Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good ski resort for day trip from Geneva with young baby

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, can anyone recommend a good ski resort an easy drive from Geneva where I can park close to the slopes, and with a nice ski-in ski-out restaurant nearby where I can hang out with a baby while my wife does some skiing for a couple of hours? Our baby is only 7 weeks old so she can't go on any of the lifts so it'll need to be a restaurant at the base.

Pre-baby we used to go to Chamonix a lot but it's not the best place for this scenario. I've been to Les Carroz and it has parking right by the slopes but no restaurant to hang out in without walking back down into town.

Thanks! Steve
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Steve77,

Les Houches - the Kitsch Inn - or Les Marmottes at the base of Prarion

Les Gets - loads of village places. You could even go up the bubble and hang out in the restaurant at the top station. Likewise there are restaurants at the top of Pleney (Morzine), Avoriaz, Morillon, Drive to Les Carroz, loads of ideas.

Or hop across to Mont-Jura depending on which side of GVA you're on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Gets or Morzine. Parking in town. You can ski right back to a restaurant at the foot of the slopes. Don't know if you can simply go on the bubble in Les Gets as a pedestrian without a lift pass. One of the wise old SHs will answer that. I like both towns/villages. Plus you can look around shops while other half skis. About 1hr to 1hr 20 mins drive.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to clarify I meant the Mont Chery bubble and I'm reasonably sure pieton passes exist for it and Pleney. Definitely do for Ardent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, Chavannes and Mont Chery both have pieton passes.

I would expect any bubble with restaurants atbthe summits will.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are also some nice places up a bubble with a piétons pass in Megeve.

Why can't the baby go in a lift? (I can see you wouldn't want to take her up the Aiguille du Midi, but Mont Chery or similar shouldn't be a problem?)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the good ideas. Apparently the lifts can go up so quickly they can be bad for the baby's ears, and so they're generally not allowed even in bubbles, although I don't know how universal that rule is from resort to resort. I know for a fact they won't let you up the Brevent in Chamonix though. I'm a little sceptical but it is what it is. Les Gets is probably the shortest drive with something decent at the base then as we live that side of Geneva.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steve77, ah, I see. I took a baby that age on long haul flights and was advised that breastfeeding during take off and landing help to equalize the ears.

The little lift up to the "front de neige" in Les Gets is a very short one - not a big difference in altitude/pressure and there are good spots there for sitting and watching the skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you could do worse than mooch around to Le Crozets - 30 mins from gva centre. There's a nice restaurant at the top of the gondola from Gex. - note the gondola only goes up to 1000 metres, so shouldn't have any baby ear impact, you'd also be significantly reducing the amount of time the nipper spends in a car seat.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or if snow is good but roads are ok drive up to La Faucille from Gex. My husband and I spent many days changing over child care in the restaurant there and taking it in turns to ski. Admittedly not with a baby as young as yours though, the youngest we ever took on a ski trip was 14 months old. We preferred to have the car close by for many reasons Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steve77, I have heard that as well. I think it's plausible but unlikely. As Pam says, jet aircraft (I believe climb quicker and to a generally higher apparent altitude).

The Marmottes restaurant by Prarion about 20 mins faster than Les Gets.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Couple of hours skiing - if the snow is the I also recommend the Jura if you are on that side, very peaceful, different kind of skiing views, and you can look down all over Geneva
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suspect the whole baby at altitude thing compared to an airplane is because airplanes have pressurised cabins to a certain extent although obviously it's not perfect. It's still better than a bubble though, and you don't get out at the top. Usually.

PS - good for your wife at getting out there so soon! And good for you for supporting her with it as well Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Jura. Have a look at Col de la Faucile. Val d'Isere it aint, but it is a really nice little area. For any serious skier you could do the whole lot in a morning, but if you are not looking for vast expanses it ticks all of your other points.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sparklies, it's more to do with rate of ascent. I am unconvinced anyway. But I don't have a brat. Or even a well behaved offspring.
latest report
Surely a plane climbs faster than a bubble though? I also remain unconvinced anyway!
latest report
@sparklies, actually, Inthink not, and I think the rate of cabin ascent is anyway slowed.

Don't know for sure snowHead
ski holidays
We like Praz de lys on the road up to Les Gets, park in the village or at the far end almost on the piste. Plenty of good places to eat and a really good area for a day skiing.
snow conditions
@ski3, I like it too, altho only been once snowHead
latest report
@Steve77, there is a restaurant up by the telecabine in Les Carroz, it's called Le Tire Fesses. I've not been in it, but know locals who say it is good.
ski holidays
As a person with problems relating to equalising air pressure in my ears, I’ve had significant issues due to this on both cable cars and funiculars, including at low altitudes, and it can be very painful. As an adult I put up with it, but I wouldn’t advise a parent to risk it unless they were happy with a screaming baby. Especially as the pain can continue for some time after you're not in the lift any more...
ski holidays
Good for you for taking the baby! We spent many enjoyable days skiing in turns with ours around that age. Most of the time we were actually outdoors. We had a moses basket type option on the pram and would line it with a sheep skin for warmth. Baby was then in a wee sleeping bag with fleecy blankets etc. Even well below freezing this arrangement was OK. This was based on advice from scandinavian friends, where I am told it is common to leave the babies outside to sleep in the winter. The only thing that weirded us out was that she would sleep for up to five hours during the day in the fresh air!
latest report
You can drive up to the top of the Morillon bubble and park at Morillon 1100. There are a couple of restaurants in the 1100 village and a slopeside one right next to the bottom of the Sairon run. Not sure why driving up in a car would be better than going up in a bubble though.
snow report
@Col the Yeti, That's a good call a steady lift up removes the multi hairpin bends. In Flaine Foret the Bissac is a nice self steve with large deck to sit out on if it's sunny.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy