Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere swimming pool

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Val in a few weeks time and noticed that use of the swimming pool is included with the lift pass. Having had previous experience of French pools does anyone know the dress code? Do they insist on budgie smuggler style trunks or will they let shorts style ones in?

If it's speedos then I might just give it a miss. I don't think Val D'Isere (or the world) is ready for me in speedos. I'm not exactly Daniel Craig!!

Not been to Val before so getting quite excited. What would people recommend as 'must do' routes for an average intermediate?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swim trunks only. But if you refuse to go swimming just because you have to wear swimming kit, you're a fool - Val d'Isere has what's possibly the best pool in the alps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It doesn't matter what size and shape they are, just so long of they're made out of an elastane-type material.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went in my board shorts and they didn't moan. It's a great pool - especially if you have kids - but from what I remember you only get one f.o.c. visit with your lift pass and then you get a discount on other visits.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TommyJ wrote:
Not been to Val before so getting quite excited. What would people recommend as 'must do' routes for an average intermediate?

On-piste or off-piste? Val D'Isere or the full Espace Killy?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why don't they let you wear normal shorts?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The French are weird.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TommyJ wrote:

It remains my favourite resort - despite some serious competition from Saalbach. I LOVE the place.

I would say on your first day jump on the bus and head over the Fornet area. Jump on the Fornet cable car, then up on the Iseran bubble and ski down the little green called Cema. From there, take the Cascade chair and lap around on the runs on the Pissaillas glacier. They are marked red, but they are really very gentle and could all be blue. You will find the area wonderfully quiet with great snow.

After a few runs, head to the Leissieres Express chairlift (an interesting experience in itself as you will see!!) and over into the next valley. Here you will find a range of nice blues to play on. If you fancy a fun red, head up the Madeleine Express, then half way down the green cut left onto Arcelle. It's a wonderful long, undulating red. It ends in the beautiful Manchet Valley. Hop on the Manchet Express back up (the only life you can take), then you could either take the Piste L blue gully to the bottom, or head down Madeleine to the Lac chair and check out the Solaise sector. From here there is no easy way down. Plan/Piste M is a steep, quite challenging red (although wide) which narrows into a nasty bumpy section lower down (I really dislike this run!!). You can cut off to the right half way down onto the black Rhone Alps, which I always do as the snow is better and it's not that steep.

Either way, I reckon it'll be about lunchtime by then! In the afternoon, head up the Olympique gondola to Bellevarde, which will probably be busy. Head to the right down the blue Diebold and aim for the Tomeusses chairlift. That will take you up to the point called Toviere, from where you can head down Piste H into Tignes. Go up the Tichot Chair, then head to the Grattalu chair, and get on (it's always cold!). You will want to have a few goes down Grattalu, it's a fabulous blue which was made for fast carving.

Then from the top of the Grattalu chair, cut off down Lac and Anenome blues into Le Lac, then jump on the new Toviere bubble back up to the Toviere spot. Then go down Edelwiess (KEEP RIGHT), down past the snow park, and go left at the bottom.

Depending on the timing, halfway down you may start to hear some loud music. If so, go and investigate. You will ski over a small hill and see a large crowd of people having a great time in La Folie Douce. It's arguably the best apres party in the Alps, so go and join in and have a couple of (very expensive) beers. Then if you can extricate yourself, have a blast down the OK run. If you have some stamina left, do a few laps of the runs in La Daille, then jump on the bus back to the town centre and head to the hot new apres spot called Cocorico near the nursery slopes.

For the rest of the week, make sure you go up to the top of the glacier in Tignes, and have a go at the black Face de Bellevarde if you're up for a challenge. Do it at about 11am for the best conditions, NOT at 4.30. It's a fabulous run and you will (hopefully) get a sense of achievement if you ski it. The experts on here dismiss it as crap, boring and easy, but I don't think so - and I love it.

Have fun in the EK, it's amazing!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want the pool to yourself,
Get a Mars Bar, get it nice and warm and mould it a bit, then let it sink to the bottom.

Oh, and make sure the S hasn't worn off your Speedos
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timbobaggins, PMSL Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Reminds me of a sign I saw the once:

'' Welcome to the OOL - notice there is no P in POOL, please keep it that way!!'' Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FullyTucked, @madlondoner, apparently it's about filtration systems and clean shorts. Just get over yourselves, nobody is interested in your willies. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
@FullyTucked, @madlondoner, apparently it's about filtration systems and clean shorts. Just get over yourselves, nobody is interested in your willies. rolling eyes

This is sadly true Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FullyTucked, Just pay somebody and smile Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Swim trunks only. But if you refuse to go swimming just because you have to wear swimming kit, you're a fool - Val d'Isere has what's possibly the best pool in the alps.

Not been myself - but beento the new pool in Chatel and ValDi'zzle would be have to be doing well to beat it
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have been: it is a nice pool but the changing area could have done with being a bit warmer! Those planning to use their ski lift free entry like we did should note that the free entry is only valid as long as the ski pass is. Therefore, when we went there on our last day in resort prior to being picked up, as the pass had run out the day before, we weren't eligible for the free swim.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny - I think you missed the Grand Huit chair your circuit wink

I'd recommend trying to do the 6 points - (1) top of Pissaillas glacier; (2) Fornet village; (3) La Daille village; (4) top of Grande Motte glacier; (5) the Eye of the Needle (Aiguille Percee): (6) Les Brevieres village
snow report
^ definitely, but might be a bit much all in the first day!! Forgot about Brevs (how could I?). I highly recommend Sache for braver intermediates then lunch at the L'Armailly at the bottom.

Isn't Grand Huit the really slow one?
snow report
@HoneyBunny, Slowish (but not as bad as Cugnai, Marais and a few others) and its got a spiffing new ramp at the loading area which can be raised to make it easier for the rugrats to board.
ski holidays
@chocksaway mmm I know there are still a few slow ones (Lac probably being the worst! Lucky it's short).

I'm more disappointed that @TommyJ hasn't come back to thank me for my excellent itinerary Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny - I have just cut and pasted your excellent itinerary into a separate document for my first day on March 9th Very Happy
snow conditions
HoneyBunny wrote:
^ definitely, but might be a bit much all in the first day!! Forgot about Brevs (how could I?). I highly recommend Sache for braver intermediates then lunch at the L'Armailly at the bottom.

Isn't Grand Huit the really slow one?

Grand Huit is slow, but to get from Grattalu to le Lac it is up that, or a bit of a poling session.
ski holidays
@Skikitten1972, Aww thanks! Just add in that you have to go up Grand Huit to get back to Le Lac (my mistake)

@Kenzie, oooh of course, I forgot that - thank you!
latest report
Sorry for not getting back. Been away with limited wifi

Thanks for the tips and especially the itinery. Been pouring over piste maps. Looks like there might be more snow even.

Thanks and sorry again
latest report
I've been in the Val pool many times (in sports shorts!) and have never seen any dress code enforcement, I think they are happy as long as your bits are covered, it's a family friendly facility after all.
snow conditions
@TommyJ,

Enjoy. Amazing resort.

Make the most of the EK and the last thing on your mind will be a few lengths of a swimming pool at end of day's skiing. Take advice above and head for La Folie Douce instead!!

You can swim away to your heart's content when you're back in Yorkshire!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy