Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

At what point is it not even worth going skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
So barely any snow in resorts near Geneva. Was planning to go around the 10th Feb for 10 - 14 days but not sure it is even worth booking. Would you still go for the other elements such as apres ski, mountain air, views etc... or are snow conditions number one consideration.

Wondering what everyone thinks? Last two years was spoiled with waist deep powder.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on what you want but there are other places than the Alps you can go to in Europe that have been nice and snowy. Norway in particular seems to be doing really well for example. When the snow is crap it's a hint to explore! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It'll be fine whatever.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're booked into Sauze d'Oulx for half term. I'm still relaxed - plenty of time for conditions to improve. Some friends are there now and say it's not ideal but still skiable in parts.

You could leave it till last minute, but as it's half term most places likely to be busy....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

So barely any snow in resorts near Geneva. Was planning to go around the 10th Feb for 10 - 14 days but not sure it is even worth booking.

Oh FFS. There is snow now (my resort, quite low, has 44 out of 60 pistes open). It's not great, certainly, but 10 February is some weather-systems away. Many places will see snow in the next 5 days or so.

However, as pointed out, it will be very busy as 7 Feb onwards is French school hols and 14 - 21 doubles up with UK half term and Paris holidays. Probably best to go somewhere else, regardless of snow conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

So barely any snow in resorts near Geneva. Was planning to go around the 10th Feb for 10 - 14 days but not sure it is even worth booking.

Oh FFS.

Laughing

If this is the only week you can go, and haven't booked anything and you've your choice of resorts go for it.

For me it would only be worth not going if I'd have more fun back at home which would be never..... I.e. a bad day in the mountains is always better than being home and at work Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice one. That is what I think as well 'a bad day in the mountains is always better than being home and at work'.

My mate has a chalet so usually go to the same place. I think even with no snow it is still a nice break. It is a holiday at the end of the day. Was just wondering what other people think? I know that it is a long way away and anything can happen.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last two years had zero vis, waist deep powder and barely skied a single piste. Might be nice to have a more chilled out holiday for a change.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
but there's snow Wink

answer to the original question.... May Smile (then go mountain walking, before the lifts re-open for mountainbiking in June/July)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@levster777, echoing Pan's FFS,

Oh FFS.

Are you looking for hardcore off piste? If you are, a. You aren't as hard core as you think you are to be asking about conditions here or, b. You aren't.

Are you looking for a nice ski holiday with good on piste conditions and a bit of sunny skies?

In which case, well, here we are. It's your oyster.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@levster777, I do wonder if you're cut out for this sport...

Have you tried golf? Or bowls?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
levster777 wrote:
Last two years had... waist deep powder

Are you a Leprechaun or do you just have short legs Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@levster777, I suppose when the body is completely wrecked and the piggy bank completely empty and the mountains have eroded to the sea then I might not bother.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+ another for FFS

Just go and ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FFS I think you all really misunderstood my comment. I was asking for more of an opinion on what most people thought and do they go for mainly skiing or other elements. What is more important for most people. Anyway never mind.
snow report
Can I delete this post Smile))
snow conditions
i go for skiing. apres I can live without.
have even nearly considered taking a mountainbike to the dolomites the year it was 8degC for weeks, but strangely, the place was white.
only if it is too windy for the lifts to run do I not ski (probably about 5 days since 1997 in my case) or far too much snow that they need to dig the lifts out first (2 days, both last year).
snow conditions
Quote:

Oh FFS.

Are you looking for hardcore off piste? If you are, a. You aren't as hard core as you think you are to be asking about conditions here or, b. You aren't.

What is that about? Where do you randomly get this idea from. Just because I said I had some nice conditions the last two years? Please elaborate, I'm interested.
ski holidays
@levster777, yes I would go. Any skiing is better than no skiing. I like the air, the views, the feel, the company etc too so yes for me I would go.

A while to go yet for you and hopefully more snow will come.
snow report
Thanks Sophie that is what I feel as well.
snow report
@levster777, I suspect there is some ambiguous wording in your post that has been misconstrued. I suspect your comment about last two seasons spoiled by waist deep powder was actually meant to say that you had been spoilt by having such conditions. Probably all a bit of a misunderstanding.

To answer your question, I just love the mountains and would go anyway and enjoy whatever was available. Mind you as Andy pointed out above we missed some skiing due to too much snow last year. Had to spend a day in the bar to drown the sorrows. Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

I suspect there is some ambiguous wording in your post that has been misconstrued. I suspect your comment about last two seasons spoiled by waist deep powder was actually meant to say that you had been spoilt by having such conditions. Probably all a bit of a misunderstanding.

Ahhh yes I see. Good point. lol....
latest report
QUOTE. "It's just a holiday at the end of the day"......sorry mate it's a sport at the end of the day!!!!
snow conditions
there is not any kind of point....
a bad day on a mountain is always better than a good day in office

you will always find someplace to make a few turns...and even a couple of them will make you happy
snow report
Quote:

My mate has a chalet so usually go to the same place. I think even with no snow it is still a nice break. It is a holiday at the end of the day. Was just wondering what other people think? I know that it is a long way away and anything can happen.

Quote:

QUOTE. "It's just a holiday at the end of the day"......sorry mate it's a sport at the end of the day!!!!

Is that a joke?
snow report
levster777 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Is that a joke?

Not a joke ... Please refer to you post timed at 20:50.

Less than 1 hr ago.
snow report
levster777 wrote:
Nice one. That is what I think as well 'a bad day in the mountains is always better than being home and at work'.

Please see above.
snow conditions
@levster777, fly to Salzburg instead. Ange Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just figured out what FFS means
latest report
Quote:
@peanuthead

I've just figured out what FFS means

Oh FFS... rolling eyes
ski holidays
@flangesax,

Why would you want to do that. Austria has even less snow than Scotland wink
ski holidays
and it's been widely reported that there's just grass in France. Time for a seaside holiday, maybe?
snow report
In answer to the original question:-
When you're dead.
snow report
Folks, go easy for gawds sakes the op is asking a legitimate question looking for reasonable opinions, for me it's when the hassle and costs don't justify the probability of of good skiing. In persistent white outs, or wind, our dangerous crap skiing, I'd prefer to be swimming and running in Ireland, but that's just my 2 & a1/2 pierce worth.... each to their own!! Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

Folks, go easy for gawds sakes the op is asking a legitimate question looking for reasonable opinions,

Thanks. You seemed to understand what I was getting at.
ski holidays
Only time it's not worth going, is if it's summer time in the Northern Hemi. In which case, go way South!!!
snow report
+1. Very Happy
snow report
Looking at various forecasts I can't see more than 1 or 2 feet of new snow falling in next week or two. 3 feet tops. So idI'd say @levster777, no point going this year
ski holidays
I only go to ski, but love the scenery, but if I`m booked and the conditions are bad, I am still going. Not interested in walking, eating out, dog sledding etc. There seems to be plenty of snow where I`m going in France, with more on the way this week. Like someone has mentioned, a holiday can be ruined by whiteouts; that's why I no longer invest in 200 euro + ski passes, especially on family holidays. I just go and make the most of the money I have spent !
For the majority of ski holiday makers, I would question if it is a sport: a sport is something you are fit at, do regularly, and do not mix with alcohol; how many runners/cyclists/footballers stop half way and think " oh, I`ll have a couple with lunch" , after doing squats a few times a day in the preceding weeks ?
ski holidays
meh wrote:
Depends on what you want but there are other places than the Alps you can go to in Europe that have been nice and snowy. Norway in particular seems to be doing really well for example. When the snow is crap it's a hint to explore! Very Happy

8th Feb, guess where we booked, 'for a change'....so relieved and excited.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy