Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva or Cervinia for Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are considering Italy for Easter, what are your experiences of these two areas then? Or should we consider another area in Italy then?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For italy I would go Cervinia for snow reliability, especially this year.

But it really depends on what matters to you. Selva (and that area in general) is really good on keeping the snow going. We went in mid-March one year and it was sweltering yet we had lovely cruising on strips of impeccably-maintained snow which were surrounded by brown/ green vegetation. You could actually smell the gently heating frozen-over cowpats defrosting Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The places are very different in character. Cervinia is dominated by the majestic Matterhorn and, being at high altitude, gives a feel of very big mountain skiing. having said that, the skiing is, on the whole quite gentle and even the blacks not demanding. It can be a bit samey. There is the option of skiing over to Zermatt, which is great. Just make sure you can get back!

Selva, on the other hand, has much more range and variety. The World Cup run(Sasslong) is wonderful, if taxing, and you are within easy reach of a huge variety of experiences like the Sella Ronda, the Hidden Valley, Cortina (early start!), as well as Ortisei and all that area. The scenery is very beautiful in a less dramatic way than Cervinia. I doubt you will be short of snow. A nice choice to have to make. I like to go from place to place, so would prefer Selva. Your priorities might be different.

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I only have experience with Cervinia (although I will be in Selva next week- very excited about that Smile).

In my opinion, Cervinia is perfect for beginner to intermediate skiers. The pistes are well-groomed, wide and long, great for cruising. While Cervinia is quite large, there is not too much variety and very few black runs. The most exciting area is the descent to Valtournenche. which is both very long and very picturesque. If you are an advanced skier who wants some challenges at least occasionally, you will get bored in Cervinia after a couple of days. HOWEVER, you will also have access to Zermatt, which is FANTASTIC! Amazing scenery, variety of runs, and probably the most beautiful resort I have ever been to. Staying in Cervinia allows you to explore it without incurring the cost of lodging/dining in Switzerland. So that's a definite bonus. One thing to keep in mind is when it gets very windy, they close the lifts that link Cervinia to Zermatt, so it's not guaranteed that you'd be able to go there every day. Now, going back to Cervinia, the village is not particularly pleasing aesthetically, but it's perfectly adequate and not expensive. And the food is great!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually reading what Chris Bish says makes me change my mind. Selva is great for all the reasons he says. Scenery is just fab, food lovely, it's not expensive, and you can really get around.

I am also embarrassed to admit that I had altitude issue in Cervinia - stayed slightly up the mountain in a hotel there. No such issues on the sunny pastures of Selva Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have been to Zermatt a few years a go and really liked it, but out of the two Italian resorts we like the look of Selva more but have a concern about the snow in the first week of April and so were also considering Cervinia.

Our ski/board preference is for big area reds and blacks so would deffinately get the pass including Zermatt if we ended up there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Both are very good places to go to. If you have to book now go for Cervinia for the snowsure-ness. If you can leave it late go fo Selva, there's so much more variety.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cervinia is high but the slopes face the sun. I always go for aspect over altitude
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cameronphillips2000, but you do have glacier skiing and slopes at other aspects, particularly on the Zermatt side.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, all the good points, we are leaning towards Selva but just a worry about the snow. We don't have to book yet, I will leave it as late as possible.

Has anyone actually been to Selva in the first week of April that can report first hand experiences?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been to Selva in March and it is usually freeze-thaw conditions. However, I have been to Madonna di Campiglio ( the other side of the Brenner motorway in the Brenta Dolomites) in first week of April and we had a great week there, although slushy in the afternoons. Just depends on the weather at the time, I guess ...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've just booked Selva for 14th March; initially had excluded it as thought it was too late to go there but after struggling to come up with somewhere we wanted to go as much as back to Selva ( cervinia and tignes were our other safe snow options) we just decided to go for it and hope for OK snow. Failing that there's bombardinos and the Luiskeller! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy