Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Restaurant near Gare du Nord/Gare de l'Est

Poster: A snowHead
We are taking train to Saalbach on 13/14 Feb, staying overnight in Paris on the Friday night near Gare de l'Est.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for somewhere to have a bite to eat late on Friday evening (we arrive in Paris at about 9.30pm) somewhere around Gare du Nord/Gare de L'Est. Not looking for anything fancy - just a reasonable steak frites and a glass of wine or similar.

We have never done the train across Europe before - but seemed like a massive bargain compared with flying at half term - just €278 all in for four of us travelling first class. Interested to see how it goes - could become a habit if it is as easy as it looks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The brasserie right across the road from the front entrance of Gare de Nord always used to be a good bet and they serve late. Hopefully it's still good - I used to live in Paris but have been away for 5 yrs, but things don't usually change that much in Paris! They do the usual steak frites stuff and also used to do a truly fantastic bouillabaisse if you like that kind of thing. It's also really big so never a problem getting a table.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In concert to what Niegehead appropriately said................ The area is packed full of places, be it immediately on Dunkerque or any of the adjacent streets. As far as I'm concerned over decades of passing through, they're all good. One of the many things the French never get wrong is food, especially in Paris.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
au contraire, @equinoxranch, the French can often get food spectacularly wrong, especially in Paris.

That said, opposite the stations at Terminus Nord or Cafe de l'Est - both look like the sort of places where you'll get tolerably palatable brasserie food (tinned confit for example, but they're not the sort of establishments where you'd expect the owners to confit their own ducks), at only slightly ripping off prices.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rg1, ah, you're overnighting in Paris. Does your €278 include your hotel Shocked ? I stayed in a hotel near Gdl'E a few months ago and must have found somewhere to eat, but have no idea where. I don't recall it being shocking.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A word of caution.

A few years ago we were heading back to the station after a long day traipsing aroind Paris. We were hungry and thirsty and had a wait for our booked train. We went into a large street cafe directly opposite the station but didn't hang around for long. The street price was 11 euros for a pint!! We didn't get as far as looking at the food menu. It was marginally cheaper inside.

A word of advice.

A few years before that we had a couple of days in Paris and we borrowed a Rough Guide (pre-internet). We read the section on cheap restaurants and chose one which got good reviews. It was difficult to find as it was off a side street off a side street and down an alley. It was worth the walk.

Instead of Rough Guide try Trip Advsor - I generally find their reviews to be good enough to make a selection.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for your responses. Sounds as if we should be fine. Any other ideas gratefully received!

Navriq, your word of caution is exactly the reason for asking the question - I tend to agree with under a new name - too often in Paris we have found extraordinary rip off prices for poor quality, so was hoping someone had some first-hand recommendations. Have looked at TripAdvisor - but nothing beats a good first hand recommendation...

Under a new name - no, €278 does not include the hotel - we are treating it as an extension to the holiday... We booked the trip late (trying to get a decision out of one of the group families was impossible, and by the time we finally got sorted, the best flights to Salzburg we could find were at 4.30am from Gatwick for approx. £600 per person once luggage etc was included, so the train suddenly looked rather attractive both from a price and timing point of view...). Strangely, am rather looking forward to the journey - I quite like the idea of watching Europe whizz past at 200mph, and not having to get up before I have gone to bed to do it!

BTW, top tip if anyone is thinking of train travel through Germany at any time - we have two children with us, aged 14 and 12. If we had booked the same tickets on the SNCF site (or its UK affiliates), they would have travelled at 50% of adult price. By booking the same trains on Deutsche Bahn, they go free when travelling with adults! Which is why we decided to treat ourselves to first class...

We could have done a same day trip and avoided the overnight costs in Paris (and our return is a single day - leave Salzburg 0800 and arrive London 2039, with time for tea in Paris), but it meant a 6.57am train to Brussels, 2 slightly tight changes (8 mins) and arriving quite late - but the early booking all-in price of €59ppe/w incl the Eurostar is very good value (London Spezial fare), and we might look at that another time, when I will not have so many Eurostar points to use up. I do wish that the planned direct trains from London to Germany would hurry up and happen - that would revolutionise things.

We have about an hour to change trains in Stuttgart at lunch time - probably not enough time to sit down for lunch, but does anyone know if there is a decent deli or similar in or near the station where we could stock up with a nice picnic and bottle of wine?

Thanks again
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rg1, sounds pretty cool. I spend quite a lot of time on trains Happy My definite preference is the German I.C.E. - always a pleasure, often with free wifi, etc. I would think Stuttgart has a reasonable station supermarket but I think it'll be pre-prepared sandwiches rather than fresh breads and choices of cheese & wine.

I am not often surprised on the internet, but here I am - a map of the station, obviously a little rail geekery going on http://www.openrailwaymap.org/index.php?lang=en&lat=48.7856098758287&lon=9.18339585202065&zoom=18&style=standard Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,

rg1 wrote:
train across Europe
seemed like a massive bargain compared with flying at half term

We did something similar to Finland February half-term last year - late Friday afternoon (so leisurely trundle by train from home) Ryanair from Stanstead to Tampere (Ryanair's 'Helsinki' airport), bus to the railway station in the centre of Tampere meets the plane, have dinner while awaiting sleeper train, comfy sleeper to Rovaniemi (booked in GB on the excellent VR website), bus to Yllas meets train and drops us by accommodation. snowHead too

Flying all the way back on the Saturday was pretty much the same price as staying 'til the Monday and flying back then ... so Norwegian from Kittila to Gatwick on the Monday ... Cool

As usual, only problems or delays at British airports with the shambolic 'UK Border Force' :roflmao

Regards,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with UANN on this - my only experience of one of the brasseries opposite GdN was distinctly underwhelming. Not positively bad, but a bit like how I imagine eating in an Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse would be in London. If you can face a few stops on the Metro you could get somewhere like Bofinger for a proper classic brasserie and no doubt numerous other places which will be a bit more interesting than the random ones around the station
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arno, true but I'd be worried about the 21h30 arrival, then checkin, etc,. then getting somewhere.

I'm a little wary of Tripadvisor these days, as I travel a lot and use hotels and restaurants a lot and frankly, I have to wonder where some people's expectations come from. e.g. it's costing 1 euro a week in Paris and you wonder the door only locks from the outside??

But this looks fun http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d4678589-Reviews-La_Numidya-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Map with more here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187147-Paris_Ile_de_France.html#MAPVIEW

Like Arno, I'd probably hop on the RER and head towards Bastille as I had a wander around there a few weeks ago and saw a few venues that looked promising. But that time of night, I would seriously book and be sure the kitchen was (happily) open.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
au contraire, @equinoxranch, the French can often get food spectacularly wrong, especially in Paris.

That said, opposite the stations at Terminus Nord or Cafe de l'Est - both look like the sort of places where you'll get tolerably palatable brasserie food (tinned confit for example, but they're not the sort of establishments where you'd expect the owners to confit their own ducks), at only slightly ripping off prices.

Whatever you say you imperious tête de Richard. Go swill some beans and toast and blood sausage all washed and warm beer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
equinoxranch wrote:
some beans and toast and blood sausage

AKA cassoulet with croutons* NehNeh

* sort of
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant, must add tête de Richard to my stock of such phrases. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@equinoxranch, What's got your bloomers in a twist?

Any fule knos that tourist centric Parisien restaurants (and hotels, especially hotels) can be seriously bad for the digestion and wallet (that would, I guess, be "bill fold" to you).

"tête de Richard" indeed - I think the word you may be looking for would be "connard"
latest report
Arno wrote:
equinoxranch wrote:
some beans and toast and blood sausage

AKA cassoulet with croutons* NehNeh

* sort of

Not sort of at all. Perfect description of cassoulet. Would be nice with a bit of boudin noir to spice it up a little.

Warm beer? At least it's not carbonated... Twisted Evil
snow report
@under a new name, I think it's supposed to have a bit of bird in it, goose or duck, n'est-ce pas? (Cassoulet, that is, not beer.)
ski holidays
@Pedantica, it is? I thought it was just sausage and beans. My OH makes a very good chicken, chorizo and butter bean version it must be said. Duckmight be rather good too.
snow report
Wikipedia have been eating near gare de l'Est, "The cheapest ones contain only beans, tomato sauce, sausages, and bacon"

And duck confit is a traditional addition. How exvellent, we shall try that next time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy