Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are my brand new boots drastically undersized?

Poster: A snowHead
hyperkub wrote:
c) we can deduce from your posts that you don't understand how half sizes in ski boots work, in that every pair of sizes (eg 27 - 27.5) share the same shell.

It is you who are wrong there, hyperkub. It depends on the manufacturer - some break on the whole size, some on the half.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austingeorge - a 'standard' custom insole may be ok for you... But any real foot problems or issues won't be addressed simply by moulding an insole to your foot shape IF you have any, and you may not even be aware of...

I went though two custom fitted boots, both with custom insoles and liners etc - and always had an issue with my left foot. Felt like boot was too narrow as the pain was on top of the forefoot... Also get same pain sometimes in some shoes and golf shoes.

Only a visit to HEIERLING got me insoles that corrected the issue - pressure plate readings showed I tended to have high pressure on the outside left side of the forefoot ( think it was!) and the insoles they made totally cured the issue. Sadly i understand the swiss exchnage rate is now even more bonkers expensive... But i'd go to CEM or a real podiatrist trained fitter rather than ellis brigham etc... A genuine boot fitter would also address any tight spots on the shell etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis wrote:
hyperkub wrote:
c) we can deduce from your posts that you don't understand how half sizes in ski boots work, in that every pair of sizes (eg 27 - 27.5) share the same shell.

It is you who are wrong there, hyperkub. It depends on the manufacturer - some break on the whole size, some on the half.

I'm aware of that and I was just giving an example. Breaking on the half size is more usual but there are exceptions to most rules....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@colinstone, are you not in Mürren?

Yes, well Lauterbrunnen. Till end March.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@colinstone, nice. If a bit dark. Racing Saturday?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Austingeorge,

If I understand you right, you haven't even tried going back to EB yet? It is actually quite normal to have to go back and have a boot stretched, a new foot bed or something similar. I'm quite sure you will have to pay a different boot fitter to work on the boot and it might even invalidate your "fit guarantee" from EB. I really think you should try them first. If they are no good then try for a refund but you need to let them have a go at fixing the problem.

The measurements you have taken do pretty much prove that the boot is not "drastically" undersized. May be it is not a good fit but the problem is unlikely to be drastic.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just read this post and it got me thinking ... are my boots to big?

I've a pair of Head Edge 70
Just took the liners out and put my feet in so the toes touch the end of the shell, and there is a sizeable gap (35mm) Shocked
However when I put the liner on (just the liner) with my heel pushed right back, there is a thumb nail width cushion around the end, like you get a shoe, and I can get a finger between the the liner and my heel if i push my toes forward. Like wise I put the liners back in the boot and its basically the same.

I skiied on them for a few weeks and i've not had any problems but this thread has got me thinking that they may be a bit big and thus compromise me a bit. Confused!! Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dzmarc, they sound comfy, how do you find them?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Filthyphil30k,

There excellent boots, super comfy and yet very responsive for the flex which I was surprised at.
They are quite wide boots, well especially compared to Salomon, who seem to think I had twigs for feet.
Definitely recommend them to anyone who does have wide feet, or looking for something where they are predominantly touring pistes.
My only criticism would be now I want something a little stiffer, but thats my own fault, for becoming so good. wink

What makes it better is they cost me £80 with a boot bag in the Decathlon sale.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dzmarc, an excellent response, more apres needed to slow down improvement.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Filthyphil30k, You know it. Plenty coming up this year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dzmarc, Not too sure how often you ski, but that liner will stretch out, and compact. What keeps your foot in place is the shell itself. If you are happy in them, then keep them, but I think that after a few weeks on them they will be too big.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Lilledonmarco,

A couple of times a year. I had started to think they may be to big, but I was never to sure.
If probably doesn't help that one foot is bigger than the other.

Is there anyway to pack out boots to counter this until a replacement is necessary / found?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @Austingeorge,

I work for Ellis Brigham and I'm happy to help here. From your description of the shell check and the length measurement you have given in mm's it sounds like you are in the right size. Hopefully it just needs a little tweak, and it's very likely that a bit more support with a decent footbed will give more room. It's not unusual to get a bit of extra work done to a boot, it's all part of getting the best fit. As @CEM, notes above there may be other factors affecting the fit and we'll need to think about a different boot, but to be sure come in to the shop and let one of the boot staff take a look - they don't bite (can't be sure of that outside of work). It's all part of the service to offer tweaks, adjustments etc.

If you want to chat, PM me and I can speak about it further and book you an appointment with someone in the store.

Thanks
Steve
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dzmarc, not sure to be honest...maybe, and I mean maybe, foam liners might fill the gaps so to speak, but...at £200+ a pop for that, you could almost get better fitting boots at that price.
ski holidays
@Austingeorge, It took about a week of skiing to break my boots in, 2 hours in an indoor slope won't really have started to break them in!! I'd expect pins and needles and pain at home....Try doing some ironing wearing them and in the ski position. As you flex forwards into the ski position the toes should slide back a tiny amount, hence ironing is the best way I found to get "in position" at home!!!
snow report
@Lilledonmarco,

Just measured my feet since mondo sizing is in cm, and one foot seems to be bigger than the other.
Left is a 27, and my right is 26.5. makes things interesting.

Could just get smaller liners for 27.0 instead of 27.5 or i'm half tempted to buy a pair of 26.5 and just see.
snow report
@Austingeorge, where are you based? You can probably get some free advice from a proper bootfitter on the shell you have, on the basis you are going to be buying a footbed and might make a couple of tweaks to the shell in due course. Of course they will charge for the footbed (expect ballpark £100) but you will also get their quick opinion on whether you are in the right shell. If you are not in the right shell, back to EB and just get your money back, it sounds from your posts like things aren't quite right but it would be very difficult for any of us to tell you exactly what (hence the varied opinions above) without actually seeing your feet and the boots.

EB will not fit an insole for free. You might be wise to get a second opinion and frankly there is a pretty big difference between the custom insoles from some of the big stores and those I've seen from proper boot fitters.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@colinstone, nice. If a bit dark. Racing Saturday?

Well, not in much during the day! And not this year. Telemarking 10 days ago and went forward over tips. One big toe bent way further than maker intended so luckily just a very severe sprain. But also small fracture in little finger. Interlaken Docs not happy with any form of skiing! So only been out twice since prang.
Those that practiced today report course treacherous already with sheet blue ice and very deep ruts.
snow conditions
Austingeorge I also have wide feet but also one leg slightly shorter than the other Very Happy I used profeet in Fulham and they recommended the Hawx 100 based on foot size and and ability. You haven't said what they did during the fitting, but 1 hour seems too short.

Profeet checked my weight distribution on my feet (pressure pad). This shows balance of pressure between legs and whether pressure is balanced front to back. Based on this and other tools, they created a customised footbed. They then rechecked me (in the boots) on the pressure pad and made further adjustments to insure pressure was at the right place. At the end of the session, the provided me a printout of the before and after pressure pad results along with my guarantee and receipt. With that comes free adjustments for life of the boot.

Obviously you pay for the additional service but in my opinion it was worth every penny. I have used the service for a minor adjustment.

If the boots are correctly fitted, at no time should you get pins and needles. Twisted Evil
latest report
Once you have bpought the ladies tights and put them on post a picture as this will make this thread a little less boring .

Go back to TSA/Ellis Brigham , they will replace or sort your boots ......simples
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Austingeorge, It took about a week of skiing to break my boots in, 2 hours in an indoor slope won't really have started to break them in!! I'd expect pins and needles and pain at home....Try doing some ironing wearing them and in the ski position. As you flex forwards into the ski position the toes should slide back a tiny amount, hence ironing is the best way I found to get "in position" at home!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like your in the right shell to me too.

Get some foot beds fitted with EB, ski in them for a week, if needed go back for a few tweaks, repeat until things settle down.

I am in exactly the same situation with a new pair of boots.

If they are like slippers from day one once the liners pack out they are going to be sloppy with heel lift and unresponsive.

I'm sure EB will sort you out.

Very Happy
snow report
I've been into Ellis Brigham...

I had a chat with their head boot fitter Brad and talked about the issue I had with my arch and my foot going numb.
IN the end, I had a pair of surefit footbeds made, and the boots feel a lot more snug, but less numbing just wearing them around the house. I think this might be a sizeable step towards nicely fitting boots as I was getting pins and needles just sitting around the house in them with the stock footbeds.

I'm off to castleford on Wednesday to test them out and see if there's anything else I need to have done.

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

EDIT: As a stickler for threads with no full conclusion here's a short follow up.

I've been skiing twice on the boots for about 2.5-3 hours at a time. The first trip i was in very thick ski socks (which i had been using with rentals) and then the second trip in some very thin cotton (i know...) long socks. The thin socks made the boots fit with almost no pain or rubbing.

Since these trips, i've been wearing the boots around the house in the evening, and at work when im desk-bound for long stints. Gradually over the course of 4-5 days of wearing the boots with some new smartwool socks, the boots were packing out, and started to conform to my feet.

Now, I'm off to Les Arcs tomorrow and can't wait to get a proper days skiing in and am not worried about the boots in the slightest.

Thanks again all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy