Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl Ski Rental, and advice generally

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads
I'm new to the forum so not sure if this is where I should be seeking advice, but here goes:we (family of 4) are off to Ischgl in 2 weeks time having skiied in Les Gets for the past 5 seasons. Is it just my addled brain, or is the ski hire way more expensive in Ischgl than in Les Gets or France generally? Looks like I'll pay around 600 euros (but not if I go to Intersport - see below!) for like for like stuff in Ischgl compared with about 425 euros in Les Gets.
And anyone know why, of all the Ischgl ski rental shps I've looked at (6 in all) Intersport is about 15% more expensive (at around 680 euros)than all the others?

Any other general advice - decent mountain restaurants; runs to avoid; must do runs; and of course apres ski bars - all most welcome!!

Most helpful reply gets a drink in the Solaria bar when we're there - if you are too of course!

Thanks

Geoff
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@grwmartin1, The Arlberg is a bit of a cartel when it comes to skihire...

Regarding the runs - the home runs are brilliant - way too good to leave for the late afternoon when they're full of apres-fuelled nutter.

I'll have half a lager - thanks Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi grwmartin1

We had one day in Ischgl on the 2nd of Jan as a scouting exercise before our main trip on the 31st of Jan - was in Europe for the Christmas / NY break, unfortunately not predominantly for skiing. Rented Ski's & Boots through Ski-set (the agents for them in Ischgl are Sport & Mode Zangerl). I can recommend them (Sport & Mode Zangerl) as both the ski's, boots and service were top notch INHO. Agreed more expensive than what we paid previously in Austria...

There are a couple of other threads on the forum, which provides a lot of detail on the runs and Apres ski etc...one below is pretty good...not certain if the hyperlink will work, but otherwise copy and paste should do the trick.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2657276&highlight=ischgl#2657276

From the one day we've been there it looks great - excellent selection of slopes, good snow due to altitude, fast lifts, good layout, excellent restaurants and awesome apres ski...

Enjoy!

Can't wait for next Saturday!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've used Intersport Brundal (aka zentrum - near Hotel Post on Dorfstraße), Sport & Mode Zangerl (spitting distance from Intersport Brundal and right next to Doft tunnel entrance) and the one directly opposite S&M and not had any problems with any of them. Always had good kit and never had any problems taking it back and switching skis just because we didn't like them.

Had an email this morning from Intersport Brundal stating 15% discount if you book online before 29th Jan it it helps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - I think there's an Intersport very near to Pardatschgratbahn which is close to where we ware staying (Hotel Solaria) so I'll have a look online now!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We used Sport and Mode Zangerl too, probably because it was the cheapest. Still hurt to book the same category of skis for €115 that I had paid €75 for a few weeks earlier in Italy. The Zangerl stock is good though, even though the guy we dealt with in there wasn't the most helpful rolling eyes

There are quite a few rental shops in the centre of town, and one company also has a shop up the mountain at Idalp which I think you can swap at if you need to. Not sure who that is though, I think it says on the Ischgl website.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The cheapest from my online trawl is a shop called IschglRent - Prenner at Dorfstraase 33 close to Pardatschgratbahn - but notsure how good the kit will be of course!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@grwmartin1, There is indeed an Intersport Brundl by the new gondola station in addition to the one in the main street. Zangerl would be my first choice though as it is a smaller store and less hurried. When it comes to boot fitting Christoph is very good.
There are plenty of choices here and so you can find somewhere which suits you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless things have changed again the Pardatschgratbahn (pernner) Intersport is smaller and more focused on the hire side. The Dorfstraase one has a load of retail stuff that you have to fight through to get to the hire bit, not like the good old days (of about 4 years-ago) when you took the back steps to get to the hire bit, saying hello to the cows that lived below that on the way.

Back on the original topic - generally yes, Ischgl's expensive for 'shopping' items (accomodation/ski hire/lift passes - about 10% more than PdS there). Some of this is justified (it's only a matter of time till they install a lift with monkey butlers to serve you drinks, so you let them of the lift pass) but a lot is supply and demand/because they can and we will still come back.

On the other hand I'd say food and drink, both in town and on the mountain are cheaper and when it comes to on the mountain better in Ischgl. You could come out having spent about the same as in PdS, just in different ways...until the pear schnapps starts kicking in and you wake up with BBQ sauce in your hair, a womans top and with paper evidence of 2 trips to the ATM the previous evening... Embarassed

Still waiting for the full truth from a friend on where the woman's top came from Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@grwmartin1,
If you are using a car to get to the resort the Ski set shop in Kappl always used to be significantly cheaper than the Ischgl one and its on the main road on the way through to Ischgl, very easy to find. Not used it for a few years now though as family all have own skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ischgl-Rent have a few shops around town. The one by the Pardatschgratbahn is small, the largest is facing the Dorftunnel at the other end. Sport Zangerl is opposite. I've used the latter and they're fine. If you book then with Skiset and use promo code CUK12SES you get a bit of a discount.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ischgl Rent again.

The one at the lower end of town opposite the lift station. Not as flashy as Intersport but nice guys and good standard of kit for the money IMO. Book online for a discount.

My own skis took a core shot which they sorted out for me very well. I hired a pair of skis for the day whilst mine where being repaired,forgot to take out any extra insurance and managed to hit a loose rock on piste within 5 minutes, resulting in a nasty gouge.

When I returned them I fessed up and they took one look at them ,smiled and said no problem don't worry.

Other shops would have tried it on for the full rip off the punter for a new pair of skis IMO. Not here:) Nice guys to deal with.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not kidding on the price of the ski hire.

I've booked some skis+boots through skimium for 4 days in alpe d'huez in february for pretty much half the price that they seem to be on offer in Ischgl (which is a sneaky 4 dayer I've just sorted out for April).

Is this all of Austria, or just the big places in the Arlberg?

What makes it worse is that there are 2 of us going to France, and 5 of us going to Austria....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pay me 100 euros for my old skis and take them home at the end of the week or throw them away....this may be cheaper than your rental. Freshly serviced 170cm Rossi all mountain skis wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Except Ischgl isn't in the Arlberg but know what you mean. Ischgl & St. Anton are expensive but not all resorts are.
ski holidays
234€ for a weeks ski hire is my record - name that resort (clue - it is in the Arlberg and begins with an L)

My "is that each, or for the pair?" was met with a polite but mirthless smile

I had decent result last time in Ischgl as Zandgerl (sp) is owned by the same 'farmers' that owned my hotel (Feriengluck) and so I got 'special price' which I think was about 100€ for good Fischer RC4s.
latest report
If you're willing to take some time out of your holiday you can save between E30 and E50 by popping down the valley from Ischgl to Kappl and hairing your skis there.

If you're driving you can just drop in on the way to/back from Ischgl, otherwise it's 15 minutes on the bus.

Probably not worth it for 1 pair of skis but if you're a family of 4 saving E200 isn't to be sniffed at.
latest report
Booked mine through Ski Independence - was the cheapest I could find after ALOT of research for last easter. They do holidays and "Ski Extras".
May have gone up in price now or the exchange rate changes may have affected how competitive the prices are.

£112 vs 152 euro (for silver skis, boots and poles from sport adler in ischgl through alpinresorts with snowball code).

https://www.ski-i.com/lift-tickets-ski-passes/austria - the Packs include boots, skis and poles.

@pendodave, this is the top 2% of prices in Austria - Zell am see NY week for my skis, boots and poles for 6 days - 80 euro!
snow report
pendodave wrote:
Not kidding on the price of the ski hire.

I've booked some skis+boots through skimium for 4 days in alpe d'huez in february for pretty much half the price that they seem to be on offer in Ischgl (which is a sneaky 4 dayer I've just sorted out for April).

Is this all of Austria, or just the big places in the Arlberg?

What makes it worse is that there are 2 of us going to France, and 5 of us going to Austria....

Ischgl isn't the Arlberg, but it is one of the priciest resorts in Austria, with a big Russian clientele. One of the reasons it's so expensive may be the lift system, which is excellent and updated regularly.
snow conditions
Always found the Intersport by Pardatschgratbahn to be very quick and easy to rent from and very handy for the Solaria. Not sure of pricing but the skis are always in good nick, they don't have the greatest amount of choice though. Sport Adler by the Fimbabahn is a good shop generally as well.

Ischgl may be a bit more expensive than the average resort but that's because it's a shed load better than the average resort, the only concern is how many people seem to be talking about it over here these days and it wasn't exactly the emptiest place before.

Apres Ski is too numerous to mention, given where you're staying though you've got to do Niki's Stadl and the Kitzloch, the Shatzi is also legendary but not sure it's really a family place! Make sure you also take a walk/escalator to the Trofana Alm and the ChampagneHut is worth a look later at night. Nowhere is particularly cheap but to make up for it everywhere is particularly excellent.
latest report
levart wrote:

Ischgl may be a bit more expensive than the average resort but that's because it's a shed load better than the average resort, the only concern is how many people seem to be talking about it over here these days and it wasn't exactly the emptiest place before.

Not going to be helped by full feature on it in Telegraph this week.
Mind you, the Russians may not be travelling there in such numbers for a few years.
ski holidays
Intersport has decent kit but is probably the most expensive in town. Sport Adler is by the Silvrettabahn, not the Fimbabahn, isn't it? As for Russians I've never noticed that many, although lots apparently first week in January. Never had any issues with the ones I've seen apart from the Bogner gear being a bit hard on the eyes. I spoke to the owner of a popular apres ski bar a couple of years ago and he said that they don't really do apres ski, rather just go back to their hotels.
latest report
red 27 wrote:
234€ for a weeks ski hire is my record - name that resort (clue - it is in the Arlberg and begins with an L)

My "is that each, or for the pair?" was met with a polite but mirthless smile

I had decent result last time in Ischgl as Zandgerl (sp) is owned by the same 'farmers' that owned my hotel (Feriengluck) and so I got 'special price' which I think was about 100€ for good Fischer RC4s.

When I went to Lech, a guy in the chalet had rented a pair of previous season Atomic Nomads almost identical to mine from Strolz and like you paid around £200 for the week, I had just bought mine outright and brand spanking new from a French internet discount retailer for £160!!
latest report
clarky999 wrote:

Ischgl isn't the Arlberg, but it is one of the priciest resorts in Austria, with a big Russian clientele. One of the reasons it's so expensive may be the lift system, which is excellent and updated regularly.

I've never seen so many awful Bogner jackets anywhere. Not even Courchevel.
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, ...you should have been here in early January.....when Team Bogner was here at full strength!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy