Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poles - injuries

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When I tumbled yesterday, not only did I straighten my Oakleys but I've banged my hand up quite badly, outside edge of my hand and base of little and ring fingers are bruised (not badly thanks to arnica) and nicely swollen and I have a nice bruise I hadn't expected (or put arnica on) on my palm which is the exact shape of the handle of my ski pole. I've had more injuries from my ski pole straps than anything else (thumb bent back etc). So my question is, do the Leki click in style poles and straps actually release under pressure? Or is it simply an occupational hazard?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look for a thread on this - there was one a week or so ago. Lots of people said they just didn't use straps at all (inc me) and I know a couple mentioned leki.

aj xx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch, what way do you hold your poles?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, the way I was taught! I'm not quite sure yet what you're driving at but yes, I do put the straps over my wrists. Mostly coz I'm paranoid about losing the damn things and would end up with muscle strain from gripping them tightly if I didn't.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds nasty, hope it's a short recovery time. Sad

There's another reason to use snowblades! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

not badly thanks to arnica
We have some friends who swear by it. I cannot understand why Ambulances dont carry it wink . The tradgedies of the Tsunami and the Pakistan Earthquake could have been avoided if evryone had taken an Arnica tablet just after their trauma rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use some dakine wrist guards to help avoid any injury. Some racing style gloves with a knuckle reinforcement may help avoid injury too. http://Onebelowzero.co.uk have some deals on level gloves if youre interested
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch,

Don't like the sound of over the wrist...!!

Let them hang from the wrist and then offer up the grip so the strap is held in the palm. The strap should never pass over the thumb because you are just waiting for a thumb wrench...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, the way I was taught! I'm not quite sure yet what you're driving at but yes, I do put the straps over my wrists. Mostly coz I'm paranoid about losing the damn things and would end up with muscle strain from gripping them tightly if I didn't.

Like this?

www.davekorman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/holdapole.jpg

Come up into the strap from underneath, and then take the grip with the strap under the palm of your hand, like in the pictures here, with the strap wrapping over the wrist from around the heel of your hand. Once you're in, pull the strap so it's snug (but not uncomfortably tight).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davehk, yes, exactly like that which is what JT said too. I've always held them like that - as I said, it's how I was taught. Maybe I'm just unlucky that I tend to fall on hands and poles. Or lucky, depending which way you look at it. Wrist guards wouldn't have helped this one - I went head first and I think I must have fallen with my hand under me while holding the pole. Maybe given the fall, even straps that release wouldn't have helped. TBH I was more worried about the Okaleys as I'll mend - but it's just a bit painful today (the day after) and I'm having a bit of a bitch Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy