Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain lurgy is there a cure ?

Poster: A snowHead
Always amazed at how people living in the mountains seem to get so ill.

It's not just young seasonaires burning the candle at both ends (and some smoking) but super fit mountain guides and the like.

I know that back in the UK there has been a lot of man flu around and sinusitis as well.

I don't usually get colds but this year a week or so after I came out it started, not bad enough to lay me low, and the worst was Xmas Eve driving back down to Turin when one ear remained blocked and my sinuses hurt.

The cold then went on to my chest I ended up with the cough, which at times was really bad especially outside when exercising and then coming to a stop (the exercise that is).

Did think I'd got over the worst of it, and yesterday opted for a cycle over skiing and once I returned home I was sneezing like mad and nose continually dribbling. Had to go back to Turin this morning and fortunately ears were ok but still sneezing.

Have come across numerous people and many have had it far worse, been on anti biotics for sinusitis and the like.

A way back an old very experienced GP advised me that when going away on holiday be sure to turn the mattress over and if at all possible take your own pillow, as obviously the bed is full of other people's germs ?

I do have a theory that the more exercise you do (especially in the cold air) and making the lungs work hard then that is the culprit to pro longing the cough / cold cycle. Where people maybe not exerting themselves so much tend to get over it faster, n'est pas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:

I do have a theory that the more exercise you do (especially in the cold air) and making the lungs work hard then that is the culprit to pro longing the cough / cold cycle. Where people maybe not exerting themselves so much tend to get over it faster, n'est pas?

Is it not common sense that putting extra strain on your body prolongs the recovery process Puzzled

This "lurgy" has done the rounds everywhere, affecting all sorts of people. I got it mildly… but then you would probably call me a couch potato wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Call upon spirits to scare it away
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steroid injection?

wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best way I have found of catching something nasty is to go to a snowdome in late April after doing a full winter away.

I feel that my body has less spare capacity to deal with germs when I'm really fit.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fisherman's Friends and Rule 5
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jägermeister! (Well it tastes just like Veno's cough mixture anyway so must be good for you Toofy Grin )
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I haven't been ill since I quit working with school groups about seven seasons ago.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I haven't been ill since I quit working with school groups about seven seasons ago.

There might be a correlation there, although "correlation does not imply causation". Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Im guessing its because theres no Lemsip wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, recent research suggests that cold air in your airways makes them more susceptible to passing viruses into your system.

I can easily believe (as an asthmatic) that cold air may irritate airways.

I had my usual pre-winter cold in October and ended up with inflamed but not infected lungs, and a persistent cough for 5 weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

There might be a correlation there, although "correlation does not imply causation". Toofy Grin

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/correlation.png

It's certainly plausible that you'll meet bugs you haven't met before when you encounter strangers from all over the place on a skiing holiday. Especially in bars, restaurants and chalets.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 13-01-15 13:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Shimmy Alcott, stuffing paracetamol is hardly going to prevent anyone getting a cold.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Steroid injection?

wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Probably way too late for you but for me Vick's First Defence really seems to work if you start taking it as soon as you feel the inkling of a cold coming (for me that's a sore throat). I take it with me on holiday and haven't had a full blown cold for a couple of years now.

I think public transport and aircraft are some of the worst places to catch viruses.
snow report
@queen bodecia, same here though i have now been about 14 months without a sniffle, must be the 40 smokes and 6 pints of Guinness a day, with a nice single malt before bed.
ski holidays
@ansta1, Vick's First Defence claims to work by 'trapping' the virus germs in place and stopping them from moving further into your respiratory system. Whether this has some factual scientific basis or I have been sucked in by marketing hype, I really don't know, but if it doesn't work, I have been remarkably lucky over the last couple of years. I don't smoke and I haven't drunk any alcohol since early November.
ski holidays
@ansta1, +1 for the single malt before bed - my theory is that the strong alcohol kills off any throat bugs. wink
snow report
At the first sign of even a sneeze I get 3 or 4 Baroccas inside me and i usually dont get colds.
Theyre basically super strength vitamin c tablets.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
@Shimmy Alcott, stuffing paracetamol is hardly going to prevent anyone getting a cold.

I think Shimmy's reference to Lemsip was really a reference to a certain other activity that has been ascribed concomitance with Lemsip here on this forum. wink
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, indeedy. Im also guessing if you can ski all the time you'd be less inclined to sit in the house doing the other Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rub lemsip on your feet before bed....or was it vaporub, I can't remember but seriously I find echinacea helps alot with me.
latest report
It's a Southern thing - Us hardy Northerners don't suffer.
latest report
It's just an act. Hard up Northerners like Frosty the Snowman can't afford Lemsip. Either that or they're too tight to part with their money Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@musher, I did actually consider buying Sainsburys own brand as I did succumb to the dreaded lurgy this Christmas. I even splashed out on Strepsils...dont think Ive ever bought them before! The cough is still lingering Sad
ski holidays
It's funny, but I've cut right down on the whisky before bed this year, and I went to Hemel fridge where there were lots of small pink things all over the place, result? I've now got a streaming cold! I'm trying to apply rule 5, well I'm drinking more whisky anyway cos as we all know whisky kills all known germs. rolling eyes
snow report
2planks wrote:
rub lemsip on your feet before bed....or was it vaporub, I can't remember but seriously I find echinacea helps alot with me.

Vaporub! Socks over the top. Sounds odd but is actually brilliant.
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Jägermeister! (Well it tastes just like Veno's cough mixture anyway so must be good for you Toofy Grin )

If I recall correctly, it started life as a medicine. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two seasons ago, I was at the peak of fitness after a week in the Alpbachtal.

Then EasyJet Innsbruck to Gatwick, flight full of coughing and spluttering. Result: stinking cold and filthy cough that I couldn't shift for months. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
musher wrote:
It's just an act. Hard up Northerners like Frosty the Snowman can't afford Lemsip. Either that or they're too tight to part with their money Toofy Grin

Puzzled We have Lemsip for when we have really bad 'flu! And if it gets this bad:-

http://youtube.com/v/Hk5wScFGCjk

we may even go as far as opening a sachet, adding hot water & drinking it. wink
snow report
My kid just started daycare last week so now I'm propped up at home ill. Mad
latest report
@Weathercam, i wonder if your "mountain lurgy" is really any different from the standard "winter lurgy" so common this time of year.
And passing on bugs must be helped by packed gondolas/cable cars and packed sweaty bars.

Another possibility is increased susceptibility to bugs due to Subclinical High-altitude Pulmonary Oedema.
I realise that you don't probably spend a lot to time at 3905m, but Mountain Sickness can affect people at lower atltitude - i remember a colleague who had to be taken down from Belle Plagne (2050m).
latest report
High dose vit c is always a winner
ski holidays
A really good way to make sure your cold really gets to you is to go diving. A nice little cold in your nose will be blown thru your whole respiratory tract. Sorted.
ski holidays
Depends whether your lurgy is real lurgy or pretend lurgy. Pretend lurgy (glorified cold) is viral so not a lot you can do except boost your immune system through rest, isolation and alcohol avoidance.

For real lurgy (bacterial) with nice bronchial type symptoms on the chest I highly recommend Azithromycin if you can get it. Prescription only in most countries and normally used to treat pneumonia and stomach ulcers. Take a 3 day course at the beginning of the season and you'll never get real lurgy IME. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I always find a good spicy curry really helps. I'm sure I've read that it is supposed to help, but I actually discovered it by chance when I was about 14 and was suffering badly from tonsillitis and was sick of consuming nothing but lucozade and ice cream - one bowl of my granny's super spicy curry seemed to burn off all the bugs overnight.
ski holidays
@miranda, I always crave spicy food/soups when I have a cold
snow report
I find best way is too stay clear of dirty skiers rolling eyes Toofy Grin Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
@miranda, it's the capsicum in the chillies, well known to boost the immune system and considered to have anti-bacterial properties. India has one of the lowest stomach cancer rates in the world and the credit is usually given to the high quantities of chilli/cayenne capsicum in their diet.
ski holidays
In which case my toilet bowl is pretty much guaranteed to be free from cancer, as I eat chillies pretty much every day of the week and they never seem to hang around. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy