Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altitude effects and skiing at Easter dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Very annoyingly (given my love of skiing) I seem to be really prone to altitude effects and have major problems sleeping at anything over around 1900 m. I can generally cope with skiing higher up if we can return periodically to lower altitudes, and sleep at lower altitudes.

So... we usually go to lower resorts. However, our only available week this week is the pre-easter week and I'm a tad nervous about snow conditions (hate slushy sugary snow, had an accident on it once and it put me about a bit...)

I was thinking of Arc 1800 or somewhere like that. Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable resorts or other ways around the issue? It has to be somewhere within reasonable driving distance of Lyon. And to complicate things further we have two small children aged 4 and 6 so it needs to be somewhere suitable to their abilities as near-beginner skiers and somewhere without major trogs to the lifts/ ski school meeting place in the morning.

I did wonder about asking my doc if Diamox was an option but frankly GPs have enough to worry about without middle class dilemmas like this And also am already one other meds so it may be a no go anyway.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section - it seemed to fall between 'resort reports' and this one. Grateful for any feedback.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val D'isere is at 1850 and there is Boisse 1800 and Les Brevieres 1550 in Tignes, ski schools are limited in Boisses and Brev. If you are happy with a small resort St Foy is at 1550m and is both family orientated and an off piste meeca - but book early for the ski schools. That level will also give you a bit of flex if its a horrible low pressure week which effectively pushes you up the mountain altitude wise.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that chocksaway. Have always been a bit put of Val D'Isere by the fact I am a totally crap skier and like nothing better than motorway cruising Madeye-Smiley I probably should have said that in the OP. Sorry.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@robertsnerys, there's plenty of nice cruising skiing in the Espace Killy. Just download in a gondola rather than try to ski down. There's plenty of difficult skiing too - the EK really does have plenty of everything. The scary stories you hear are from people who will insist on skiing down on slopes which are difficult and/or horribly full of people, many of whom can't ski. Even the people who can ski are quite likely to be thumped by somebody who can't.

On the other hand, the view over Le Face from the gondola, late afternoon, can be entertaining......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But on yet another hand 1850 is quite high if you're bothered by the altitude. You could go to Courchevel 1650 which will almost certainly still have good snow, and with access to the higher areas of the 3V if necessary.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@robertsnerys, ….actually quite a common problem - we have 'altitude dreams' (intense, vivid, disturbing dreams) as an issue for guests at our chalet and that's only at 1100m. One answer may be to get accommodation in Brides Les Bains in the valley, and then get the 40min cable car - included in the lift pass - up to meribel. I know quite a few instructors who live in brides and teach in meribel, Hotels like the Altivert are great and within 100m of the lift. It starts early to get all the instructors up. Or stay in Bourg St Maurice in the valley at Les Arcs, and get the funicular up. A good low option in the Paradiski is Peisey-Vallandry - a beautiful village - the snow stays good there because of the aspect.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you thought about Scotland?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robertsnerys,
Depends a bit on how you plan your ski day with kids of that age and a little bit on what the weather is like, but there are a number of ski areas with bases around 1500m which are north facing whose nursery slope will usually be excellent in the morning but will get a bit soft in the afternoon. I have often skied at Easter in Serre Chevalier where Monetier could be an excellent place to ski plenty of cruisy runs in the area great nursery slopes but the afternoon will get soft low down and though there are excellent gentle runs at a decent altitude above the mid point taking the chair down is best to avoid afternoon slush most years.

Likewise I have been to Val Cenis which offers similar attractions though in a rather less extensive area.

If however the season carries on like this and low to mid altitude snow does not really materialise you could consider Les 2Alpes which is readily reachable from Lyon with good high altitude skiing some pleasant nursery slopes but a base station of around 1650M. If you are not keen on steeper slopes you would want to download to get back to the resort (which a lot of people do).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Saisies is usually good at Easter too, and the whole thing below 2009m but I tend not to recommend it for Easter, especially if people say they hate "sugary snow", which I really rather like!

What I dislike about Spring skiing is absolutely rock hard stuff first thing in the morning and the times when the snow gets incredibly slow and sticky - though the latter problem is ameliorated greatly by the use of Zardoz Notwax.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@robertsnerys, Arc 1800 is not north facing (think it faces west) and the snow was noticeably slushier there than other parts of Les Arcs during a mild week in April last season. Over the ridge in Arc 1950/Arc 2000 the snow was excellent and still ok to ski on at 5pm. However I realise that presents an altitude problem. If you were to stay in Arc 1800 and not like the idea of skiing the slush on the home run you would be able to take the Transarc bubble down from the Arc 1950/2000 ski area. The area above arc 1950/2000 contains a fair number of cruisy runs too.

Maybe Flaine would be another place to consider - north facing and village is at 1600.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow, thanks everyone. Lots to think about here.

Does anyone else get bewildered by all the options? I do ....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for Peisey Vallandry. I struggle with altitude and so far I've not any problems here
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How about Norway, loads of snow and very low.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like sleeping low too. Think outside the box and there are loads of options:

1) Take a car and sleep in the valley. This means driving up and down but pick your spot carefully and this shouldn't be a chore. Generally, the roads will be good at Easter and you'll also be able to pick and choose resorts.

2) Sleep in the valley with a gondola station. Many options listed in this recent thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2607890

Easter is a good time to ski. Don't fret about going particularly high - worry more over north-facing slopes. For the last few years we've been at Val Cenis at Easter and it's never been a problem.

@valais2, don't put the guy off Brides. It's only 21 minutes each way in the gondola and it starts ½ hour before the other lifts anyway. We stayed in Brides many times before we discovered the Maurienne Valley.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another option is Les Deux Alpes that is approx 1650 but has a large glacier making it quite a safe option for Easter.

Also if you are looking for children's clubs in the hotel, we went there wih Mark Warner last season the nursery slope should be ski out from there place. However it wasn't a great end to the season so they took the children higher up.
latest report
Åre in Sweden is another fantastic resort with the town being at 372m and the top only 1420m. Good late snow, family friendly picnic huts with microwaves free to use, and lots of runs of all standards.
ski holidays
Quote:

Åre in Sweden is another fantastic resort

But a slightly awkward drive from Lyon. wink
snow conditions
@RyanPeninger, go away.
ski holidays
Courchevel Le Praz 1300 metres and a choice of two fast lifts to get you right in the thick of it - sorted!!!
snow conditions
Thanks again everyone.

Funnily enough we considered Sweden and Norway but ruled them both out cos the kids' lessons are only for an hour and a half each day. Which doesn't give us much time to ski as a couple...

Plus, there is the severe problem of the cost of alcohol in Norway...

Off to check out the feasibility of Courchevel, Peisey, Flaine, LDA and Les Saises.

We are on a serious budget so have to carefully work out costs on spreadsheets of lift pass/ lesson/ transport options. I think Courchevel is probably out owing to the cost of the lift pass alone Shocked
latest report
@robertsnerys, you can't let this hold you back. I have suffered (and still do suffer from) altitude issues but it is not always directly proportional to altitude.

My advice:
Try to avoid stress days before departure
get a good sleep the night before you leave
drink LOADS of water once you get to resort, including during the night, even if you are demented going for toilet (this is critical)
don't get hammered first couple of nights
Take first few days skiing easy
avoid cable cars
consider bringing your favourite breakfast cereal from home so you'll have something appetising in morning
don't panic if it hits. Ot does get better every day
latest report
@robertsnerys, +1 for all of @peanuthead's advice, especially drinking plenty. Also try to avoid going too high on the first day, if you can - stick to the lower slopes, don't head up to the highest point in the resort and save that for later in the holiday. I used to suffer badly (often to the extent that all I could do in the first evening was go to bed with a large bottle of water and lots of medication - no food, no social) but by limiting my first day or two and drinking lots of water (can't emphasize how important that is) I can generally avoid this.
latest report
@robertsnerys,
Quote:

We are on a serious budget so have to carefully work out costs on spreadsheets of lift pass/ lesson/ transport options

I would definitely add Val Cenis to your list of resorts the lift pass is excellent value, as are many of the other Maurienne valley resorts.
ski holidays
Dimox works, but does have side effects and would be ott for your problem.
Much better sleep low, play high.
Be fit, avoid dehydration, take it easy in the pub.
A rule of thumb for acclimatisation in higher places is 500m per day.
latest report
Thanks again everyone. I will follow the advice given. Am not a massive drinker as we have two small children and looking after them with a hangover is really not good.

Have been having a look and I have to say Val Cenis looks very very attractive. It seems really cheap and the kids could have private lessons rather than a course, which would be good as the little one doesn't like being left without his sister. ...

Are there any views on which village would be best for a family in terms of convenience?
snow report
@robertsnerys, have you spoken to a proper doctor, rather than random internet strangers?

1,000m is not considered high altitude.
ski holidays
I'm fine at 1000, it's just when I sleep around 2000.
latest report
@robertsnerys,
Lanslevillard is better for the gentle skiing in my view.I have been twice at Easter once in a good snow year and once in a poor one, both times the nursery slopes were excellent in the morning but the extent of the skiing was less in the poor year and if its warm the village slopes will suffer as the day progresses whatever the depths however I would point out that this is also true for much higher resorts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@robertsnerys, Lanslevillard is probably your best bet. Several easy slopes right by the village and easy access to the bulk of the mountain. I'd suggest you avoid Termignon - even though we've stayed there several times. Nice little place but there's only one slope nearby and it's a trek to most of the slopes.

There's the odd picture of Val Cenis at Easter here and in previous reports:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110576

Ed: SNAP!
snow report
@robertsnerys, ah. Ok. Me too. snowHead
ski holidays
@robertsnerys, We went to Val Cenis two Easters ago and had a good week there. Lanslevillard is nice if you want to be in a village itself. However we stayed in Chalets de Flambeau which are very nice CGH MGM apartments at the foot of the piste between Lanslevillard/Lanslebourg. There is a lovely swimming pool at the residence that is long enough for proper swimming, steam rooms, saunas etc. The apartments are only a couple of years old and most have lovely mountain views. I'm trying to remember what the area is called - les champs maybe..there are a few other apartments in the same place - les alpages and the criterium. There is a chairlift and ski school meeting point next to the Chalets de flambeau residence and also a small Sherpa and a café or two. My kids were so happy swimming in the pool after skiing that we didn't feel we needed much more in the way of apres ski, although we did go to Lanslevillard for the odd meal out and bowling.

The reason I didn't recommend Val Cenis earlier in this thread is that when we went (end of march) the snow was really soft and sugary below 2000 metres. There is plenty of skiing above 2000 metres so you could ski the higher runs in the afternoon and just endure one run down on the soft stuff at the end of the day. As you had mentioned you couldn't stay at high altitude and didn't like skiing sugary snow it cut the possibilities for Easter skiing somewhat!
latest report
@robertsnerys, I just noticed your point about wanting to keep the costs down so obviously there are places a lot cheaper than chalets de flambeau in Val Cenis. Although one thing we have found with CGH residences is that the up front cost is high but there are no hidden charges - cleaning, wifi etc that you get in some of the cheaper apartments. You can also keep the apres ski costs down by just using the onsite pool. It is easy to ski back there for lunch and have lunch on the balcony in the sunshine.
snow conditions
Snowymum, in your opinion would those appts be a good bet for a family with a child who will be fairly new to skiing? He is just 4 and we really want to minimise anything that will put him off - e.g., having to trudge around in ski boots. He will (hopefully be able to snowplough by the time we go as he is going to have lessons at a fridge before we are off).
latest report
@robertsnerys, Yes they would suit as ski to the door on a green run. I am going out now so will send you a pm with more info this evening.
snow report
robertsnerys wrote:
Very annoyingly (given my love of skiing) I seem to be really prone to altitude effects and have major problems sleeping at anything over around 1900 m. I can generally cope with skiing higher up if we can return periodically to lower altitudes, and sleep at lower altitudes.

So... we usually go to lower resorts. However, our only available week this week is the pre-easter week and I'm a tad nervous about snow conditions (hate slushy sugary snow, had an accident on it once and it put me about a bit...)

I was thinking of Arc 1800 or somewhere like that. Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable resorts or other ways around the issue? It has to be somewhere within reasonable driving distance of Lyon. And to complicate things further we have two small children aged 4 and 6 so it needs to be somewhere suitable to their abilities as near-beginner skiers and somewhere without major trogs to the lifts/ ski school meeting place in the morning.

I did wonder about asking my doc if Diamox was an option but frankly GPs have enough to worry about without middle class dilemmas like this And also am already one other meds so it may be a no go anyway.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section - it seemed to fall between 'resort reports' and this one. Grateful for any feedback.

I would try diamox if GP happy to give you a trial of it. Its dirt cheap so it should'nt damage his/her budget.

A consultation about your altitude problem may well be light relief from the deluge of people who turn up in winter with a sniffle
snow conditions
Mmmm... I think you will struggle to meet all your requirements. You can stay in a low resort and have access to lots 2500m+ skiing but it will be the likes of Espace Killy, Paradiski, 3V and therefore cost ££££ for the lift pass.

I think you may have to live and work with your dislike of slushy snow. A smaller resort would be better with kids of that age anyway and will be more budgeted orientated. The good news IME young kids love the slush!
snow report
Robert.
Is Lyon where you are, or where you will fly into?

If you're going from the UK the answer is Norway.
For the alcohol problem, it's non-EU so you can buy a 1lt bottle of spirits cheaper than EU destinations. I buy Brandy and mix with tap water or berry juice.
snow report
@robertsnerys, just a thought, a chat with the doc might also turn up something else, I'm thinking mild undiagnosed asthma which migh have impacted on your base blood oxygen level.
snow report
Thanks folks.

Diamox... mmm. Might well do. And thats a good idea about getting generally checked over.

Yes going in to Lyon as we have other things to do there at tail end of the holiday.

PS I have one too many x chromosomes to be a Robert or a guy. NehNeh
latest report
Some climbers use Viagra in lower doses at high altitude, seems to help.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy