Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where the hell to go next week ??? Alpe d'huez looks ok ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been trawling the snow forecasts, finding promising reports of big falls only to have these cruelly disappear the next day.. driving me crazy..

Had 3 Vallees or LaPlagne in mind, great forecast yesterday and good deals on offer but now seem to have a lot less new snow coming !

Alpe d'huez looks as good as anywhere for new snow end of week and seems to have reasonable snow now !

Anyone just back, or there now to give a report ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you've got a choice you'd be mad to think about anywhere but Austria, I mean the Salzburgerland has already got fantastic conditions all over not to mention the 25+cm snow forecast for Saturday onwards....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wePowder seems to think something big is on the way. I'd wait a few days and see what happens before deciding.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup tbh I was thinking Arlberg as well too - if anyone has a choice to make certainly for the next few weeks I'd be recommending Austria. There does seem to be a blindness to anywhere but France/Switzerland occasionally on here and definitely in the press. (Hides behind sofa)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cynically booked Dolomites for 2 weeks time - only looking for piste skiing and the snow making and scenery is amazing. Happy enough on ice having started on a glacier...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2Alpes will be better than Alpe d'Huez, if you're looking at this area - more/better base on higher/north facing slopes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There does seem to be a blindness to anywhere but France/Switzerland occasionally on here

That might sometimes be true of France but it's definitely not true of Switzerland which (apart from Verbier maybe) gets remarkably little attention. And there have been lots of recommendations for Italy in recent weeks and (since the snow started falling properly) Austria.

Places with lots of snow cannons haven't necessarily been better than anyone else recently, as so much of the time it's been too hot for blowing snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IMHO Alpes D'Huez looks very not OK. As @AthersT says Austria (or Cervinia) main decent options at the moment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow forecast up and down like a yoyo still,

Looking at those three French resorts as I had found stupid cheap deals,

going to keep an eye on things today and hope I can still get booked somewhere, Austria may be favourite now !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scarbski wrote:
Snow forecast up and down like a yoyo still,

Looking at those three French resorts as I had found stupid cheap deals,

these places might be getting desperate. Locals simply win't bother in these conditions and I know of some US friends who cancelled planned ski trip here.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

There does seem to be a blindness to anywhere but France/Switzerland occasionally on here

That might sometimes be true of France but it's definitely not true of Switzerland which (apart from Verbier maybe) gets remarkably little attention. And there have been lots of recommendations for Italy in recent weeks and (since the snow started falling properly) Austria.

Places with lots of snow cannons haven't necessarily been better than anyone else recently, as so much of the time it's been too hot for blowing snow.

I'm probably a little wrong about Switzerland, not about France though. It is frusrating to see negative reports about the Alps as a whole having a poor season when other areas are doing great. Southern Germany and Austria mainly from Innsbruck eastwards have been doing really well from Christmas onwards. Cannons and the low temps have helped but it snowed for four days straight while I was there. With maybe 25cms in the village at approx 700m. I guess this year so far it has paid to be further east/north.

I guess what I mean really is that we all know that France has some of the best slopes and choice of resorts but now when conditions are mostly poor, why not try somewhere different with better conditions, fantastic accommodation standards and in many cases significantly cheaper.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@scarbski, if you want to book right away in France you really need to aim for high altitude. Probably L2A, if there are some good deals, is a reasonable bet (plenty of on-the-spot reports to read here). BUT, remember there might be a good reason for stupid cheap deals.....

There are better options. Though we have seen few on-the-spot reports from Italy recently and I think the mild and mainly dry weather has been similar down there. Certainly there was precious little snow to be seen from the motorway when I drove down Fréjus/Turin last week and it was warm, warm, warm.

The freshest snow looks like being in Austria and there are plenty of Snowheads scattered round in Austria to give first hand reports.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FWIW though a lad I know is a chef for rocketski in Venosc/L2A and they're virtually giving trips away at the min. Talking flights, accom, all food, and free ski hire for £149 was the deal on Jan 5th.

Lol. Conditions are yeah very dodgy...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AthersT, I saw that one - cheaper than staying at home! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AthersT wrote:
FWIW though a lad I know is a chef for rocketski in Venosc/L2A and they're virtually giving trips away at the min. Talking flights, accom, all food, and free ski hire for £149 was the deal on Jan 5th.

Lol. Conditions are yeah very dodgy...

All the ones Im finding are still 450 - 550, If I end up gong to France I want to pay something like this.

My problem is looking at Austria there only seems to be anything available in realy small family type resorts. Does anyone know of anywhere to get cheap deals to Austria but for a decent sized resort?
ski holidays
@medlington, family type resorts? Name them. Best way to get a deal in Austria is to use the resort website and do accommodation searches and requests on there. I got an apartment in Zell am See NY week for 350 euro by doing that.
ski holidays
AthersT wrote:
@medlington, family type resorts? Name them. Best way to get a deal in Austria is to use the resort website and do accommodation searches and requests on there. I got an apartment in Zell am See NY week for 350 euro by doing that.

Im meaning little ones like Maria Alm and Fiberbrun etc. I keep reading that there is some good off piste to be had at them but a little worried about the actual size of the ski areas. the group Im going with is a complete mix, Im good my misses only had 1 week and the rest are somewhere in the middle, we would like a bit of apres.

I have found some that I thought were acceptable in Zell ( I like zell, been a couple of times) only problem is that theyre self catering and 2 of the group are insisting on half board or catered so they dont run out of money.

I guess my prob is fussy mates
snow report
@medlington, haha maybe. In that area though you have so much choice. Stay at Maria Alm or Fieberbrunn then you can go to places like Saalbach, Zell, Kaprun plus many more within sort of 30km on the same lift pass which is a few euros extra. There is a really good bus service between them also. Or just go to Zell and make them eat in a few nights. Tbh zell isn't expensive for food anyway, at most we spent 20 euro (normally 15ish) each on mains + pudding and a drink. For the price difference between HB and self catering you could be better off defo not worse. Fussy friends are the worst lol. wink
latest report
AthersT wrote:
@medlington, haha maybe. In that area though you have so much choice. Stay at Maria Alm or Fieberbrunn then you can go to places like Saalbach, Zell, Kaprun plus many more within sort of 30km on the same lift pass which is a few euros extra. There is a really good bus service between them also. Or just go to Zell and make them eat in a few nights. Tbh zell isn't expensive for food anyway, at most we spent 20 euro (normally 15ish) each on mains + pudding and a drink. For the price difference between HB and self catering you could be better off defo not worse. Fussy friends are the worst lol. wink

Yeah thats exactly what I thought but they seem to think they will go mad and spend about £100 each per day, they have only ever been to the big French resorts in the past so I can see why they think it will be pricey but I cant see why they think it will be that much. I told them theres a McDaonalds to in Zell if they realy do get skint but theyre not keen on it. I bet we end up going to a resort Id rather not just to get half board and then the food will be rubbish and well end up eating out all the time anyway.
ski holidays
@medlington, I spent about £300 in a week including eating on the piste and out at night plus 4 nights of drinking inc NYE. The OH spent extra cos she went Paragliding with her sister. You have to try to convince them. Maybe try Kaprun too that struck me as another good place to stay.
ski holidays
I'm not even bothering driving over to to Alpe D'Huez drom L2A tomorrow as planned!
snow report
We're heading to ADH on Sunday................looks like some snow this weekand much lower temperatures.................fingers crossed
snow conditions
Go east where it's colder, at least there is cold ground snow cannon snow will settle on, preferably at 2000m+
snow conditions
http://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/schneewerte/
ski holidays
ADH certainly looks like getting more snow than other French resorts at the moment. @martyngb, Hope you have a great week.

I have just booked StAnton , leaving Sunday!! forecasting a good dump over the weekend, just perfect for next week Smile
£450 all in for catered chalet,(SkiTotal) not a bad deal but no doubt things will get even cheaper later in week.
Still a room left btw ..
snow report
@scarbski, Thanks, have a great time in St Anton, we booked the flights ages ago and found an appt that would do Sunday to Sunday so been watching the webcams with a feeling of doom. Looking better now! Only need pistes to be ok, very much intermediates.
snow conditions
medlington wrote:
AthersT wrote:

Im meaning little ones like Maria Alm and Fiberbrun etc. I keep reading that there is some good off piste to be had at them but a little worried about the actual size of the ski areas. the group Im going with is a complete mix, Im good my misses only had 1 week and the rest are somewhere in the middle, we would like a bit of apres.

I have found some that I thought were acceptable in Zell ( I like zell, been a couple of times) only problem is that theyre self catering and 2 of the group are insisting on half board or catered so they dont run out of money.

I guess my prob is fussy mates

Maria Alm and the rest of the Hochkonig links up well and I think really stands comparison against some of the big French Resorts. That's even without driving/bussing out to any of the non-linked Ski Amade resorts. It's drivable in a day at a pinch, the skiing is excellent, the food on the slopes hearty, and you won't feel you've been mugged and left penniless at the end of the week as you do in France- and we nearly fell over when we found out extra children after two (we've got four) got free lift passes! We stayed in Hinterthall and Mulbach and although nightlife isn't wild there are bars and it's not just lederhosen and dirndl's- although nothing wrong with that!
We used to only look at skiing the French blockbuster resorts but for the last 7-8 years we've been to Austria, Italy, and French Pyrennees (Resorts around Les Angles- but you do need transport to get between resorts there) and have had brilliant trips and can't think why we'd want to go back.
snow report
@Doccam, people take a lot of persuading to try something new, sometimes! Partly because of daft generalisations like a week in "France" will leave you feeling
Quote:

you've been mugged and left penniless

The folk who insist on going to "France" (and indeed the people who moan about how terrible "France" is) generally only know half a dozen resorts and wouldn't dream of going to any of the other hundreds....... wink And wouldn't go anywhere in Austria other than St Anton or Mayrhofen.

The message that there are other resorts out there, beyond the ones the British TOs bus people to in their thousands, only sinks in very, very, gradually. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
@Doccam, people take a lot of persuading to try something new, sometimes! Partly because of daft generalisations like a week in "France" will leave you feeling
Quote:

you've been mugged and left penniless

The folk who insist on going to "France" (and indeed the people who moan about how terrible "France" is) generally only know half a dozen resorts and wouldn't dream of going to any of the other hundreds....... wink And wouldn't go anywhere in Austria other than St Anton or Mayrhofen.

The message that there are other resorts out there, beyond the ones the British TOs bus people to in their thousands, only sinks in very, very, gradually. wink

Maybe best it doesn't sink in at all! Leaves more for those of us willing to wander the Alps, and find all those hidden gems. wink
snow report
Pam W- quite right I was being lazy and generalizing about "France" when of course I meant the blockbuster resorts - sorry.
I think we're saying the same thing ie there are other places to go beyond the TOs brochures. We've travelled independently now for years and saved literally thousands of £s.
Toadman agreed- but Snowheads is for spreading info on the best places isn't it Puzzled
Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy