Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blisters

Poster: A snowHead
Brain is blank. What's that product that's good when you've developed a blister on a long climb?

Available in Boots, but name escapes me! Flying tomorrow ....

Ta!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Compeed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Zero_G, thank you! Brain clearly going into meltdown.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
on a related topic, I always like to carry a roll of micropore tape. It is smooth and doesn't stick to your socks. Even with compeed it is sometimes helpful to wind some tape around your foot and over the plaster to keep it in place / reduce friction
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 14-01-15 14:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zammo wrote:
Brain is blank. What's that product that's good when you've developed a blister on a long climb
Ta!

If you're well-hard it's called.....
..... Duct Tape Razz
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I often get blisters on the outsides of my feet on longer tours, but sticking ducktape on before the tour is normally enough to prevent them. Apparnetly pop socks underneath your ski socks work too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, @geoffers, Duct Tape? No way am I as hard as you old mountain goats.

Not a really long tour, but expect to be doing multiple laps on the last 1/3 so that repeated "loosed, schlep, tighten, ski" seems to lead to sore patches so the Compeed can be helpful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used to suffer from blisters really bad, so much so that if I had a weeks touring coming up I used to go up on the South Downs a month prior in my ski touring boots to hike up and down to get a blister do that by the time I went touring the area would be hard scaly skin.

I too have tried silk socks under woolen socks and that did not work.

I do find the warmer the temps and the sweatier the feet the more liable I am to blister.

So here is the absolute fix for a blister, though does depend on how soon you can get to it and what state it is in!

The ideal situation is that you finish the day and the blister you have has not broken, and the skin is still in tact with the globule of liquid below the skin.

Then if you have a needle, go in to the healthy skin about 2-3mm inserting the needle so that it comes up into the blister. Take the needle out and then the liquid will come out of the hole made by the needle.

The strategy here is not to break the skin that is part of the blister. You will then find that this skin will bond back to the foot far better.

Dry the foot well and keep in the open air. The a good half hour prior to going to bed put the compeed on and make sure it is bonded well.

So by the morning you have a compeed that is well and truly stuck to you, you should then be able to carry on.

If you feel a bliser coming whilst hiking / touring and you think it might well be getting to a serious stage, then try and do the above if you're able to and again try and make sure the foot is really dry before applying the compeed.

If the blister has burst then you're fecked, talcom powder will help dry it but does depend how deep etc it gets.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 14-01-15 17:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone worrying about Blisters or Ski-Boots rubbing - Get some of this stuff and wrap your feet in it...it never peels away like plasters and is completely waterproof (even in the shower) works a treat for me!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004X62XLG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If you feel a bliser coming whilst hiking / touring and you think it might well be getting to a serious stage, then try and do the above if you're able to and again try and make sure the foot is really dry before applying the compeed.

Boring but the best advice is to stop and compeed/strap up as soon as you feel a hot spot - don't wait for a blister. Difficult if you are all excited about getting on but you'll have plenty of time to regret it later!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zammo wrote:
@clarky999, @geoffers, Duct Tape? No way am I as hard as you old mountain goats.

Not a really long tour, but expect to be doing multiple laps on the last 1/3 so that repeated "loosed, schlep, tighten, ski" seems to lead to sore patches so the Compeed can be helpful.

Haha I meant before you get the blister - before the tour even starts.

Not keen on ducktape direclty on a blister myself!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Spike107 Absolutely. Zinc Oxide tape in clean dry feet as a preventative. Completely covered, even between toes, prevention is better than any cure. As said, stays on for days if necessary and will not come off in shower, leave it on until you get home.

If you do not prep properly and get a blister, and for the short term to get you home, take the skin off the blister, wash it with iodine (it will sting like hell for a few seconds), then cover with zinc oxide.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Letting wounds and broken blisters dry out is an old wives tale. Flesh needs to be kept sterile and moist (so sealed with a dressing) in order to produce new cells and heal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yup, I had a bad one from trying for a speedy tour time; with compeeds (almost like a hydrocolloid style dressing) applied every three days it is almost healed 11 days later. Sterile and moist is the way, if you have ever had an infected wound treated that will be what they will do. Even if they throw maggots in Toofy Grin
snow report
Did short tour yesterday about 2 hours.Got blisters just below ankles on both feet.Blamed boots but having read this topic I start to think it is common.
snow report
Next week I'll be venturing out on skins for the first time. Never realised that blisters were a common problem! What's the most common spot on the foot for blisters when touring?
latest report
I always get them on the inside of my heels. For short tours a pair of pop socks under the touring socks is fine. For over an hour some have had amazing success with decent ski compression socks.

I found that taping up my weak points with white bandage tape (or zinc oxide) and then using liner socks under touring socks works fine. The only reason I got the blisters last time was that I was on a heavy free ride set up (approx 6 kgs per foot) and was pushing to break a 2 hr time so was really going for it. I was on piste though lol.
snow report
Compeed also do a chap stick style thing that reduces friction on your skin. Might prevent the plasters from sticking though.
snow conditions
Scarpa, yep, the stick is basically silicon, so very slippery. Def can't be used in conjunction with the plasters.
ski holidays
Heels are a favourite but toes where nails rub are another as EU can be pretty free to move about in ski boots. Chopping the little bugs down is usually a good move. I tend to find as long as I have well fitting boots I don't get much in the way of blisters.
ski holidays
This was my heel on the 6th of Jan, the tape had moved exposing the skin. It only occurred during the last half hour of the tour when I was racing against the clock. Almost totally gone now, who says diabetics are slow to heal Laughing

ski holidays
Zero_G wrote:
Scarpa, yep, the stick is basically silicon, so very slippery. Def can't be used in conjunction with the plasters.

Bet it will be good along with Zardoz for helping the inner ski boot slide into the shell too (my Redsters need the inner entering and exiting on the foot).
snow conditions
Scarpa, sweet baby cheeses, that's some blister, mister Shocked

The only time I got bad blisters was when I hired B3 boots for ice climbing and we slogged across a glacier for 2 hrs beforehand. It was a painful day.
ski holidays
Pah! Call that a blister? Here's Mrs A before she got here new boots:

ski holidays
altis, at what point are blisters considered to be craters Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
@altis, Wow, that is some blister Shocked
ski holidays
+1 for using zinc tape for prevention and all those who comment on it above.

Used it before for variety of bodily areas and activities including the odd yomp around pictureques army exercise areas.

Prevention definitely better than treatment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
I often get blisters on the outsides of my feet on longer tours, but sticking ducktape on before the tour is normally enough to prevent them. Apparnetly pop socks underneath your ski socks work too.

When I played football I used to tape up my big toes and base of my foot (On the ball joint) with Masking tape before a game. The tape on the toes also helps to prevent rippin toenails off.

I am lucky my ripped off toenails have grown back in many times (unusual).

All it does is allow the thing rubbing against you from doing it and making you swell up.

PS my mate Dougie ( sorry, Professor Dougie Happy ) developed compeed, if it is the Johnson and Johnson developed kit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy