Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Taster - ski lesson? Chill Factore

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I had a ski-taster at the Chill Factore the other day, ahead of my trip next month. I really enjoyed it! Wasn't sure what to expect given the reviews and okay, perhaps 10-ish people were too many given it cost £30 for the adults for the 50 minutes (don't know what it costs for juniors) as there was of a lot of 'taking it in turns' so yes, price was a little high.

However, I feel a bit more confident after that. I can put the ski's on and off (!!!), walk side-ways up a slope, sort of get in the position where I don't slide down the hill whilst facing down hill - once I made the 'triangle' with my ski's I was fine and didn't move, but it was making the 90 degree turn without sliding was a little problematic. Also tried the snow plough which seems okay actually, was expecting it to be much more difficult given I've read some people really struggle with it - of course, this was on a tiny little slop of about 8-10 metres so...

Does anything recommend taking the next level lesson with them before I go? They offered 40% off if I booked it then, but I didn't - I imagine they would honour that if I called another day to book though? They seemed to be handing out the discount quite readily.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, a beginner course at chilfactore during the week is currently 89 on the website. Use offer code SALE89, not sure if this works out cheaper ?

As for taking the session before you go, for me it would all depend on where you are going and how much the lessons are there etc. I'm sure some others will be along to help you out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JanieS, if you are going soon, then I don't think I'd bother if funds are a bit tight. At the stage you've now reached you can be sure of getting on really fast in a beginner group and might well get "promoted" to the next group up. Where and when are you going?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JanieS, Personally I think anytime spent learning in doors before a first trip is time well spent. When I first started skiing I did a learn to ski in a day type course, a couple of sessions and a day on real snow up in Scotland. By time I did my first holiday in the Alps I was skiing blues confidently and tackling reds and skiing mostly parallel , but overall enjoying myself without going into survival mode. I'm not saying one way is wrong or right but from that point on I either had 1:1 or 1:2 private lessons and overall since I started skiing 6 years ago I'm happy with my progression but always learning. To me skiing is about having fun, and my lessons have been aimed with opening up more of the mountain to enjoy, which has meant targeted lessons on, steeps, moguls, ice, and then off piste in the last couple of years.

However learning indoors isn't cheap, but I think doing the very basics in resort is a waste of precious holiday time. Have fun and be warned it's addictive and you'll soon be wondering what you did with your winters. snowHead

ETA

One thing I didn't touch on-fitness. Skiing is physically demanding particularly for a beginner-constantly picking yourself up of the deck is tiring! The range of movements is hard to replicate without actually skiing and lack of technique early on puts extra strain and stress on your body IME. I always keep reasonably cardio fit, by running, hiking etc but when the ski season rolls round start a programme of more targeted exercises, squats, wall sits etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice. @sinkrate - I just spotted that as well - I wouldn't be unhappy to pay that price actually, but it's weekdays only and I work in education so it's a bit tricky to get it off work. (I will be trying though!). Thanks @Pam_w - that makes me feel a bit better. I'm going with a school group so lessons won't include me and I'm not sure if I'm able to go and get my own until we get there really and see what's what. So would be happy to know that I could at least manage the nursery slope if it came to it. I did used to snowboard years back, not sure if that'll help or not!

@bene that is encouraging, thanks - and yes, I'm intending to crank up the exercising - from 0 to some!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy