Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which skins have the best grip

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

What is peoples opinion on what skins have the best grip?

Basically i have gone from a big ski and touring ski quiver to now having the volkl one with dynafits as i've had enough of taking two skis everywhere. But i used my old skins which were a bit too narrow, this was a mistake as i bought the skis in the summer so didnt cross my mind, but it was very slippy going up but with crampons it was ok, still not great.
So i am going to get new skins so i have the right size but i wondered what everyone thinks will have the best grip I have always used the Black Diamond Ascension. If one skin is slightly grippier than that i would prefer it as i will have to use crampons less.

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the problem is only that the skins are too narrow, but are otherwise fine, then you could try something similar to the below - basically cut down the middle and get a strip of some appropriate material (sail cloth in this case) stitched into the gap. Would save £100+???

http://skookumsailrepair.com/?page_id=138

Re skins grip and crampon use - the two aren't really connected in my mind. Would you want to totally trust avoiding having a one way trip to the bottom of the mountain on your back bottom to the difference in grip levels between two probably very similar products? Personally, if I think I might need crampons, they go on...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Back bottom! Ha! Those interweb Gremlins... rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thats a great idea but think i would rather have new ones and have the extra bit of surface area in the middle as its a rocker ski the surface area is quite low anyway, hence why i wondered which skin would have the best grip between the brands. I will always carry the crampons now as i know its never gunna be a mega grippy touring ski due to the rocker. If i will need crampons i would always put them on at the bottom but i needed them to go up a tour with no kick turns last week i shouldnt need crampons for that.

cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's a test in German. Steigeingenschaft = Grip (1 is best).
http://www.mpsports.at/download/01_060_TEST.PDF

Colltex CT40, Contour easy fix and a couple from high trail get top marks for grip.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@martinpearce31, Fair enough!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks thats quite interesting to see weird thing is they say colltex has best grip but everything on net says nylon is better grip even on colltex website it says there mixed skins are better grip
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's not much difference in grip between brands of skin IMHO, the difference is in the attachment method and glue used. Black diamond, colltex, g3 are all good, personally I don't like montane I find they fray very quickly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My Kohla skins grip better than the G3 Alpinist skins but the G3's slide/glide better.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Usually the better the grip the poorer the slide. BD ascension has a better grip but a poorer slide whilst the converse is true for their glidelite product. As always there is a trade off. I think the difference is noticeable and personally prefer glidelites. Only use crampons on hard snow in dodgy places.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grip is often lost when ice / snow sticks to the bottom of the skin. I find that getting skinned up first and then leaving the skins to cool down outside the car while I get the rest of my kit sorted out helps. Stops warm skins melting snow which shortly after freezes up. Colltex also do an impregnating water repellent spray that helps prevent skins icing up.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ok cheers for help

not to do with icing up as was good touring conditions for the ascent no sticky snow think i will end up going with black diamond or colltex, colltex seem very pricey here in uk.

thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@martinpearce31,

In the test I linked to the "Abfahrts-Gleitwert" is the glide distance. Black Diamond has only 5m (shortest distance in the test). IMHO other skins climb just as well but glide far better than the BD's. e.g. Colltex

"Feuchtigkeitsaufnahme" = water Absorption and the Black Diamonds come also out very high too = heavy when wet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, nice link. I wonder why they did not include glidelite from bd. Testing of predominantly tutonic brands makes me wonder about validity of their findings particularly as they are comparing apples with pears ie mohair and synthetic. I am sure the ins and outs of the test are in the text but i dont read german. On the surface of it it appears when the time comes I should try Colltex.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would prefer colltex or kohla there not so easy to get in uk, and where have them are pricey
ski holidays
@PP,
It's not just about brand name. e.g. Some touring skis come with skins (e.g. Völkl) and although they are from a reputable manufacturer IMHO they are not comparable to top quality skins. I think comparing mohair / synthectic is fair enough as I want to see how all types of skins perform and then make a choice.

@martinpearce31,
If paying circa €50 more for a set of skins saves me just one day of bad touring (slipping, falling behind and too knackered for the descent) then they have paid for themselves.
Plus better quality skins tend to last longer.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/all/c-skins/f/

http://www.sport-conrad.com/tourenfelle___skifelle/9/

If you let me know which brands you can get hold of other than BD I could have a scan on the internet for feedback / reviews.
I like the Kohla skins in th test above and a ski touring mate has a pair of very old but well used high Quality colltex skins which are still going strong.
ski holidays
Here's a test for the Black Diamond Glidelite Mohair Mix STS. It's in German but basically the tester was very impressed.
http://blog.bergzeit.de/27389/testberichte/skifelle-im-test-black-diamond-glidelite-mohair-mix-sts

Kohla & High Trail Evotec cam out better in this test though.
http://www.testberichte.de/a/skitourenfell/magazin/bergsteiger-1-2012/299441.html
ski holidays
good point about the bad day touring. just finding them 130mm wide is not so easy. http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/38494/2/1/5/446/8/154/6/4/i/ these are only ones off those two sites. anyone had experience with these?
snow conditions
Not got those specific skins but have Kohla skins which are nice. The G3 Alpinist skins also come in that width and scored well in the test DB linked too.
snow report
FWIW I have these and they definitely come in a 130mm width.

http://www.kohla.at/en/produkte/vacuum-base.html?produktgruppe=4&produktuntergruppe=24
snow conditions
meh wrote:
FWIW I have these and they definitely come in a 130mm width.

http://www.kohla.at/en/produkte/vacuum-base.html?produktgruppe=4&produktuntergruppe=24

How does the vacuum base perform? I've heard mixed reviews about non-glue based skins. Know of people who have tried them but in certain conditions (high humidity, very cold etc) had problems although maybe the technology has moved on.
snow report
I've had zero complaints but have only put about ten days on them. Definitely seem to stay cleaner and have had zero issues with stick in winter or spring conditions.
ski holidays
Is there a general recommendation for skins ? (Occasional use, day tours.) 105mm or less.
snow report
Whichever is available really. G3 have the best skin cutting tool.
snow report
I have the G3 mohair mix skins, good glide / stick ratio and yes, the cutting tool is brilliant. Use wax cleaner to get rid of residue and dip it in water while cutting.

i also just bought the Atomic mohair multi fit rocker skins for my fat skis but haven't used them as of yet.
snow report
Some more skin info here -
http://www.backcountry.com/climbing-skins
latest report
ordered the kohla skins cheers guys
snow report
Cheers all
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy