Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter skiing and what to expect - your thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@jedster, as far as I can see, no. We get our usual 3 H-S days, which could include Les Cs, but given any BDH gets a day with a weeks pass, seems odd to me.

Hey ho, more snow !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
People always say go high but this is only half the story. Piste orientation is everything. Go somewhere north facing or you'll be skiing through sorbet all week - if you're lucky.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not necessarily, @cameronphillips2000, we have had quite a number of powder filled easter weekends - maybe 1:3? Over the last 15 years of skiing every Easter
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Two words of advice - NORTH FACING
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Two words of advice - NORTH FACING

Yeah, well that's easier said than done.

Name some good examples.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been away at Easter for the past few years, to low resorts in Austria to higher resorts in France and southern slopes in Andorra. NSE&W facing. Been out skiing in a t-shirt, then in the same week with thermals, fleece and a jacket. The weather is what it is as are the conditions.

We've always had a lot of fun. We also usually ski until the lifts shut, even if the going gets tough. It's a lot more relaxed than those holidays in deep winter where you have limited daylight to do things. It's lovely to go out in the evening for a wander round the village/town in daylight and sitting out with a beer in the sun.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey John E, Flight from Liverpool, then the chalet is with a company called Mountain Sun and this includes transfers from Geneva, food, and because its only a sort break they also let you use there sking equipment skis snow boards etc etc in with the price., so unless yu want to take your own stuff with you (we usually do) you only have your luggage to trapes around which we are going to try, except for my son, he did a season in Serre Chev and had some Doctor Ski's made which he wont be parted from. Apart from our friend who booked this for us and who has been going a number of years, there are another 10 or so going who have also been going the same place every year, I havent met any of them , just know they are a good lot and on for good ski, drink and eat in that order, so really looking forward to it now Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Name some good examples.

Very few places are pure north facing of course but Courchevel has a lot of relatively shady slopes which is one of the reasons I mentioned it.
One of the reasons that Les C has better snow than you'd expect from the altitude is that it is also relatively northerly facing.
GM too and of course that goes very high

The wrinkle on high skiing is that is generally over rock so you need a bit more cover. If the snow is getting very thin you are better giving up on good snow texture and going for grassy slopes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mrs Ducky, You are going to the Melezes which is well known in these forums. Top place with a top manager (Ellie) and great staff. It's in Upper Boisses which as you say is pretty quiet although the bar at the Melezes itself isn't a bad place for a few beers of an evening. It's right on the free bus route up to Le Lac so no problem getting up and down, day or evenng. I have been there a couple of times in late March/Early April and conditions have been fine. If it happens to be exceptionally warm just take the bus up in the morning but usually there is no issue skiing down to the Boisses or the Sache bubbles. You'll have a great time and with any luck I will be there with Little Miss Bogus around the same time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Name some good examples.

Very few places are pure north facing of course but Courchevel has a lot of relatively shady slopes which is one of the reasons I mentioned it.
One of the reasons that Les C has better snow than you'd expect from the altitude is that it is also relatively northerly facing.
GM too and of course that goes very high

The wrinkle on high skiing is that is generally over rock so you need a bit more cover. If the snow is getting very thin you are better giving up on good snow texture and going for grassy slopes.

I've probably skied more at Easter than at any other time of the year and always love it. It's usually pretty heavy in every resort going back at the end of the day but that's about the only downside

Courchevel is, indeed north facing and I've skied it a few times at Easter. It's usually great, as is VT - Everyone just uses Meribel as a through way at that time of year. You face the south facing bits of La Plagne (Campagny) of course and you usually see it's starved of snow. I did St Anton two years ago at Easter and apart from the north facing bits (which is a small part) it was very very heavy going.

There are loads of north facing resorts out there. Pila is lower than Cervinia but better snow due to orientation. La Plagne is mainly north facing, the list could go on and on. Scotland's usually good at Easter as is the western side of the States. Whistler is a big risk. I did it at Easter once and we got lots of rain low down. I'd imagine Banf, Lake Louise etc would be perfect in spring as it's bitterly cold mid winter.

I'd advise against the southern French Alps where spring kicks in earlier, The Dolomites will have man made snow whatever as they make so much but it can be very heavy by Easter as it's not that high and lots of sunshine hours. I had a wonderful week in Andorra with lots of powder but think I was a bit lucky. Andorra is actually the same latitude as Rome and the sun is very intense. I actually got sunstroke!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy