Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'isere - can't choose La Daille or Centre Ville - does the bus get busy in peak weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at booking our accommodation for New Year next year and have found 2 apartments that would suit us one in La Daille, one right at the Rond Point in the centre.

As our kids will be going to ski school I think the Rond Point one would be more convenient but the one at La Daille which is ski-in ski-out looks MUCH nicer and is cheaper - so my question is: will catching the bus in the morning during that busy week be a total bun fight or will it be worth it to get the nicer accommodation?

This is only our second year of having to go in school hols so haven't quite got my head around how busy everything is - always found the bus system in Val easy and stress free. So any first hand experience gratefully received.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like La Daille as a base because you have the funicular to get you quickly up the mountain in the morning, which usually has far smaller queues than the lifts from the main village, and from there you right in the middle of the ski area and so can easily head in either direction. From memory the funicular also opens quite early so if you and your children are already reasonable skiers and you have to get to the main village for lessons there's a chance you could ski there. Everything (including the bus) is likely to be busy that week, but I'm sure you'd get a place if you left enough time - they are quite frequent. I'd also check if you can get lessons starting in La Daille.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you - It's only ESF lessons from La Daille and I think we are going to go with NewGen - just checked and the Funival opens at 8.45 but I can imagine that all getting a bit sweaty trying to get up and pack down to Rond Point for 9am - we are a last minute type family rather than an early type family despite my best efforts!! But as you say if we left enough time we would be able to get the bus, even if we didn't get on the first one that came along.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Skikitten1972. The first Funival (8.45am) up from La Daille wouldn't give anywhere near enough time to get to Val D by 9am, so wouldn't be an option. Early lessons at Val D means that La Daille apartment adds a lot more time pressure on your busy morning schedule, maybe 25-30 minutes less to get ready each morning. If OK with that, then La Daille does have advantages. Quieter, closer links to Tignes, easier (though not always easy) pistes down to valley, compared with Val D centre. Personally though, the attraction of a very short walk or ski to the lesson meeting point would be massive. Oh yes, and much easier to dash back to a nearby apartment to collect that vital bit of kit someone may have forgotten in the rush! NewGen for lessons sounds like a good call to me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did like staying in La Daille, the runs home are always better than the ones into Val and the Follie is just nice red home too. We didnt find getting up early enough to get the beginners of the group on the bus to Val for their lessons too much of a chore either.
I'd check about where the esf lessons really start, I seem to remember specifically booking for La Daille but when we got there were told they only started from Val proper.
Never stayed in Val tho so cant comment which is better.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have stayed in La Daille at Christmas 5 years ago, when my kids were small, and we found the bus fine; from memory, we had to walk less than 100m, and the buses came every 5 mins.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Skikitten1972, IME the morning ski-buses from La Daille to Val Centre are not really too busy, because most people staying in La Daille head straight for the Funival or Daille gondola in the morning, so you'll most likely get a seat before the bus fills up as it passes through the resort toward the Rond Point des Pistes; it's the return afternoon journey in the opposite direction that's generally more of a scrum.

Which apartments are you considering? The Residence Bellecote is really the only ski-in/ski-out apartment block at La Daille, all its neighbouring blocks require a further short stoll in/out; and all others in the area are located across the main road.
Most apartments around the Rond Point are just a short stroll from the slopes next to the bus stops - with primary ski lifts nearby - but it's worth noting that's the Rond Point area is also a lot more noisy than La Daille in the evenings/night.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Skikitten1972, could the kids do afternoon ski school, giving you a chance to get up the funicular in the mornings?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all your replies - I don't know the exact name of the apartment block - its on Owners Direct has great reviews and says it is situated on the Bellevarde slopes. I am certainly starting to lean towards the La Daille option based on these replies. Couldn't do afternoon ski school as we have a little one as well and want her to do lessons at lunch time - timings all work well with the New Gen option. But skiing back down to La Daille is a bonus as I remember the runs back to Rond Point being busy and hairy in non busy weeks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
La Daille is first pick up for Train Rouge, so you'll get on without a problem. Getting off on the other hand.... If you are meeting (or can ski down) from Rond Point you'll be fine, disembarking before that stop (i.e to walk up to the nursery area) can be a real bunfight.

On balance, I'd go for La Daille, as you'll have an undisturbed night's sleep down there!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

But skiing back down to La Daille

that famous "green" run.... wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love to be in the town centre s it's near all the action, but as I imagine 'action' isn't really a priority for you I think you'll be quite happy in La Daille. I once stayed at the Toviere (just over the road from the Rose Blanche) when it was a Mark Warner hotel and found it very convenient for skiing.

Even now I tend to end every day at La Daille as I dislike an icy, bumpy Face at 4pm!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seems like La Daille it is then! although now I am getting cold feet about how busy it is going to be at New year - surely all the resorts are busy? I was sat in that traffic jam with everyone else on the 27th!! 3 valleys was busy but bearable - will Val be worse? Would we be better in Les Arcs I am now wondering ….. too much choice not enough time…..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy