Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner taking own boots on first ski holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
I can only offer apologies Bob, they were good with me some years ago, and this is the first time I've seen poor feedback on them from the occasional folks I've sent their way. So - sorry for leading you wrong, will temper my advice next time Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure most people find them to be wonderful but their failure to follow up on my emails is powerful disappointing. Anyway I'm off to S&R tomorrow to try again. Where's the best place to offload a pair of last year's boots , one careful owner?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If they didn't do much to them, go instore and push for a refund. This time of year they have a good chance of still shifting them so might not put up too much of a fight. An obviously unhappy customer in your shop doesn't make for a great sales pitch to other potential buyers...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you really don't want those boots because of the flex (in which case, why did you buy them........?) then I'd go back to the shop and try to change them. If you're happy with them, you were properly fitted, other than the difference with the "online price" I'd just get on with it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But do bear in mind that they'll feel a lot stiffer out on the snow than in a warm shop.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
An unhappy customer writing reviews on Google is even worse! But fair's fair, I'll give them 7 days to reply before i kick off.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
If you really don't want those boots because of the flex (in which case, why did you buy them........?) then I'd go back to the shop and try to change them. If you're happy with them, you were properly fitted, other than the difference with the "online price" I'd just get on with it.

Why did I buy them? Because they are what the fitter recommended, coming from a Nordic skiing background I had no idea about flex and was at the mercy of the shop to suggest suitable boots based upon the info that I supplied. I think they have fallen very short on this issue. It is my impression that they just wanted to find a pair of boots that fitted regardless of suitability to ensure that they got a sale. The boots fit fine that's not the issue, it's the suitability for purpose.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 9-02-15 16:31; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobG, with your skiing level 130flex may be a little stiff, but given your height/weight not overly so, not defending them in anyway but when they asked about your level as most (males) tend to overstate their skill level. Also on my atomics there is a spoiler which you can remove which reduces the actual stiffness.

I personally wouldn't right off the boot just because of the 130 rating as flex is not a precise rating across the manufacturers.

As for the size, sounds about right to me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobG, if you are a good Nordic skier you'll pick up downhill very fast. It's a lot easier!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm sure you're 100% right about people overstating their level! I got to a beginner+ then intermediate level after starting only a few weeks ago by taking intensive courses indoors then spending a week in Scotland taking advantage of the recent good weather. I made it clear ( I hope) that the sole purpose of buying these boots was to get me from my recently acquired intermediate skill level to advanced/off piste level in my forthcoming 2 week long holiday where I will be spending 1 week on an improvers course followed by a week of private lessons. I also stated that I had no real interest in resort/on piste skiing and I was only learning to ski as I am interested in ski mountaineering and ski touring and would be purchasing boots suitable for those disciplines once I had gained the appropriate skills. Perhaps we had our wires crossed and the fitter heard me use the advanced in a sentance, put 2+2 together made 5. Anyway, onwards and upwards. Then down again then back up...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
@BobG, if you are a good Nordic skier you'll pick up downhill very fast. It's a lot easier!

No, I'm shockingly bad though I suspect my newly acquired downhill knowledge may have cured my issue which was falling over backwards as soon as I went downhill. I will be taking my Nordic boots on holiday so I can do some shuffling around on my rest days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And when I say I'm shockingly bad I am overstating my skill level, despite 8 weeks of intensive Nordic skiing over the past 3 years I am hopeless, except at going uphill which I am very, very good at for some strange reason. I still miss my grip wax when on downhill/ resort skis though!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobG,honestly based on your description of your level and goals taking into that your height and weight i can't see major issue with 130 flex. They may be a little stiff to start with but you should be fin IMHO.

However i can't comment on the suitability of the boots for touring. For info i have a pair of atomic tracker 130's and am a couple of stone lighter.

The price thing is a different discussion.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They are not suitable for touring, this was made perfectly clear to me in the shop and I then explained how they were only being purchased for the purpose of my forthcoming intensive on piste training. Touring boots will be purchased along with skis and bindings once I've got the skills.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are really progressing fast as you suggest then given your height and weight while they may be too stiff now then the shop has done you a big favour longer term. Some boots also have the option to reduce the flex stiffness. More important that they fit well. This can mean getting a boot that is not the ideal flex immediately.
snow conditions
Quote:

And when I say I'm shockingly bad I am overstating my skill level, despite 8 weeks of intensive Nordic skiing over the past 3 years I am hopeless, except at going uphill which I am very, very good at for some strange reason.

Laughing I have had three whole weeks of (morning) instruction, plus practising on my own, and am still fairly hopeless. Not bad at uphill, but not good at all at downhill. Can do a "demi chasse neige" in tracks (ie one foot left in the tracks) but not great at snow-plough turns once the gradient is such that the tracks disappear. And as for those "petits pas tournants", forget it! On the steeper pitches I have been known to take the skis off and walk down. rolling eyes When I see nordic skiers confidently descending a gentle blue run I am awed by their skill and balance.

I do think that it's far harder. I learnt to snowboard and started XC skiing at about the same time, and at a considerable age, and snowboarding was heaps easier (albeit painful). Socking great metal edges and a wide board to which one is securely fastened do help.

Your boots sound fine for your aspirations - if they're comfortable and feel a snug fit, I'd just get on with it.
snow report
@BobG, 2 weeks to go from intermediate to "advanced / of piste" level would be impressive progress. (I'm not saying it's impossible, but many of us with far more skiing experience than that would love to be at that standard.) Where are you going and who are your lessons with?
ski holidays
I won't be doing any off piste this year!! I was using the term 'advanced' as defined in the S&R boot fitting guide i.e. able to confidently ski red runs and able to do simpler black runs too. Seems like a strange definition of the word 'advanced' but it seems like common usage in the boot fitting world. I'm off to Slovenia and have hired a local guide who was recommended to my by one of the Slovenian people that I work with.
ski holidays
Credit where it's due, I've been in contact with the fitter and he has put my mind at rest re the flex issue ie these boots are soft for their rating and he was happy with the way I could flex the boots in the shop. Just need to convince them that I've been sold 2014 and not 2015 boots.

Have now posted photos and they agree I've been sold a 2014 boot. Refund in process.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy