Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter skiing this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We were intending driving again this Easter for 2 weeks. Wondering though if the lack of snow this year means the depths won't be as great and may disappear quicker than normal?

Haven't booked anything yet, intend going to Les Coches or Montchavin so we have access to the high areas of La Plagne/Les Arcs.

I know there's still time for plenty more snow, but just trying to make a decision on whether to wait till Easter or take a late package booking for a week in Feb or March.

I know no-one has a crystal ball with regards to snow, but is everyone confident for Easter as much as they would have been in previous years?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

but is everyone confident for Easter as much as they would have been in previous years?

yes, I'm as confident as I've been previous years. Which means I hope it'll be good, but really don't know! I've seen snow disappear very rapidly when it gets warm and the foehn wind blows and I've also seen huge dumps in March - that was the year the Easter snow was deepest. Couple of metres at 2000m but I was disappointed to find it still gets slushy on the top - I had naively thought it would stay in nicer condition.

I'd hold on. Even if there are big falls in the next few weeks the big ski areas will still be very crowded in the Feb/March school holidays and if it's still really thin at lower altitudes they'll be horrendous. My daughter and SIL, both experienced skiers, were in Flaine some years ago at half term (both teachers) when the snow was poor and they said the Flaine pistes were far too crowded, icy, slick and dangerous. They didn't enjoy it much, having to spend the entire time dodging round people.

If you have absolute freedom of choice I think I'd go for the second half of March. And keep your fingers crossed. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers for that. We are in Scotland so half term is weekend of 7th Feb, but still have to take him out a couple of days as we don't get the week off. Was looking at Pila for that and it's usually quieter than the French resorts.

Other option is a cheap late deal mid March, (I'd just take son out for the week, we don't get fined here) can't do last week in March.

Think I'll stick with original idea of the drive for the Easter 2 weeks for now then.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gilly28, as Pam says, conditions now have little bearing (at least for on piste skiing) on what happens then.

Who knows...

My perception of the last 26 years though is that Easter (holidays) is a significantly more reliable period than pre-xmas.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The runs down to Les Coches and Montchavin will be mega-slushy late in the season. Why don't you want to stay in one of the higher villages? Belle Plagne or Plagne Centre would be ideal..

I've been to La Plagne in late March and conditions were excellent - there was even fresh snow. Obviously that's far from guaranteed, but I think it's a good choice for that time of year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

My perception of the last 26 years though is that Easter (holidays) is a significantly more reliable period than pre-xmas

+1 and hugely more enjoyable. Everything open, long days, sunny terraces, valleys covered in primroses, wood violets, cowslips, apple blossom....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am confident, we have had great Easter holidays for the last 15 years, don't see why this year should be any different. Last year again looked bad on the run up to Easter but it came good in the end with a huge dump just before we arrived and again half way through the week!

Keep the faith for Easter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HoneyBunny, yes I know they will be slushy, we were there at Easter 2 years ago and the second week it was heavy going on the run home but son loved Evolution 2 in Montchavin, so mainly going back there for that. It's not set in stone last time we had a few ideas of where, and waited till about 6 weeks before just to keep an eye on the snow, but due to wanting to use Evo2 again, we are hoping to go there.

I remember looking at the webcams for Montchavin last year at Easter and there was hardly any snow at that level.

@JimboS, good to hear, school holidays are slightly later again this year than they were two years ago, but fingers crossed. Do you drive over at Easter? We'll be driving from Glasgow area.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gilly28, 6 weeks delay will not give you a good idea of what the snow is like...if there's huge quantities some of it will still be there, othervthan that? No information...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last year in the second week of April they kept the run down to the Vanoise express open (very slushy at the bottom). I think the run down to Montchavin was shut. The weather was exceptionally mild though. I much prefer the skiing on the Les Arcs side and would always look for accommodation there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes we did think about Les Arcs side, but as I mentioned it is mainly to do with the ski school at the moment...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy