Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

patellar tracking disorder

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was diagnosed in september, haven't been as disciplined with my physio as I should have been so I'm off skiing next week still in pain if load my weight on my left knee or if i go sharply to the left.
Strenuous walking and going up and down stairs causes it to get inflamed but the pain is not too severe. have managed to continue playing football largely pain free but it flares up afterwards. Pretty obvious that skiing is gonna cause a fair bit of discomfort but wanted to know if anyone can recommend a knee brace that will help keep the kneecap in place?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tange, Physio can show you how to tape it. Might help. My hubby has/had it. He uses a Ski Mojo. Not a brace as such but a device which takes the load off the knee.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tange, I'm sure someone will correct me but I don't think swelling is a normal symptom of patellar maltracking....

I was diagnosed as having chondromalecia patella and patella femoral pain but after 8 different medical opinions (none of which matched), 2 x rays and 2 MRI's 3 years apart with umpteen problems in between (including occasional swelling), a recent arthroscopy found a torn lateral meniscus. The arthroscopy was performed because 'they' couldn't agree whether my ACL and medial meniscus were intact or not (both are) - there was never any suspicion of a problem with my lateral meniscus but that was the side where my patellar pain was. My surgeon trimmed the meniscus, shaved the tibia, shaved the patella, removed all the scar tissue around the ligaments and the pain's completely gone. I've therefore come to the conclusion that patellar maltracking is just a catch-all diagnosis for when they haven't really got a clue what the problem is.

So maybe you need more detailed investigation?

Anyway, if you're sure it's patellar maltracking and it's too tight on one side (usually the lateral side but the traction is reversible) this is the only brace in the world as far as I know that is designed to help http://www.bioskin.com/bio-skin-braces-and-supports/knee-braces-and-supports/qloktm-dynamic-patella-traction-knee-brace.html

I've got one that's now spare but it's back in the UK so I can't sell it to you cheap. Sorry!

Good luck, it's an exasperating problem.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the same problem. I've had pain in my knee off and on for a few years but this last year it has been more painful but I have also skied more in the last couple of years than in previous. I went to physio in November and was told it was patellar tracking disorder, she gave me exercises to do and how to tape my knee so the patellar is in the correct position. Taping does help but having my knee taped everyday for a whole week in December my skin came out in a terrible rash and itch, I presume I am allergic to the tape/adhesive. The exercises seem to help but I too am net very disciplined when it comes to doing them. I'm off to Winter Park Colorado in 10 days so have got some hypoallergenic tape and am cramming in the exercises. @Tange, what physio were you advised to do?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Raceplate, should have been clearer, by flare up and inflamed I mean for symptoms to return rather than swell up. The fat pad can often feel thicker than the other side but there is never swelling of the knee.

I have only seen one consultant but I have started the process of getting a 2nd opinion because of the lack of progress which has potentially been down to the complexity of the exercises ive been given which has made the rehab quite frustrating. unfortunately I have a long history of problems with my left leg which has contributed to this making it a very complicated situation. That said I am conscious of the kneecap not moving correctly and the pain is consistent with movements that take the knee cap to the left.

Will check out the brace, thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@speachmaus, my physio has me focusing a lot on improving the range of movement in my hip. Do a lot of flexibility stuff along with some basic stretches. He is under the impression, and I agree with him, that my knee is taking too much of the load because my glutes are not engaging properly. I am constantly balancing on the outside of my leg due to an old adductor injury and so my foot doesnt lie flat which has in turn weakened the inside of my quad. He also does a lot to stretch my IT band. So all in all it is pretty complex situation where I end up sorting one issue but in truth havent actually sorted it but rather just transferred it to another part of leg because my body has compensated for it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tange, I'm open to correction. I get this too. You need to exercise as much as reasonable. Just don't overdo running I'm told (though I run a lot). Cut your mileage a bit then work your way back up. Skiing will not do any major harm presumably as long as you stop if it gets sore and ice it. It'll never get better. But for now you'll be fine. Don't let it cramp your style.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have this too. It has resulted in OA in one knee (I'm 32 and wasn't especially active for most of my 20s) so take care of it! Mine hurts after a day on the snow, and at any time if I keep the knee in the same position for too long. Survival mechanisms? I snowboard rather than ski because it's less stressful on the knees (the potential for twisty movements just bother me too), which might be worth considering?

My consultant said that running and any impact exercise is strictly out now OA has developed which is fine cause I only run when chased anyway. He also told me it would be an idea to bin off the snowboarding too but that didn't go down too well Wink

Is there an official opinion on doing squats and other load-bearing weights with a dodgy patella?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@peanuthead, I have done some research and excercises can cure it. You may always be susceptible to it reoccurring but again excrcises help. So I disagree somewhat with you saying it will never get better. @call me dave, my physio gave me squats to do as part of my exercise regime, not weightlifting but baring your own weight while squeezing ball/towel between knees as well as lunges, knee lifts and leg/side stretches and it does help.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have had it and it wasn't helped by the NHS physio whatsoever, the exercises and advice they gave me made it worse and I ended up going every other day to the physio department to have it taped into position. Once the swelling had died down I went to a recommended private sports physio who studied my gait and gave me very precise exercises to hold my patella in exactly the correct position. My muscles were uneven and there were various other problems she corrected which had all impacted on my knee problem. Only skiied twice since, but I run and hike with absolutely no pain.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@speachmaus, thanks. When I saw it'll never get better I should have clarified that it will never be perfect again, ie will always be prone to recurrences of minor pain etc. But of course you should get back to full activity (though maybe not what you could do when you were 20)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i send lots of people off skiing every winter with medial meniscus tears as they come to see me too close to the ski trip to sort it out in advance. You need six weeks minimum to get back to skiing after arthroscopy.

As long as there isn't a displaced fragment you will probably get away with it but don't ski if very sore or swollen.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy