Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva di Val Gardena- where to ski, what to do?

Poster: A snowHead
My friends and I will be in Selva the last week of January, and we are really excited to explore the area. We are obviously going to ski the Sella Ronda, and from what I understand skiing around Arabba is pretty great, but is there anything else that is a must for advanced skiers (we rarely venture off piste, however)? Any particular trails or ski areas? Mountain restaurants? Other activities?

Also, is it worth it to take a bus to some other ski resort in Dolomites while we are there, or will Selva give us enough to play with?

Thank you Smile.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@alenchic, Selva lies at the top of the Val Gardena valley, and apart from being directly on the Sella Ronda, Selva and the skiing areas around the other towns in the valley (St. Christina and Ortisei/St Ulrich) are well worth exploring. You'll want to do the SassLong Mens's World Cup downhill course with its famous "camel bumps" which ends down in St Christina. More info on the Val Gardena valley on this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2651025&highlight=longia#2651025

Also from Selva it's perfectly possible to do the "Hidden Valley" run and back in a day, more info on this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114371&highlight=longia&start=40
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@alenchic, Make sure you buy the full Dolomiti Superski pass. You will need it. It gives you access to all 12 of the ski areas. I will be amazed if you ski in more than 4 -or less than 4 come to that!

@Alastair Pink, has repeated more or less what I said in the other thread on the Dolomites. Do not miss the Hidden Valley (and its unique horse tow). There is plenty of info about the area on this board. Look forward to enjoying the most beautiful ski area I have ever seen.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There has been plenty written on here about the different areas around the Sella Ronda, you'll be blown away by the extent and variety of the skiing as well as the breathtaking views, some estimate 500kms of linked skiing in the 4 areas around the Sella Ronda.

Use the Sella Ronda to access quieter areas as the main circular route can get busy. High winds and other adverse weather can sometimes close the Ronda and prevent you leaving your home valley.

Good skiers might want to try these challenges: La Longia 12km run from Seceda to Ortisei, Saslong World Cup Run from Ciampinoi to S. Cristina, La Risa World Cup run above La Villa, the Hidden Valley of Armentarola which involves a taxi/minibus ride up to Passo Falzarego and a horse-tow on the way back, La Bellunese 12km run with huge vertical from the highest peak in the Dolomites 3300m Marmolada down to 1200m at Malga Ciapela, the run down the front face of the Sass Pordoi cablecar in good conditions.

Mountain Restaurants are a particular highlight, one on nearly every run and excellent food, memorable ones are:

Jimmys Hutte near Passo Gardena, Baita Daniel in the Seceda area, Rifugio Fredarola for pizza just as you drop from the top of the Sas Bece chair twd Arabba, Rifugio Scotoni in the Hidden Valley. Villa Frainela tea shop just across from the Dantercepies base station in Selva is great for homemade cakes in a pretty setting.

Great fun to be had on the toboggan run down through the Rasciesa forest above Ortisei, nice new funicular to service it too. Local Ice Hockey matches at the stadium in Selva.

Google it all.

In a week you will only scratch the surface of what the area has to offer. I'm jealous as another year is passing that I can't get back there. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All been said above really- if you can get a day in Cortina it might be worth it? Although there is more than enough to do in the main Sella Ronda area.

Some snowheads will be in Kronplatz on the PreBBWUW...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Worth a trip up the 3000m Sass Pordoi on a clear day even if the run down the Front face isn't open as the views are spectacular...check out the pics here...

http://181.224.152.208/~fassaski/sass-pordoi/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
English version... http://181.224.152.208/~fassaski/en/sass-pordoi/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sasslong is really good as is dantercepies. The skiing tends to be better just off the sella ronda and much less crowded so u get more done.

If there is a clear sky the scenery is amazing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all so much for recommendations! Very eager to try it all Smile. Hopefully there'll be snow Smile)).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking nice & snowy at the moment...here's a webcam of Colfosco that retains a daytime shot at night...

http://webcam.altabadia.org/cam/meteoeye3.jpg
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colfosco is one of my favourite spots. Nice restaurant at the top and some great views. Do not miss!

snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This trip report from the German Alpinforum with lots of photos that pre-dates the recent snowfalls highlights the impressive snowmaking facilities in the Dolomites, the majority of valley runs complete with artificial snow, which of course now is the base on which some nice fluffy white stuff has fallen, as per the webcams, covering the grassy hillsides right down to the villages with natural snow as well as the high mountain.

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=52503
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That is indeed impressive! I am relieved that by now they got some real snow too Smile. This is the first time we are traveling to Europe so early in the season- we normally come in March. However, I didn't really think that the last week of January was " early" so I didn't anticipate potential lack of snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the advice! I was about to start a new thread to ask exactly this. My girlfriend and I will be in Selva for the same week. From what I've read on here it sounds like we couldn't have chosen a better place to go skiing - I'm very excited! We're ambitious beginners, so we're trying to squeeze in as much as possible alongside lessons. Here's how I'm thinking of spending our time, weather permitting:

Days 1-3. Lessons in the AM, then skiing as many of the pistes in Selva as possible (and maybe nip over the hill to Corvara).
Day 4. Hidden valley then maybe the rest of the clockwise Sella Ronda circuit.
Day 5. Marmolada glacier and the anti-clockwise Sella Ronda circuit.
Day 6. TBD.

Let me know if there's anything else you think we should try to squeeze in. I'm sure we'll only scrape the surface. All the more reason to go back next year!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nijm, that would be very ambitious if you are complete beginners...have you skied before?
ski holidays
We both did a week in Val Thorens last year with lessons, then I did another 3 days in Zell Am See. Hopefully after 3 half days of lessons we'll be good enough to do the rest of it.
snow report
Days 4 and 5 are big days: I'd be more inclined to go down the valley to Seiser Alm, or, if going North do Alta Badia.
snow report
Dr Rock wrote:
Days 4 and 5 are big days: I'd be more inclined to go down the valley to Seiser Alm, or, if going North do Alta Badia.

Good suggestions by Dr Rock - 4 and 5 are big days. Not much time there to admire views, take photos or have a decent lunch stop.

I would suggest doing the Cinque Torri area and the Hidden Valley on one day. Taxi to Falzarego and go up the Lagazuoi cable car but hang a right just after the top (excellent red run) and come back down to the pass to link up to the Cinque Torri before going up the cable car again to do the Hidden Valley. You might then have enough time to explore the Pralongia plateau a bit more (you'll have done some of it to get to the taxi stop) before heading back to Selva. Still a big day but more flexible and most of it off the Sella Ronda so less likely to be crowded.

If you are doing the Marmolada, pick a sunny day (first time I went there we had a very good view of the inside of the clouds) and start early. If no sunny days then perhaps leave that one for your next visit - because you will be back!
snow report
Just to tag onto this thread with a quick question. Any suggestions on the best base to stay for 6 middle age blokes going in March. No kids in tow, so want it to be lively ish with great access to slopes. All of us are decent skiers but first time in Italy. Many thanks.
ski holidays
nijm wrote:
We both did a week in Val Thorens last year with lessons, then I did another 3 days in Zell Am See. Hopefully after 3 half days of lessons we'll be good enough to do the rest of it.
Ah - didn't notice this before my earlier reply. Your days 4 and 5 are too ambitious unless you are both young, sporty and quick learners. My suggestion for the Hidden Valley day would be pushing it but I'd definitely suggest leaving the Marmolada for another holiday. The long red down from the top will knacker you unless you are very fit and you'll still have a lot of skiing to do to get back to Selva.
ski holidays
@Arteta10, I'd suggest either Selva or Arabba, both directly on the Sella Ronda. Arabba is smaller though with a bit less lively apres ski than Selva. Are you going with a tour operator or DIY? If DIY then for Selva the most convenient airports are Innsbruck or Verona, for Arabba Venice is more convenient.
snow report
nijm wrote:

People all learn at different speeds, but I took some quick-learning second-weekers from Selva to the Hidden Valley and directly back again, we did struggle on the way back and caught the last chair up to Dantercepies just after it's posted closing time...phew!! And that's with someone who knew the way...picking your way between Corvara to the Armentarola bus-stop isn't totally straightforward. I doubt you'll have time to go the wrong way round the Sella Ronda on the way back.

Obviously you will gauge how quickly you're progressing, the run over the Dantercepies to Colfosco and back, maybe with a side-trip up Edelweiss valley would be good as a first excursion. The various red and black runs back down to Selva from the top of the Dantercepies are thigh-burners.

The chopped-up steep red pitch off the back of Ciampinoi would be a test of whether you could cope with the worst the Sella Ronda could throw at you.

The easier blue progresser terrain at Selva is up at Plan de Gralba and the Sella Pass, but you have to either do steep reds or catch a bus to get there.

The best way to the Marmolada is via the Sella Pass, Belvedere and Arabba...but it's a long, long way from Selva and back...probably almost like doing 2 Sella Rondas.

I remember doing the clockwise Sella Ronda with my mate on our third week...it took all day and we were knackered.

Have fun exploring...but don't get stuck in the wrong valley at the end of the day!! snowHead
ski holidays
Agree day 4 and 5 are big. I'd advise doing the Sella Ronda without diversions first to get an idea of timings.

Did Marmolada and hidden valley from Canazei last year and hidden valley was a very long day, admittedly not helped by snow conditions (lots) making it impossible for anyone I saw to carry enough speed on Pralongia to get up the other side of the dips! Marmolada was shorter for us (not diametrically opposite on the Sella Ronda) but found hanging around at altitude didn't help my style on the way down.

For the "harder" Sella Ronda make sure you can deal with daily bumps towards the end of the day. The first pitch down from Porta Vescovo is steep for a red and chops up during the day until at about 2.30 or so every bump is decorated with a person or bit of kit. Known as the graveyard to seasonaires...

I'm the weaker skier of me and OH at 4 weeks but ws generally happy on steep reds and pisted blacks (and end of day type bumps rather than seasonal bumps) before coming.

Wouldn't bother with Marmolada if weather not clear, the piste isn't that different to others available and it's all about the situation, so being able to see is fairly crucial!
latest report
@Arteta10, Selva is probably the only option if you want lively apres, but not quite on an Austrian scale, though Piz Seteur and its twice-a-week dancing girls are an interesting Italian take on it!! Canazei has a few lively spots too. Arabba is quiet but the best base to avoid crowds and access challenging skiing.
latest report
alenchic wrote:
That is indeed impressive! I am relieved that by now they got some real snow too Smile. This is the first time we are traveling to Europe so early in the season- we normally come in March. However, I didn't really think that the last week of January was " early" so I didn't anticipate potential lack of snow.

alenchic, let us know how you and your friends get on with your first visit to the Dolomites - I think you will be impressed! Very Happy
snow report
alenchic wrote:

The start of this season has been unusually mild across most of the Alps, it's usually white from late Nov onwards with most pistes complete with either natural or artificial (or both) in time for Xmas week. Hopefully you'll get a few more top-ups before you arrive.
latest report
Amazing there now. On Saturday the Fellas in our group were up on Ciampinoi at 8am for first tracks in 8" of powder which had fallen over night. For almost an hour we had the mountain virtually to ourselves in perfect viz. It was superb. The weather closed in soon after. Madeye-Smiley

All in all, another fantastic week in the VG valley. wink
ski holidays
I would forget the Hidden Valley and Marmolada, personally, if staying in Selva. It will be very rushed and not as enjoyable. Do the Sella Ronda to get an overview of the other areas, but otherwise why not spend your time exploring Val Gardena? I have been to the Dolomites 3 times now, but have still never got much further than St. Cristina on Selva side, as I have never stayed in that valley. You have the Seceda area, Ortesei and Seiser Alm on your doorstep, places that are hard to reach from other areas.

Save the Marmolada and Hidden Valley (and Cinque Torri, because that's even further) for when you go next time and stay in Arabba or Corvara side. Because you will Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alenchic

Just back from Selva last night. 3rd trip and will go again next year. Its fabulous and so beautiful. As you pass through COLFOSCO the hotel/restaurant Luianta next to the 36 chair is wonderful for lunch or coffee break. Great food - the biggest pizza Ive ever sen for 6.50 euros.

Don't be put off going to the Hidden Valley. We did it from Selva leaving 09.30 and got back at 2.30 which included an early lunch break at the bottom of Hiden Valley. We are good intermediate skiers. Same goes for Sella Ronda green or orange route - back at 2pm. For Hidden Valley head for the Las Vegas restaurant in Corvara then ski down the 11 blue taking care to TURN RIGHT half way down following the sign for ARMENTAROLA (the 9 blue is closed). This will bring you to the bus stop for the Hidden Valley. Beautiful snow over there.

Enjoy[/b]
snow report
The absolute tip top eatery in the area is here http://www.rifugiocomici.com/en/comici-mountain-lodge-val-gardena/1-0.html

Up Piz Sella cable car and you're looking at it to the left.

It now has the blingiest loos of any mountain hutte in the World!! Very Happy
snow report
Thanks for the advice folks all received and understood. Going to book last minute so prob be package.
ski holidays
Quote:

ski down the 11 blue taking care to TURN RIGHT half way down following the sign for ARMENTAROLA (the 9 blue is closed).

Blue 9 is shut?! Aww maan, that's one of my faves...

That right turn is very easy to miss....
latest report
Arteta10 wrote:
Thanks for the advice folks all received and understood. Going to book last minute so prob be package.

Good luck, not too many Brit TOs in Selva these days. Thankfully. wink

The Russians have found the place however. Confused
latest report
@deejaybee, thank you for such detailed directions! We'll definitely go to the Hidden Valley, it certainly sounds doable, and like your group we are good intermediate skiers, on the fast side Smile. And I am very much looking forward to Italian food!

@Alastair Pink, I will definitely report back Smile. My only experience skiing in Italy prior to this trip was Cervinia, and while it was certainly enjoyable, mostly due to proximity to Zermatt, it definitely lacked in charm. From what I understand Dolomites will have no such problem.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
Arteta10 wrote:

Good luck, not too many Brit TOs in Selva these days. Thankfully. wink

The Russians have found the place however. Confused

I notice Ski Total have pulled out of Arabba, just the Soldanella in Selva left. Crystal have just the Salvan and Neilson nothing. So it's mostly hotel packages which won't come cheap.

Were the Russians there this year?? I thought the problems with the Rubble...oops Rouble might have deterred them...but maybe they had already booked & paid...or the type that don't need to look at pricetags.
snow conditions
luigi wrote:

I notice Ski Total have pulled out of Arabba, just the Soldanella in Selva left. Crystal have just the Salvan and Neilson nothing.

The first time I skied based from Arabba was with Ski Beach Villas - no other Brit operator there then - next season they had been swallowed up by Neilson and it was a shambles in comparisom.
snow report
The major time waster on the longer days has always been navigational fails. Make sure you know where you're aiming for and agree with the rest of the group. Not zooming past any direction signs is a good plan. Although our detours were generally pleasant (apart from stoopid run which had about as much up as down, with relatively slow snow so even the pro looking types were having to side step - think it was on an unplanned loop of the Cherz sector) and no lifts were missed the stress was tedious.

Hidden Valley was tight partly due to us both making stupidly heavy weather of the optional black back down to Laguzoi ( highly recommended if not skiing like a numpty) and then getting sidetracked by the many photo opportunities and views on the way down. The horse tow isn't the quickest, then the way back from Amentarola was flattish (+ unplanned loop of Cherz).

It's definitely worth having the route (lift and village/sector names) on an accessible (and small) piece of paper or outside of piste map. The maps are a little unwieldy and minimising the faff time at decision points prevents impatient people heading off on a guess! Options best for the way back...
snow conditions
Quote:

The maps are a little unwieldy

If you're based in Arabba or Selva or Val di Fassa, then I recommend grabbing a Badia local map when you go in to the Corvara/San Cassiano/La Villa sector. That mass of mostly blue runs is almost impossible to decipher from the full Sella Ronda map. And sometimes following the signs at piste junctions can be confusing when it points both ways to the same place (esp. Corvara).
latest report
Good advice. Huge amounts of time can be wasted by bad navigation. Even though the signposting is pretty good.

snowHead
ski holidays
Yep, that was the culprit. Eventually worked out that some of the sectors are named on the signs as well and escaped the spiral/loop. Every base station I checked was out of maps. And as flat blues in slow conditions there's a definite speed limit. Far easier to make up time skiing the steeper runs being less wet than usual than when flat out tuck still gets nowhere fast.

That said too fast on the bumpy steep runs isn't that effective either as the out of control idiot who lost it, crashed and required medical assistance proved. He wasn't the fastest but was clearly the least in control.

Haven't decided whether or not to repeat the Hidden Valley this year (staying in Canazei again). Tempted by the Selva sector and some more of Arabba instead. Definitely not Marmolada as don't fancy the altitude at this point. Is Alpe di Suisi realistic as a trip from Canazei? And the long run down to Ortisei. Enjoyed Sasslong and Cir last year and need to try the Alba black (didn't fancy the conditions last time, too much snow, rubbish light so I bussed back from Pozza while OH skied back across and decided to give the black a miss due to mini avalanches, and an adventure diving for a misplaced ski after a double eject followed by double somersault in a hidden dip!)

Looking forward to a last holiday before it all becomes complicated snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy