Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich Airport to Maria Alm, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am going to Maria Alm this coming half term (Feb 14-21) and I'm hoping someone can advise on an alternative route to drive (I'm hiring a car)
The drive from Munich on the motorway to Siegsdorf is never quick on that half term Saturday but I remember one particular journey a few years ago, when our half term coincided with Bavarian half term, was a nightmare and took over 7 hours I think. We certainly missed getting to the resort early enough to get our skis or shop at the supermarket anyway

Google does have an alternative route which does not include motorway but I have no idea if this is a mountain route,B roads or the equivalent to our A roads

Any advice from locals or others who have done the journey would be most welcome

Thanks

Rob
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Leave the E60 at Bernau am Chiemsee and go through Kossen and from experience it should take you around 1hr 20mins from there or if the motorway traffic is really bad you could branch off at the junction near Rosenheim and go through Oberaudorf and then Kossen.

The roads are similar to UK B-Roads and you won't go above about 80-90 Km/h - but the good side is that you get to see lots of lovely villages and scenery + do some scouting for many more ski holidays to come Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
samberg Sue gave me an alternative route to take from Munich airport last year during mid term and it was really good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd recommend keeping off the motorway and taking what is probably a more direct route across country. Basically you are heading for Erding then Wasserburg am Inn, Traunstein cross the autobahn to Inzell then Lofer and on to Maria Alm. Probably 2 hours 40ish but shouldn't be much different to that even on a Saturday.

The motorway can be a nightmare particularly as that week is also half term in Bayern.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@robandliza, it is most likely the route I gave @2waterford last year and it is mostly fast A-type road (100km/h max) and 50km/h through small towns and villages. It brings you to Siegsdorf where you pick up the normal route (B304/B305) to Saalfelden after leaving the A8.

Your Half Term does coincide with the Bavarian Schools and most of the other regions as it is Fasching Week, so anticipating full motorways is not a bad idea to work from.

@AthersT, that route through Schleching to Kössen is often closed in bad weather due to ice and/or avalanche dangers as it passes through a fairly narrow twisting gorge at one point. Turning off at Bernau is hardly worth it as if you have crawled that far, you only have another 20kms or so to get to the Siegsdorf turn off any way. The major hold ups between Chiemsee and Siegsdorf have all been removed as the roadworks are completed for now - the bridge at Bergen for example and the repairs to the road between Bernau and Grabenstätt. The main hold ups are between the airport and the A93 Inntal junction any way! wink This is just the sheer volume of traffic to be honest and there is nothing you can do about it really except go across country avoiding the A9/A99A8 route completely.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all

The route that Downhillalltehway mentions is the alternative one that Google suggests so I think I will go that one this year. Thanks also to 2Waterford, Samerberg Sue and AthersT
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@robandliza, do not go into any of the towns - Erding and Wasserburg are bloody nightmares to drive through and the route I gave 2waterford avoids all the big towns and uses the roads around them. Much as I like Wasserburg (beautiful old Baroque town centre), the one way system sucks big time. Even Traunstein has a route around the centre.

After Edling it is often easier to stay on the B304 rather than cut the corner via Seebruck and the north-eastern shore of Chiemsee on slower roads. At Traunstein you switch from the B304 to the B306 to Siegsdorf then you are back on the standard route.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Sue.....do you still have the route you gave 2Waterford?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does this look right?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Munich+International+Airport,+Nordallee,+Munich,+Germany/Maria+Alm+am+Steinernen+Meer,+Austria/@48.1363369,12.0485806,12z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x479e135923da6d45:0xe3c57a853a56cf4b!2m2!1d11.775028!2d48.353662!1m5!1m1!1s0x4776e13b985c8425:0x2b583902546c9c0b!2m2!1d12.89902!2d47.40528!5i1
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, but depending on the amount of traffic I would consider sticking on the B304 after Obing rather than doing the straight line though Seebruck and past Chiemsee. If there are a lot of trucks on the B304 it means that the road could be slower as you get closer to Traunstein, if this is the case keep the Seebruck option open. The B304 is a favourite route for big trucks due to them not having to pay any tolls If they are also avoiding the motorways for the same reason as you and also saving on the tolls, there are few places where you can overtake them safely.

BTW the A8 was closed at Übersee today in both directions for several hours due to a really bad accident - they don't just happen on change over days! wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Yep, but depending on the amount of traffic I would consider sticking on the B304 after Obing rather than doing the straight line though Seebruck and past Chiemsee. If there are a lot of trucks on the B304 it means that the road could be slower as you get closer to Traunstein, if this is the case keep the Seebruck option open. The B304 is a favourite route for big trucks due to them not having to pay any tolls If they are also avoiding the motorways for the same reason as you and also saving on the tolls, there are few places where you can overtake them safely.

BTW the A8 was closed at Übersee today in both directions for several hours due to a really bad accident - they don't just happen on change over days! wink

Smile Thank you
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A quick thank you to @Samerberg Sue, for the route advice

A lovely,relaxed 2.5-3 hour stroll through the countryside rather than the usual scrum fest

Perfect

Rob
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy