Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selfie sticks

Poster: A snowHead
Cannot find it anywhere else so thought I would bring up the latest viewing.

A skier at La Mongie today skiing down a piste holding a selfie stick in front of him with a camera - first glance I thought it was his pole...... Thought it was only Graham Bell with a camera who tried that and he is a top skier. The one I spotted was not.

Is this a new fashion to go with go pros - at least they are fixed to the helmet.

Is this a rare sighting or just a commonplace nowadays - I fear if the latter even more accidents from non- concentrating skiers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All too common. Particularly on very flat, slow sections of green and blue runs. Imagine the viewing pleasure to be had!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It always makes me want to ride just behind them, making rude gestures...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GoPro poles have been in fairly common use since the GoPro 1 - 5 or 6 years depending on how you count. They weren't called selfie sticks back then. I don't know Mr Bell, but I've some shots of Terje and a few other "top" snowboarders using them 5 seasons back. So it's an old fashion.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevomcd wrote:
It always makes me want to ride just behind them, making rude gestures...

It has become my hobby, when skiing on piste, to photo bomb (GoPro bomb?) selfie stick skiers. I match their speed and every turn, so that I'm in the video the whole time. I know it's childish but.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last season one set off in front of me without looking up hill, after an evasive manoeuvre I then threatened to shove it somewhere which would have produced a clip that could not be hosted on sH. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Funniest label I heard was, "Dick with a stick"!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Zero_G, I love a bit of GoPro bombing! A few seasons back we were doing it at one of the local hills here, and I was talking about it on the SnowJapan forum. Turns out I had bombed one of the other posters on there, and he even provided the video evidence!

http://youtube.com/v/v_gtdez9u4k
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Before the days of action cams, we used to have a 'photo day' when everyone in the group brought along their video and still cameras and we took time out to take panoramas, jump shots etc. Some of these produced very memorable shots that I look back on now with affection. It was understood that this was a form of rest day (actually, usually it was just a couple of hours) when everyone took photos of other people, to be exchanged later.

To my mind, GoPro Teletubby and stick shots have become so ubiquitous that I just get bored, however spectacular the scenery or skiing is. I think they're fine for a part of a video but I'd make a plea for people to try and mix their shots a bit, if they want to elevate their video above the mundane. Try some hand-held shots by someone stationary; some low-level ones with people jumping overhead; some of the surrounding 'furniture' like signposts etc. If the view is good, do a pan with the camera on a level plane, and so on. Even consider some still shots .....

I'm not saying people should turn into film directors. But perhaps take your compact camera along as well and use it to get something different to mix with the GoPro stuff.

I'm sure most people are aware enough to know when sking with one pole outstretched and concentraing on a moving selfie is going to be dangerous, but it's the minority that aren't that concerns me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were on a chair in PdS last week and saw a guy going down a flat piste filiming himself on one of these going "WWWwooooooo!!!!!!".

The gimp.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bizarre form of narcissism.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Use my iphone to record my 6yr old skiing. Thats all. Never recorded myself and don't own a selfie stick.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
J2R wrote:
Bizarre form of narcissism.

This x 1000 wasn't there something in the paper about this?

Filming yourself going up a chairlift? I'd watch! rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't get this. At all.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
msej449 wrote:
To my mind, GoPro Teletubby and stick shots have become so ubiquitous ....
I'm not saying people should turn into film directors. But perhaps take your compact camera along as well and use it to get something different to mix with the GoPro stuff.
I'm sure most people are aware enough to know when sking with one pole outstretched and concentraing on a moving selfie is going to be dangerous, but it's the minority that aren't that concerns me.

The really annoying thing is that it's compulsory to watch. Oh, wait, it's actually not compulsory.

Sure, there's a lot of this stuff, and it's all the same. But there's a lot of reality TV/ music/ whatever, and it's all the same. The thing is, you don't have to "consume" what you don't want. That's kind of the reason there's a "play" button there. Don't press it if it upsets you.

I'd say that people carrying £400 of camera probably ride more cautiously overall than those who aren't. So whilst I'd love to see the statistics that prove that GoPro use is dangerous, I shan't hold my breath.

I think the truth is that haters like to whine, and can't do that if they don't press "play".
ski holidays
and that gimp referred to a few posts back (plus most of the others) will probably overdub all those "yeehaw whooop whoop!" with their favourite band.
Fortunately, GEMA, the German performing rights cartel, blocks all such vids on youtube, so acts as a 5hit vid with 5h1t music alert, saving me 2 minutes of my life.

Liking the idea of go-pro bombing.
snow conditions
@philwig, +1, well said.
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Funniest label I heard was, "Dick with a stick"!

I like "the wand of narcissism" Wink
ski holidays
Hey i'm a dick with a stick LOL. I like to watch myself back on video and check my technique out as I am going for my Level 1 re-sit later this year and it was my riding position that I failed on.

So my excuse is its educational wink
snow report
@chrisrawles, what can you learn about your riding position when all you can see is your head and the clown bombing you behind?
ski holidays
After a while, photos (or videos) are the only memory of a holiday you'll have - so the more the merrier IMV.
Even if they do have an idiot waving in the background.
latest report
I did manage to catch a skier taken a huge tumble in the background of mine from over Xmas. I will try to get a link to it. Could be worth £250 on You Been Framed
snow report
@call me dave, +1
@chrisrawles, +1
@under a new name, +1
@Ray Zorro, +1
@chrisrawles, +1

I guess if people want to selfie then so be it. narcissism or happy memories, who cares?

Now I'm off to borrow a selfie stick and record myself sitting on a fence.
ski holidays
TBH if people stop posing for selfies every few hundred metres, making random duck faces and trying to make themselves look like backcountry legends on the fluff on the side of the piste for their GoPros then we're gonna have to find something else to laugh at. Long may it continue Wink
ski holidays
Where I come from actually laughing at people is rude, but it is mildly curious to see all those people riding about carrying *two* selfie sticks, only without cameras on them. Plenty to whine about there, if you don't have a life.
snow conditions
Quote:

I like to watch myself back on video and check my technique out as I am going for my Level 1 re-sit later this year and it was my riding position that I failed on.

Isn't your body position compromised by the fact you're waving a camera on a stick around trying to stay in shot?
ski holidays
aka The Wand of Narcissism
snow conditions
"I think the truth is that haters like to whine, and can't do that if they don't press "play"."

I know that I don't have to watch. And I don't. My comments were meant to be more constructive and suggest that people themselves might like to try out a veriety of additional techniques so they themselves would get more out of the filming exercise.

And why is it that anyone who expresses a reasonable concern is immediately labelled a "whiner"? Rather than calling people names, it's surely more adult to make the case for these selfies, as some of the other more mature postes have done.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@philwig wrote:

The really annoying thing is that it's compulsory to watch. Oh, wait, it's actually not compulsory.

Love some of these comments. Just bought a GoPro, helmet attachment and a 'narcissistick' as they're being called to film myself and friends doing activities as I fancy myself as a bit of a video editor. Yes I'll mix lots of different clips and stills and put it together with a music video of my choice.

Yes I'll post it on my Facebook wall as a memory for me and for friends to see what a great time I had whilst boarding, if they can be bothered.

As the chap said above, no-one's forcing you or anyone else to watch. I have some great video footage of my kids skiing set to music and now they're grown up I still really enjoy seeing it.

Won't be long before my knees are old and bu gg ered and I won't be able to do it anymore so why not have fun while you can and record the memories?!

Feel free to videobomb me in a nice way. It'll add to the entertainment!
ski holidays
We got a great video from the ski school for my daughters lessons, without a go pro and stick it just wouldn't have been the same, they cut it up, used stills, different shots.
ski holidays
@under a new name, You have to adjust the camera angle so you get more than just your head!.
ski holidays
Yup, pretty pure narcissm, and mixing in other angles makes better videos, won't stop me selfieing every now and again though!
snow report
@galpinos, If you have good body management then no! If you watch an experienced snowboarder that flies around the pistes you will notice most of the movement comes from the hips down.
snow conditions
IF I DONT LOVE MYSELF NO ONE ELSE IS GOING TO DO A GOOD ENOUGH JOB@!$# Shocked Shocked Embarassed NehNeh
snow conditions
Quote:
@galpinos, If you have good body management then no! If you watch an experienced snowboarder that flies around the pistes you will notice most of the movement comes from the hips down.

I see lots of experienced boarders, not many good ones though. I thought you meant skiing, boarding is a different kettle of fish, it's easy!
ski holidays
I ride with a quiet upper body, but a pole takes a bit of getting used to. Not dissimilar from riding with a chest pack or a heavy backpack.

Short poles mean you have to hold your arm out, which is tiring, where as long poles are generally heavy.

If you were learning (most still need to even if they're not), then it wouldn't help, if that's the point.
If you crash badly on a nice carbon fibre pole then you're down £70 or so.
snow conditions
My son went parapenting in Verbier the other day (christmas present) and the instructor that took him had a selfie/Gro Pro stick for stil photos which he then emailed to my son. The photos were great, but I can't see why you'd use one skiing, apart from looking a tool.
ski holidays
At least with the selfie you have something going on in the frame, POV gets a bit dull unless you are skiing really gnarly lines.
snow report
MagSeven wrote:
@Zero_G, I love a bit of GoPro bombing! A few seasons back we were doing it at one of the local hills here, and I was talking about it on the SnowJapan forum. Turns out I had bombed one of the other posters on there, and he even provided the video evidence!

http://youtube.com/v/v_gtdez9u4k

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy