Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lucky escape!

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/GT1CwdDpnXs

http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/avalanche-foglietta-north-january-5th-2015-ste-foy-tarentaise

Worth watching if you are considering riding off piste.

I say lucky but really this incident illustrates that if you are riding with experienced partners, who are appropriately equipped and know what they are doing your chances of survival are maximized. I am sure that the two who were buried would not have survived had they not been wearing beacons. Watch out, stay safe and remember transceiver, probe and shovel.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not wishing to detract from @PP, but this one has been running in the Val and St Foy threads for a while. Still wise words from @PP, and if you go to Henrys U tube channel you can view a discussion that was held tonight on the incident.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, did not realize this is old news wink , however probably more peeps can learn from this incident being posted in The Piste forum then on the 'local' threads.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I for one am glad to see it here. I don't read the local threads referred to and this deserves a much wider audience.

I can't really see why anyone would have a problem with posting it here. Yes, it's good to know that there's another thread where there's already been some discussion on it, but that could quite easily be done without being critical about it.

Still, I'm sure Chocksaway wasn't really trying to be critical. Probably just a bad choice of words.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not such a lucky escape given the consequences.

I don't know the terrain at all but is there a reason they stopped behind the small shelf literally a couple of turns down rather than skiing the face?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sad it says 'this video is private' ????? any ideas how i get on to it??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Me too. Cannot seem to find a way around it.

In the meantime, some pretty footage here:
http://youtube.com/v/B0RWLxOFGLY
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
iskar wrote:
Sad it says 'this video is private' ????? any ideas how i get on to it??

I viewed it OK on Sunday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@meh, that very point was raised (and answered) by offpisteskiing in his blog here:
http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/hindsight-bias-in-avalanche-incidents.html

Normal times, I think it would be a reasonable place to stop. The small lump above the standees would direct any skier triggered avalanche away from them. However, things are not normal at the moment. What little snow we've had has been blown about a lot with lots of wind slab on north-ish facing slopes. Once triggered, it seems they set the whole mountain side in motion - I think you could see plates moving right down in the valley.

At least they've taken out the weak layer for everybody else!

BTW, the video is now private and can't be viewed, even on HAT.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@altis, cheers!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@meh, it's a pretty big face with a few features to catch people out - not really something you could ski in one pitch unless the whole group knew it really well
edit - just seen the offpisteskiing blog which answers your question
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pretty annoying not being able to view the vid, even when i login to henrys website so its a HAT problem i guess.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's been set to private on YouTube. The video itself is on break.com and a bunch of other sites.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am not surprised that the access to this video has been restricted. The comments, as offpisteskiing notes on his blog are way off the mark and clearly made by people with little insight into decision making process. It makes one wonder what these people do in their professional lives that is so clear cut and where correct solutions to all problems are evident from the start. Or maybe they are just not in a position to make any significant decisions for themselves beyond when to flip the burger. Either way clueless arm chair commentary has now denied general public the opportunity to observe/learn the many things that were done well on the day including transceivers/shovels/probes, staying calm as Luke (i presume is his name) did and keeping an eye on his mates cought in the slide. The sounbtrack itself, with clearly audible moment of the fracture starting, is invaluable and that knwoldge/experience may give you the extra half second to realise and react if you get cought out.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/QVr_FghYmgY#t=894
snow conditions
@PP, Same shite happens on the French Ski Touring forum from my limited comprehension of French, although did have someone confirming what I thought the points were that were being made from those sat in their arm chairs after some poor soul was killed up near the Galibier just up the road from us in a slide on New Years Eve, they were very experienced and with a guide.
ski holidays
This is the internet. It'd be more surprising if there weren't silly comments. Very Happy
ski holidays
Even the video davidof linked to is now private.

The avalanche video and discussion has been made into a 19-minute paid-for product that is available here:

from
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fogliettaavalanche

It's $2.50 for 30 days' access or $100 unlimited.

Quote:
Live video of a massive accidentally triggered avalance. This was recorded on the North Face of the Foglietta near Ste Foy in the Tarentaise. The video is followed by an analysis and discussion led by Henry Schniewind and involving one of the members of the group who were caught by this avalanche.

This product is designed to highlight some critical lessons that can be drawn from a major avalanche accident. No-one was killed fortunately, but two people were buried and several were injured.

This video was initially available for free. But we had many remarks that constituted a personal attack on the victims involved, so we were forced to withdraw the video from free distribution. Our intention was not to create a public spectacle, but to provide an opportunity to learn from the accident.

By adding a small payment this will restrict viewing to people who are serious about learning rather than just seeking to criticise. These payments go to support the work of HAT in bringing the safety message to as many people as possible and preventing firther accidents

This video is not only shocking to look at, but it offers some really good education for all of us. Here are some facts and observations below - please feel free to comment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy