Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BC: helicopters and snowboards

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Definitely nowhere near a piste.

Mostly "dick with a stick" footage plus some follow-cam stuff. This from a couple of weeks at the end of December/ start of January, where coastal BC was hurting (I think it still is). The interior was good, albeit with snowpack a bit like last year. There was a nasty rain event in early December and the snowpack was a bit funky generally, so no epic steeps or huge over the head stuff here.

Snowboarding in Blue River 2014-2015 from phil 45464
https://vimeo.com/115226548

I was experimenting with the new GoPro and a new pole (Delkin Devices Kaboom). Both are excellent pieces of kit, although they come with price tags to match. Original 4k footage on a 4k monitor is definitely a significant improvement - more so than the switch from SD to HD for example, in my opinion. Watching the 4k stuff is much more realistic. For Vimeo I have 720p... 1/3rd on the linear dimension, or one ninth the number of pixels of the originals. That's ok, plenty of room to pan and zoom.... so long as you don't frame the footage properly in the first place. So frame loosely in 4k if you're expecting to downsize the output, otherwise you're not going to be able to use the extra pixels very effectively.

You need to look at it on Vimeo to get their HD (720p).

Oh yeah, if you don't like Action Camera footage, don't press "play", because that's what this is.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Can you see what it is yet?"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hardboots? Nein Danke!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My no-boarding isn't quite up to burning Jet A with yet, but I'm getting there. I don't think you get quite the same control without the direct interface, although perhaps that's just the learning process.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks great!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nice Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good work. Nicely immersive, especially through the tree fences.

Where was the camera mounted on the following shots? It looks too low to be a rear facing chest harness?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I lent my pole to my mate Crosby who's also a Guide so he's able to ski pretty well even with a pack and a camera pole...

He's holding the pole out front and out to his left. I was trying to ride as close as possible whilst we were both going at a reasonable speed to throw up some powder. He was straight-lining, adjusting speed as needed. You have to get extremely close with a GoPro to fill the frame - I was very nearly touching the pole with my board there, especially in the last shots.

I cropped Crosby out in post. And remembered to tip him!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tricks of the trade! Nice.

So mostly filmed in 4k and cropped down to 1080p/720p in post
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tricks of the trade! Nice.

So mostly filmed in 4k and cropped down to 1080p/720p in post
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks acceptable
latest report