Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See - enough for a week?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Am heading with some friends to Zell in the last week of head. I've heard/seen that the skiing isn't that extensive, even with the Kaprun glacier nearby. Bit nervous there won't be enough to keep us entertained for a week. We're all decent skiers. Any suggestions of particular areas to focus on, or other resorts that are easy enough to get to that we could explore for a day or two?

Thanks!

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alright. Haven't ski Zell but can say Maria Alm (part of Dienten) is nearby. Im sure between a few of you a taxi would be very little (showing 20 mins on google).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saalbach is even closer
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zell is on the same railway line as Leogang(saalbach hinterglem ) ,fieberbrunn,saalfelden(10 mins to Maria Alm Aberg gondola),and if you want to go further Kitzbuhel.If i can remember its about 8 miles to maria alm and 10 to leogang by road.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely plenty to go at Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hiya, our group went there for a week and there was just about enough to keep us entertained. You get to know it quite quickly, but there are some very nice runs, especially the blacks back to the town. 11 is quite challenging in places (or it was for us lol!) We really enjoyed the long red down to Schuttdorf as well. The mountain restaurants are lovely and you never get tired of the view across the lake, it's stunning.

The glacier at Kaprun is worth visiting, but two days there is plenty. If you have a car or don't mind taking a train or taxi, I'd definitely check out Saalbach for a day or two.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@randomhals, there's more there than the piste map suggests...

The place punches above its weight and with the excursions others have mentioned, there's a weeks worth no danger
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Saalbach/Hinterglemm. It's 20 mins from Zell and has some great "round trip" ski routes for a great day out. Always driven, but pretty sure that you can get the bus from the big bus station in Zell centre near CityXpress.

If you're staying in Zell centre, it seems a similar journey to go to Kaprun glacier or to Saalbach.

Enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you've got a car, do consider a Salzburg Super Ski Card, giving you full access to all the above mentioned skiing areas.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
agree with those suggesting you try saalbach you can catch a bus or taxi to saalbach and or leogang which with a bit of planning and studying the lift map and buying the correct pass initially would give you a couple of days without hardly skiing the same run twice we found zell a bit limiting with lots of qs but was a while ago and surely must have got better
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I haven't skied in Zell. I've only spent summers there. The agent for the last property I rented had recently retired as coach to the national team. Zell is her home resort and she skis there all winter with occasional excursions to Saalbach when the weather is more favourable there.

I don't really get questions of the type, 'Is resort x big enough for me?' I have never been to a resort, however small, without finding very many better skiers than me. If the resort is big enough for them, surely it's big enough for me?

Life's what you make it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With the amount of snow there now there's more than enough to explore for a week! From next year this will be a redundant question when they link with Saalbach etc. (new lift) Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

From next year this will be a redundant question when they link with Saalbach etc. (new lift)

Nope - Fieberbrunn is the resort being linked to Saalbach-Hinterglemm next season. The plans to link Zell am See to Saalbach are still just plans, although possible lifts and pistes are beginning to appear on various websites as 'Projected or Likely' future developments.

See http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30480&start=160 or http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=792&start=3328
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think there is enough variety and Km's for people to explore for a week with Zell and Kaprun. Was there at New year and definitely didn't get bored.
As @red 27, it's deceptive, looks like a small piste map but, some of those runs are real lung/leg busters especially red10 and Black 13+14. A number of the runs are worth many laps as they really are fun, then you add in the variety of the two Kaprun mountains.

The Kitzsteinhorn and the little known Maiskogel between those there is enough for 2-3 days there. Definitely go right to the top of the Kitzsteinhorn and do the viewing point/museum and eat at the amazing restaurant. Also eat lunch at the Grillhutte at the top of Gletscherjet 1 and do apres outside there too and get the last ski bus back to Zell. There is a really decent umbrella type bar where there is a lot of table top dancing between 3-45 and 5.

Plus the numerous other things to do in the area - Tauern Spa, Paragliding, Alpine Roller coaster, tobogganing and also the Postbus/Rail services to Saalbach, Maria Alm, Kitzbuhel etc...it's a great place to go with friends and I'm sure you will love it!

This is my trip report - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115566
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A day in Saalbach is great for variety. Saalbach is a really extensive area with large 'motorway' pistes - well worth a visit. You can add Saalbach to your Zell ski pass when purchasing it - just ask at the desk, I think it's quite cost effective.

You can get to Saalbach on the 680 bus IIRC - it's every hour on the half hour and sets off from the main Zell bus station. I t costs 9 euros for a return trip.
ski holidays
Guys thanks so much for all te tips! Am currently halfway through an epic 10hour train ride to zell from verbier and getting very excitrd. Will definited check out saalbach I think , and the umbrella bar Smile

Looks like snow is on the way too...

Thanks again
ski holidays
randomhals wrote:
Hi all
Am heading with some friends to Zell in the last week of head.

Skiing and a week of head, you lucky lucky boy. Toofy Grin
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy