Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Our advice for skiing in Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from great day at Glenshee today. Snow was in brilliant nick, I'd expected wall to wall ice as usually when they say there's the odd patch of ice that's what it really means! But no, great snow conditions, couple of scrapy sections but on easy runs so no problem, just scoot over/around them. Best snow was on Coire Fionn red run, could have just gone up & down there all day Very Happy plus there were really no queues, pretty much ski up & on the poma. Weather was coming in by the end of the afternoon & light went flat, but dinging down with snow when we left which can only be a good thing & looks like it's set to do the same for a few days.....can't wait to get another day out again!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm planning a trip to Glencoe/Nevis in a couple of wks - a couple of the group are teachers so we have to go during half term (travel over from Belfast on the evening of Sat 14th Feb and prob come home evening of Tues 17th). We're either going to stay in Glencoe village or Fortwilliam. One gives us a longer drive one way and the other gives the longer drive the other way. One of the group won't be skiing so needs other activities to keep her occupied, either in the hotel or easy walks etc.

Questions:
Has anyone stayed in The Isles of Glencoe hotel?
Will it be really busy queuing for passes and ski hire (provided the weather is good) because of half term?
If it is busy are there any alternatives for hiring skis and boots?
(I had a day at each of the mountains 3 or 4 years ago but visibility wasn't great and quite a bit wasn't open) - The back corries at Nevis and Flypaper at Glencoe sound interesting, what are they like? (My off-piste experience is limited but I did just do a UCPA Off-piste wk)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SlipSki wrote:
In terms of the location to stop at, I have stopped at either Blairgowrie (a very small village just south of the cairngorns) or Pitochry, the larger town and brewery of fine scottish whisky (if this is your thing)

I know forums are all about opinions but as a Perth and Kinross boy, I have to point out that Blairgowrie is more than 3 times (pop. 8000) the size of Pitlochry (pop. 2500).

Sorry for being a pedant!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidhammy, I'm surprised you picked up on the population anomalies and not the brewing of whisky (but I am from the home of whisky). Jesting apart slipski, glad you enjoy and promote decent skiing at home.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was going to suggest Blairgowrie was meant to be Blair Atholl given its proximity to Pitlochry. But although it'd be possible to stay in either and visit Glenshee I'm not sure it'd be probable. Maybe he meant Braemar as that is certainly a small village just south of the Cairngorms (well, what most people would consider the bulk of the Cairngorms).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tom Doc wrote:
I'm planning a trip to Glencoe/Nevis in a couple of wks - a couple of the group are teachers so we have to go during half term (travel over from Belfast on the evening of Sat 14th Feb and prob come home evening of Tues 17th). We're either going to stay in Glencoe village or Fortwilliam. One gives us a longer drive one way and the other gives the longer drive the other way. One of the group won't be skiing so needs other activities to keep her occupied, either in the hotel or easy walks etc.

Questions:
Will it be really busy queuing for passes and ski hire (provided the weather is good) because of half term?
If it is busy are there any alternatives for hiring skis and boots?
(I had a day at each of the mountains 3 or 4 years ago but visibility wasn't great and quite a bit wasn't open) - The back corries at Nevis and Flypaper at Glencoe sound interesting, what are they like? (My off-piste experience is limited but I did just do a UCPA Off-piste wk)

Think the Isles of Glencoe has seen better days. Plenty of great B&B`s in Fort William i`d rather stay in. Ardlinnhe and Rustic View are two great ones.

There probably will be queues for ski hire and there`s nowhere else to hire from so get there early or hire some on the way. the ski centre at Bellahouston Park in Glasgow does cheap hire.

Flypaper is hardly ever open. I`ve never done it but i believe it`s maybe the steepest slope in Scotland? Back corries i`ve also never done so can`t really help you there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The back corries are like the yellow marked pistes in Verbier. They are not pisted, and so snow conditions can be variable when open. Sometimes they are hard and icy, with big boulders of rocky ice, sometimes soft with fresh powder snow (often closed due to avalanche risk then). Getting into the back corries is the most difficult bit. There is a steep drop, or a leap of faith required off a precipice onto an initially very steep slope.

Entering the back corries further down is easier as you can traverse when entering the steep slope rather than have to head straight down.

Once in the back corries, it is unpisted terrain but it will have lots of tracks there so you will be able to see where the rocks are.

The lifts there very rarely operate. So unless you like walking up steep snow hills, best to traverse around and get the lift up.

Flypaper has never been open when I have been there, despite it being the closest resort to me. I guess it is just too steep. There are rumours that it was open last year, but I missed that.

Laughing

Some old pics of the back corries

if you enter the back corries here it is less scary, once in it depends on the snow conditions. It is best on soft non icy snow

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 1-02-15 19:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For a good deal we stayed in the Glencoe inn last year. Great breakfast and a good meal in the Gathering Pub. ( changed a bit since i last went there 25 years ago).
I guess the hill management and health and safety rules have changed alot over the years as the Flypaper used to always be open and the east ridge. Favourite runs on the mountain when I was 10..... A looooong time ago. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys, here's hoping some of the steeper stuff will be open!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Car park full today at Glencoe
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great day at Glencoe today. Snow was excellent and weather was superb.

I really wish people would take heed of the request to bring cash for buying your lift pass - the queue was mental!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Yes, we stayed there last February and again just before this New Year. It was utterly bizarre. We dossed in the van the first night, but I couldn't face 5 hours cooped up in a VW with 2 kids on the second night so I phoned up the Isles of Glencoe:
Me: Hi I was trying to book your special offer yesterday before heading off from Manchester, but my PC broke so I couldn't complete the booking. How much is a B&B for four people?
Her: Yes we have rooms available, how much were you quoted?
Me: Erm it was £75 Dinner B&B, which sounded quite unlikely.
Her: Hmm no, we don't have that offer on our system at present.
Me: O well, never mind. I thought it was too good to be true 2 nights before Hogmany.
Her: Yes, the price we have here is £55, dinner, bed breakfast including a free bottle of wine. Leisure facilities and swimming pool included.
Me: You what, that's just nuts.

It was great. Dinner, booze, B&B for £16 a head .....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could be a classic day tomorrow, and i`ve got the day off work Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deedee wrote:
Could be a classic day tomorrow, and i`ve got the day off work Laughing

Is that an official or un-official day of work? snowHead snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/anSywxz7bCU
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was official (the very occasional benefits of working a lot of weekends).

Classic day it turned out to be at Nevis snowHead
snow report
https://www.flickr.com/photos/taburetka/sets/72157648838882494/
ski holidays
Glenshee was amazing this weekend!
ski holidays
SkiEcosse wrote:
Glenshee was amazing this weekend!

It was indeed.

Butchers looking from Cairnwell.

Sunnyside with Caenlochan in the middle and Glas Maol in the far background.

ski holidays
Glenshee is always amazing Smile (It's my local so I'm kinda biased) Laughing
snow report
My younger lad and I skied Saturday at Glenshee, also a fabulous day. We arrived around 8am and weren't far from front of the car park. Queues weren't bad on the Cairnwell area, which is as far as I got as he was having his first go at racing in the U10s GS, and the new chairlift is a huge improvement for uplift on that side.

Touring options looked excellent too, this taken from a point not far from where Gaza's pics were taken, looking the other way:

ski holidays
Snowcore wrote:
Arrive at the resorts EARLY - If it's a busy day with good snow/weather all the car parks WILL be full and late comers will be turned away - aim to arrive at the car park of the resort no later than 8-8:30 am, you can always leave early if you are tired but getting your spot in the car park is key.

One exception is Nevis Range. We went on their busiest Saturday of the season: start of half term, first good weather in a while, and a local event on. I called ahead to check tickets would still be available and was given stern warning there would be no hire kit left, but yes ticket sales would not be restricted as they had the hill space and uplift capacity to cope. Arrived just before midday, purchased afternoon passes and straight onto the gondola for 3-4h lapping the Goose.
ski holidays
@balernoStu, when I saw the entry list I thought you might be a tad old for the U10s. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

It looks like P did well in his first race. Not so good for Oscar yesterday though. He completely mucked up the Combi course on both his runs. A lot of the kids did the same. The problem was the U10s were supposed to go over the rollers and the U8s round a small slalom. However, Oscar and others tried to do both! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I see Glenshee have posted a message on their FB page asking tourers not to skin up the pistes and also to buy a single use lift pass for when they are too tired to skin. Laughing Laughing
snow report
Gaza wrote:
@balernoStu, when I saw the entry list I thought you might be a tad old for the U10s. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Ha, yes. I mailed a late entry enquiry at what turned out to be just before they finalised the entries, so they only had my name at that point. As such we also made it onto the late-payers mass email Embarassed

Quote:
It looks like P did well in his first race. Not so good for Oscar yesterday though. He completely mucked up the Combi course on both his runs. A lot of the kids did the same. The problem was the U10s were supposed to go over the rollers and the U8s round a small slalom. However, Oscar and others tried to do both! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Thanks. I was impressed as he put down 2 solid runs at his skiing level, and not bad on the line. He's been skiing brush courses indoors on Sunday mornings since the Autumn, and a handful of Saturday mornings in Super Racers at Hillend. A theme on the way home was "when's the next one, dad?".
snow conditions
balernoStu wrote:
A theme on the way home was "when's the next one, dad?".

The Bairns Bucket at Nevis on Saturday 12th March. Laughing Laughing Oscar is entered in that one. Glencoe is the week after.
ski holidays
Another vote for Nevis!

The mountain just absorbs the people! No queues and pistes not very busy on a glorious weekend.
ski holidays
A good post from Snowcore above, thanks.

I can't add much to other resorts but can add a bit of info about Glencoe. The A82 from Glasgow - Crianlarich etc. is fairly reliable and if closed is not normally closed for long. Frustratingly the worst sections occur just before the ski centre where you are high and exposed to wind/drifting snow on occasion. https://trafficscotland.org/ is good for road updates.

There is a fair bit of accommodation around. Glencoe Mountain Resort has camping pods, shower block and of course the cafe. The Kinghouse Hotel is in the process of a series of renovations and is only 1 mile or so from the ski centre. Decent bar too. Outwith those two you need to travel a bit. Tyndrum is maybe 30 minutes back down towards Glasgow. Ballachulish, about 20-25 minutes away, as mentioned by Snowcore is a good option - lots of B&B's, reasonable pub that does excellent food.

Closer to the ski centre by at least 5 minutes (yes, I'm biased!), Glencoe Village is also a good choice. So-so pub but lots of B&B's, a hotel, campsite and there are also quite a few accommodation options (from luxury B&B to hostel, cabin and cottage) along the old road between the village and the excellent Clachaig Inn.

Having your own transport definitely makes things easier although there is good public transport from Glasgow. If travelling by public transport I'd either stay at the ski centre or in Glencoe or Ballachulish Village and prebook taxi's (cheaper for 3+ people) or get the bus back up each day.

More info on accommodation can be found on www.discoverglencoe.com. I do run a business in the area but haven't plugged that. Just thought some more info would be useful.

If anyone needs more info feel free to ask.

Keith
latest report
Thanks, that's useful.

I've considered sleeper to Fort William. How practical is it to do without a hire car and access Glencoe as well as Nevis?
ski holidays
@dogwatch, it is doable but likely to be a bit of a PITA. You can get buses but they are infrequent and will still involve a bit of a hike at Glencoe. There is a direct bus from FW to Nevis. It runs every 2 hours from 9:30 and takes 25 minutes.

Cairngorm would be easier in the Sleeper. Bus direct from station to mountain. It runs every hour or so.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dogwatch,

Gaza is right about staying in FW and getting out to both Nevis Range and Glencoe. Nevis Range would be easy enough but Glencoe would involve a 45 min bus trip then a walk up the road (about 30 mins). Still do-able but not the quickest or easiest.

I like making things complicated so you could always get the sleeper to FW, stay there and ski/board Nevis Range for a few days then transfer through to Glencoe and stay at their accommodation for a few days. Jump back on the bus to Bridge of Orchy (about 30 mins) and get the sleeper back from there!

Keith
snow conditions
Thanks, it sounds like car hire would need to be budgeted in.
ski holidays
It would definitely make it much easier dogwatch. Easydrive in FW are normally reliable and well priced.
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
Thanks, it sounds like car hire would need to be budgeted in.

If you were doing that then flying to Glasgow and hiring from there would probably work out cheaper. The Sleeper can be expensive.
latest report
Looking mild at the weekend guys, fingers crossed the snow stays!

Decent base right across the resort's so should hold for a while.

Think Glencoe is decent today, anyone skied the Lecht recently?
latest report
i am thinking of doing a combined skiing and mountain bike few days next week, probably mon to frid and i was thinking that cairngorm would be the best place to do both, as i have to rely on public transport and aviemore is an easy place for bike hire, but everybody gives cairngorm negative reviews for skiing, whys that, is it just not very good, i imagine i will be skiing for one day, probably tues or wed, so whats the problem. the mountain bike trail i had in mind was Loch Einich
snow report
@compostcorner, there is good skiing to be had at Cairngorm and the Spey Valley is lovely base for a multi-activity trip, particularly for the type of biking you had in mind, and also less likely to be wet than the West. Cairngorm's sheer popularity with visitors is the main issue, as parking and uplift capacity can struggle to keep up during peak holiday and weekend times. Midweek in March should be fine.
snow conditions
compostcorner wrote:
i am thinking of doing a combined skiing and mountain bike few days next week, probably mon to frid and i was thinking that cairngorm would be the best place to do both, as i have to rely on public transport and aviemore is an easy place for bike hire, but everybody gives cairngorm negative reviews for skiing, whys that, is it just not very good, i imagine i will be skiing for one day, probably tues or wed, so whats the problem. the mountain bike trail i had in mind was Loch Einich

If you're driving up it might be an idea to stop off at Glentress en-route (for mountain biking) which is about an hours drive south of Edinburgh :-

http://www.glentressforest.com/
snow conditions
the plan is flying from bristol to inverness, then train or bus to aviemore
ski holidays
@compostcorner, try Mikes Bikes in Aviemore for bike hire. They normally have a good selection of bikes. Lots of great trails around Aviemore. Rothiemurchus Estate is a great place to go.
latest report
Really great to see the conditions now after a relatively poor start to the season. I hope you all enjoy the skiing up there and the great snow continues long in to the spring.
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
The back corries are like the yellow marked pistes in Verbier. They are not pisted, and so snow conditions can be variable when open. Sometimes they are hard and icy, with big boulders of rocky ice, sometimes soft with fresh powder snow (often closed due to avalanche risk then). Getting into the back corries is the most difficult bit. There is a steep drop, or a leap of faith required off a precipice onto an initially very steep slope.

Entering the back corries further down is easier as you can traverse when entering the steep slope rather than have to head straight down.

Once in the back corries, it is unpisted terrain but it will have lots of tracks there so you will be able to see where the rocks are.

The lifts there very rarely operate. So unless you like walking up steep snow hills, best to traverse around and get the lift up.

Some old pics of the back corries

if you enter the back corries here it is less scary, once in it depends on the snow conditions. It is best on soft non icy snow

Hey Bigtipper- great advice re the Back Corries.

My own advice based on hard won experience on Saturday is: In a whiteout at the top of the Back Corries, take careful note of the highly irregular edge and height profiles of the corries edge in Bigtippers photos.

If you ski towards what appears to be snow-covered higher ground, behind the edge of the person in front, you may accidentally fall off a 10-20' drop and onto a 50+ degree slope- rag doll, have a general garage sale, slide 50-60' and have your life/ children's lives / funeral flash before you. I walked / skied away and went back for more- dropped in via both the leap of faith and traverse methods. Good communication in poor viz conditions probably quite important to avoid near death type scenarios.

Whilst the entrances are indeed puckering and the initial slopes on the steep side of steep (i.e. when you come to a rest, a clean 45' when measured objectively with 2 ski poles) after a turn of two they ease considerably- to just steep (i.e. a comfy 35'). If visible to means other than IR enhancement / radar then the entrances are however formidable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy