Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone give me some advice about Garmisch please?

I might head there for 4 days from the 31st of January. Mountains look decent, not all that much in the way of mileage but enough for 3 or 4 days.

What's the town like? How's the apres?

Any advice is much appreciated. Happy

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went fr 4 days over xmas 2013.

It's a proper town with two separate ski areas, both a bus ride away from the hotel areas, hausberg closer, and from memory some nice tree lvel skiing good enough for a couple of days, zugspitz further and accessed via funicular which takes around 40 mins. Zugspitz is higher and much more open bowl area, again good for a couple of days.

The town was very quiet even at xmas IMHO and nothing to write home about, some nice shops and one or two restaurants, but felt to me like people stayed mainly at their hotels.

We visited the skijump which was pretty cool.

All in all it was good enough for a few days, but for me, I was expecting more of an atmosphere...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sean1967, Garmisch is a proper town, with nice shopping center cafes etc, but not really dancing on tables with ski boots type of thing. The main ski area 'Garmisch Classic' has everything if you know where to look; some great little off piste bits up at the Osterfelderkopf, and some world class high speed racer runs on the Kandahar. The other area up on the Zugspitze is a big bowl with fairly easy runs and some absolutely fantastic cruisy off piste down the sides of the bowl. One area they call Little Canada has got to be done. Other than that the cable car ride up to the glacier is awesome if you are not scared of heights. You can also get up there by funicular but it's less interesting. If you are there for a week then make sure you get the ticket for the full area so you can ski over on the Austrian side in the Zugspitz Arena, in Ehrwald, Lermoos and Biberwier, Lermoos is my favourite there, but I also sometimes do the others. The American forces still have the AFRC recreation center there, so you will hear a surprising number of American voices.
Well worth a visit for a slightly different skiing experience, but not necessarilly for the standard Austrian style apres experience!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
3 times I have managed to fit in a sneaky couple of days at Garmisch. Agreee with other posters.
You can hire at the bottom lift station Hausberg - its easy to get to, right on the edge of town- taxi or bus.
Hausberg has good parking and you can buy your ticket and jump right on the bubble. Very easy even if you only have three hours.

The higher Zugspitze guarantees snow but it is very exposed up there in the wind. The train from Hausberg to Zugspitze takes a long long time to do the journey. If you have more time and a car you can dive up the valley to the Zugspitze cable car which gives quicker access.
If the snow is poor at Garmisch another option is Ehrwald just over the border in Austria - access by car from Garmisch.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hope you get good snow for the Kandahar it was patchy last year when we were there, but it is a great run right back to the bottom, lots of fun and straight back up ona bubble no waiting. There is enough skiing for a few days If all the runs are open, so enjoy it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy