Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Any Austrian recommendations for second or third week in March?

We would want a package from Scotland (so that mostly limits us to Crystal). Would be looking at getting flight and hotel (half board) for about £750.

We are intermediate skiers and like a fairly large ski area.

Like the look of Solden but packages seem far too expensive, same with Ishgl.

Is Austria just more expensive than France and Italy.

Obergurgl seems affordable but I just think the ski area will be far too small

Thanks

MCL
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you ever thought about booking independently. There are direct flights now with Jet2 to to Salzburg from Edinburgh. I've been a few times now to Haus Suzanne which is run by a fellow Snowhead - check it out at http://www.austrian-adventures.com. Endless ski areas to visit. You can ski a different resort each day. Good value for money and they are great hosts. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All the resorts below are great, I have also seen that the Crystal holidays are a lot more expensive this year by at least 100pp.

Mayrhofen
Schladders
Ischgl
St Anton
Lech
Gerlos
Zell am See
Soelden
Soll
Salbach
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd go for Mayrhofen as most of the skiing is pretty high, and it's a great resort! You can also go to the Hintertux glacier which is well worth doing on a sunny day as it's FABULOUS.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is a video of Da Hoff, don't know who these guys are, just some average punters making the best of the area. It will give you a good idea of what to expect there.

youtube.com/v/wde7uhl_2n8
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for mayrhofen . but dont go H/B . loads of places to eat out . cant recommend this place enough

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/search/ac.30 . stayed there a couple of years ago . fantastic.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There was a bunch of scots staying with us in St Anton when we went we skiworld. Try them. I'd recommend either Solden or Saalbach and found Austria cheaper than France but our trip to Solden cost alot due to the excessive drinking. But it was worth every penny!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Of the resorts kindly listed by JimboS I would recommend Ischgl or Soelden as these were probably the only two resorts which had snow up to a couple of weeks ago.
The latter is a bus ride from Obergurgl which allows a day trip to explore if you wish. Getting to either is fairly easy from Innsbruck using the Otztal bus company.
Ischgl is also easy to reach from Innsbruck, just get to the train station, hop on a train to Landeck, and then a bus ride to Ischgl. The ski area here allows you to ski over into Switzerland. there are other ski areas within a bus ride also.
It may seem quite daunting arranging your own trip, however you will have no one else to slow you down at the baggage reclaim or no hanging around waiting for a delayed flight before your coach transfer can leave the airport. The special prices tour operators get, are not really passed onto their customers, lift passes, ski hire and ski school prices to name a few.
Good luck!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for replies folks, will have a look into them Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MCL wrote:
We would want a package from Scotland (so that mostly limits us to Crystal). Would be looking at getting flight and hotel (half board) for about £750.

Inghams also fly from Edinburgh to Austria (Jet 2 scheduled to Salzburg and Austrian Airlines (charter) to Innsbruck). They often have good late deals if you can go with only a week or two's notice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saalbach is great if there is snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mayr, Soelden is looking the best resort I think- ski wise and possibly safer for March snow

We can't easily get to Innsbruck- have to change in Amsterdam- did that in September and was a v long day- also quite pricey flights (£394) from what I can see on Skyscanner.

We booked ourselves for a trip to the Dolomites so now more confident it is an option (also had a long wait in a Crystal transfer bus the other week before leaving Geneva - grr! )

Can get a flight to Munich with Easyjet for £96! Wow! And there seems to be transfer options

Now I need to work out who is definitely coming and convince all others a DIY trip is the way forward!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mayr, I doubt he'll find anything HB in Ischgl with Crystal for £750.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheapest Crystal deal from Scotland to Ischgl HB right now is £868, will probably drop to £200 less a couple of weeks before unless the flights are sold out.

£650 right now gets you the 4 * Strass in Da Hoff right next to the gondola.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

these were probably the only two resorts which had snow up to a couple of weeks ago.

even if that were true it would hardly be relevant to somebody planning a holiday in March.
snow report
Would definitely like to try Soelden.

Have now confirmed there are four of us so will be sat 14th March

Only problem now I have is one of the group is strongly against going to Austria or doing DIY! (didn't enjoy getting busses once in Mayrhofen!)

Whats the chances of getting a catered chalet of HB hotel for about £400 each- any pointers where to look would be great.

Or website with any apartments

Very Happy
ski holidays
MCL wrote:
Would definitely like to try Soelden.

Have now confirmed there are four of us so will be sat 14th March

Only problem now I have is one of the group is strongly against going to Austria or doing DIY! (didn't enjoy getting busses in Mayrhofen!)

Whats the chances of getting a catered chalet of HB hotel for about £400 each- any pointers where to look would be great.

Or website with any apartments

Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy