Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm naive about bindings! advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi There,

excuse my lack of knowledge but I have always bought skis that come with bindings, and naively not given them much thought.

I am looking at a few skis currently, especially as the European shops have just got a bit cheaper, and quite a few come with many options for bindings.

Are there any good rules to follow when choosing them?

Specifically I am looking at Scott Punishers, 108mm waist, I am 6ft, 200lbs, 95kg ish! Some of them seem to offer brake widths which are much less then the ski Puzzled

I plan on skiing it mainly off piste, but wasn't planning at this stage on doing any touring.

thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sport Conrad are good for this, they don't normally mention the brake size, just that they will select the right brake for your chosen package.

Ekosport.fr (or .co.uk ) are another good one, seem good value and there was a NEWYEAR discount code that worked last week.

Binding advice, markers are good, look are good, atomic are good, just be sure that you are in an appropriate DIN range and buy to your budget.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have just bought from Glisshop, they telephone to check the bindings that you need for your ability and size, way cheaper than UK, due to exchange rate. Skis arrive Mon Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
More or less, for just about everyone, bindings don't need to be thought about. They all work pretty much equally well. You just need the correct size and weight range.

P.S. Nothing's become cheaper except the Euro if you're paying with a recently strengthened contra-currency.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice,

I didn't overcomplicate things and went with Marker's,

@cstreat, Hope you like your new skis, when and where are you off to ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wasn't sure bindings mattered too much.... but.... on my last trip the metal plate underpinning the back bindings on my ski's both snapped. One, one day and then the other, the next day. The ski's were purchased second hand and I'd had them 3 years maybe. They were Rossignol B2s with "standard" Salomon bindings. The skis hadn't been trashed and I don't think they'd done more than 15 weeks in total. Maybe I was unlucky but it did make me wonder. I am 85kg, experienced and ski the whole mountain so maybe I need to get something beyond recreational punter binding.

One thing I noticed is a standard binding would go up to say DIN 10, whereas the more expensive ones go up to 14/16. Maybe a simplistic view but having that higher DIN surely indicates greater integrated strength and stronger materials. Bindings don't seem to get much press so it's difficult to know. But my recent experience has got me thinking.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

higher DIN surely indicates greater integrated strength and stronger materials

I'd think so by necessity. i.e. more metal.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, The rear heel track on some salomon bindings is a know failure point, especially the ti versions. They crack.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@carroz, any links? Just interested really.

I had the thread go on the cranks of a new bike last year and it was interesting that when I did some digging a pattern of failure emerged. The manufacturers even had what effectively an all encompassing get out clause in their t&cs.

The first ski's I purchased were Salomons with Salomon bindings. They didn't break as such but I had lots of problems with unscheduled releases. Even got a shop to check them over but they couldn't see a prob. Maybe I should just avoid Salomon!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, Quite a bit on TGR (but they are mostly mad cliff jumpers!) and also on epic, plus on here. Just google it

It is mostly older stuff now, but z10 and z12 are not hugely robust if you beat them up a bit

here

http://www.epicski.com/t/56220/current-salomon-bindings

and

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/79699-Salomon-912-ti-heel-piece-failure
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers @carroz, they were S810s. Bit lightweight I think.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jonkgray78, Sorry, missed that ! Leaving on Friday morning, by car, nice bandb at Troyes, arriving Val Cenis Saturday, visiting Bonneval sur Arc in week ( favourite place ), and on the following Sat visiting Les Karellis on the recommendation of SH Altis, as a place that is very empty ( it`s municipally owned, so only really booked by French and Dutch, as far as I can see)
@carroz, Jacket arrived yet ?
@Layne, Definitely stronger spring, to cope with heavier weight , but load relative to strength presumably stays the same ish ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy