Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling from Munich to Scheffau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm travelling to Scheffau from Munich soon and wondered if I should bother getting the motorway pass for driving in Austria as I'm only on the road for a few miles before exiting to the Skiwelt?

I've also read a few comments online regarding traffic on Sundays evenings travelling back to Munich airport. If anyone can give any advice on this please.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can avoid the short section of A12 by coming off the A93 at Kierfersfelden and picking up the road into Kufstein (drive into Kiefersfelden then turn left and drive through the centre of the small town. The route to Kufstein and then on to Söll/Scheffau is clearly sign posted along this route. You must come off there as that is your last chance, otherwise you need a Vignette for the section from the border to the Kufstein-Süd turn off where you pick up the B173 from Kufstein to Söll.

Depending on snow conditions and the time of your flight, Sundays can be bad for returning past Munich. Lots of people from Oberbayern (the region from Ingolstadt southwards to the mountains) use the Wilder Kaiser area as their day trip area, so between 16.30 onwards the road down to Kufstein fills up pretty quickly as do the A93 and the A8 towards Munich. So far this season it has not been too bad, but that can change as quickly as the snow conditions change.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you @Samerberg Sue

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 13-01-15 14:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This isn't the answer to the question you've asked as such, but I've done Munich airport to the Skiwelt area many times and I always get the train to Kufstein and taxi from there. From Munich you can be in Scheffau in a couple of hours without any worries about traffic and it's also very cheap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tim M,
How is that not an answer to the original question?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@musher, @Tim M, by far the best answer in my opinion! I would not bother with a car for a week in Ski Welt when it is so cheap and easy to get the train and bus/taxi!

Bayern tickets (railway - http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/offers/national/regional/regional-offers-overview.shtml) take you to and from Kufstein and include the S-Bahn from Munich to the airport. bus or taxi to and from resort depending on the timings is relatively cheap and cheerful! If travelling at the weekend you may have to buy a Schönes Wochenende ticket though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've already booked car hire for both my trips to Scheffau this winter, if I go back next season I'll look into the train but as my second trip is with the family I believe the car would be more convenient with my 2 young daughters.

Do the police check that you've purchased a Vignette on the motorway between the boarder and Kufstein-Sud @Samerberg Sue?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rikib,
Quote:
Do the police check that you've purchased a Vignette on the motorway between the boarder and Kufstein-Sud @Samerberg Sue?
Yes they do, because obviously a lot of people try to get through without buying the vignette. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rikib, They are frequently parked before the bridge that marks the border and the ASFINAG have you off and fined (on the spot payment) at the Kufstein-Nord where they have an extra lane for any delinquents. It is definitely NOT worth risking it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy