seater from pian della rocca turn left, go above restaurant (Marmotte ?) keep as high as possible and eventually break left into mini valley. This will bring out out at the bottom of the run off the drag lift near pian della rocca. Alternatively scream down below pian della rocca chair and head right(ish) where piste from drag joins. Head through trees to come out near drag (depends if drag running, ski patrol get fobbed off with you). Feeling brave (very brave, in fact don't do it) ? Take pian della rocca drag and head straight back down (right of drag as face down hill).

There's a mogul run develops below the second 2 seater chair up from jovouneau.

In town try Ghost bat straight off the piste, try the nachos (or little hut at top of the run down for a bombardino). For an easy going beer go to Mark's bar (Moncrons) especially if footie or rugby on. Miravellinos is pretty cool too, slightly down from Paddy McGinty's. Paddy McGinty's is usually fairly wild. Pattie's place, on left as go into old town has table football, challenge her to a game (I beat her once but only when practically sober). Cotton club gets fairly wild later on. Banditos if you don't mind missing the morning after.

The best chair lifts are in Sestriere but the skiing is pretty bland.

There's a place opposie Paddy McGintys that is good for a cooked breakfast.

If you want a longer run drop down off the top of the drag towards San Sicario (some fast quads at bottom to).

The only real black is coming back into the bowl from that drag.

For a meal anywhere on the right as head in to old town. Bruschetta recommended.

Have a great time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant post thank you!

You have given me more info than the official website and i will be sure to print your info off and take it with me. This will be my first real off piste experience hence my slightly wider Volkl 724exp's (skid crossmax 10s before). I think the Volkl are much lighter, the cossmax 10s are great but as soon as you get in the fluffy stuff or crud they are a real hand full. I have read lots about off piste skiing so I am looking forward to developing my technique!

Should be real fun! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After reading the post about the snow on the 'resorts' forum I think i will take my Crossmax 10s too Sad ......

On a better note it looks like a bit of snow is due Tues/weds......

Blush

Merry Xmas everyone!
ski holidays
It appears that aimlessly running around in Circles on Tenby beach Chanting snow in Sauze may seemed to have done the trick! Looks like there will be snow after all!!!

2 days to go !

Very Happy
latest report
mrlossyman, don't stop the snow dance just yet...............GET BACK OUT THERE!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Lossy, I am hoping you may just be right! For several years I have struck out with crap conditions wherever I have been - last year we had a huge dump of snow in Meribel from the second day until when we left, meaning we could not see hands in front of faces. Other years I have had very little snow, seriously cold weather, whatever, it just hasn't been how it used to be!

I was blessed with some fabulous conditions in Sauze during the mid 90's. During 1996 we had something like a 3 metre base, with snow showers every night to freshen things up and bright sunshine every day. You could not ask for more, and we had a superb week - trust me when I tell you the ski-ing in the Milky Way can be awesome.

In 99 we skied on rocks and ice for a week, and since then every year has been okay, but not as good as I had previously. So the forecast for Sauze this weekend is good news. The even better news is that it is not restricted to the woefully unreliable snow-forecast.com. The local webcam today looked like a storm was socking in, and the Italian ski pages all suggest snow. The Met Office is even forecasting snow down in Turin, and it's years since I've seen that.

So keep fingers crossed, still do the odd dance, and hopefully we will both have a quality week. It's forecast to be cold and sunny next week to preserve any weekend snowfall. I'll be about, and on Tuesday will be found anywhere that's showing the Arsenal/Man United game - probably Moncrons. If United win the beers are on me.
snow conditions
OK I'll be out tomoz doing more cool moves on the beach! Madeye-Smiley That is of course after Aston Villa beat Arsenal in the footie Laughing ........ i sure do hope conditions are good cus I need to get in some powder to test out my new skis...... I am skiing with 5 girls in feb (verbier) and i want to make sure my technique is up to scratch (if you know what I mean rolling eyes )....

See you Tuesday!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy