Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave Skiers Lodge Snowboarding groups

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend and I are planning a selfish long weekend snowboarding in La Grave this season to finally put an end to the yearly "we really should get ourselves to La Grave" conversation. We've swotted up on the various threads on Snowheads and been trawling around prepping ourselves for what lies ahead.

After seeing the reviews, we've been in touch with the guys at Skiers Lodge and it seems there is availability at the end of Feb including a guide for 3 days. However, when looking at the small print we notice that they don't guarantee that snowboarders will get the standard rate, because groups may be smaller. Has anyone had experience of this? How likely is it that we'll be stuck paying a lot more if other's don't book for the same time? I'm guessing we will be in the minority in this place!

Second question, given the altitude and aspect of the area, is there any general wisdom on best times to be heading there (yes it will depend on seasonal snow conditions)? We are quite flexible and would be happy to delay until late season if conditions permit.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been there several times and have been the only snowboarder in the lodge. Our gang was big enough so we had our own guide.

it's an issue for the skier groups because depending on the route, snowboarders can slow things down, especially on traverse over to St Christophe. Be prepared if you end up in essentially a private group and pay that rate.

Anytime is good. March brings spring conditions - especially at the resorts nearby which is a lot of fun with a thoughtful guide that plans well with the Suns aspect.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was the only snowboarder in the entire lodge when I spent a week there by myself and it wasn't an issue. I ended up in the top ski group and didn't have much trouble keeping up with them with traverses.

If you are the only snowboarder in the group, it is best to go first or second with each section each time. Once you go to the last place, it is really hard to keep up because the front of the group have rested by the time you have caught up to them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think it very much depends on your level of snow boarding expertise.

Me and a mate rocked up the original Chaumine back in 97!

Pelle arranged for us to be in a separate group with a young guide who came with us also on a snowboard.

After the morning we then ended up for lunch at P2 where many of the other groups were and Pelle had a chat with our guide and we saw various nods and then in the afternoon four or five Brit skiers joined us or we joined them, and we've been skiing together on and off ever since way back then.

The young guide has become a good friend over the years, in fact I bumped into his wife yesterday as I was cycling up Lautaret as she'd been out ski touring near Galibier.

So yes it should work for you.

As for snow, that is a million dollar question at the moment, LG need an awful lot of the stuff, so best now to leave it late as possible, March can be very good!

However the great thing about Skiers Lodge is that if conditions are shite on La Meije they will go out of their way via road trips to find the best available.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice folks. Had a good chat with the guys at Skiers Lodge and they've pointed us towards Band of Boarders as a good snowboard specific guiding company with a good rate on small groups. So we've opted for 21/22 March staying at Skiers Lodge, and riding with BoB.

If anyone is in the area at the time, let us know as we'll be looking for a few 'easy' warm up laps somewhere on the 20th.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy