Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Circus- Saalbach/ Hinterglem etc

Poster: A snowHead
Just arrived in Saalbach to devastated pistes apparently it has rained heavily overnight and stripped the slopes. Temperature is at 16 degrees feels like spring not January. But sat in the mountains having a nice beer so all is not lost Little Angel

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-01-15 6:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like its snowing now?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mattiwilkin, Yes it is turned from rain about 9 am but had been raining through early hours. There was actual water running off the bottom of piste yesterday and very warm I saw it at 16 degrees! Just glad its snowing now Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
coming pout on wed. forecast is for snow all day and cold. Hope pistes hold up ok. Looks like plenty down already even given the rain and warm temps?

Forecasting sying fri big snow too. Heres hoping
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It has been snowing heavily since 9 am - crazy weather; minus 10° on Thursday, plus 5° and heavy rain and storm Friday night, sunny and 14° Saturday (which was the warmest January day ever recorded in Salzburg at 21°) and now (Sunday 11.00) there is a blizzard at village level.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mattiwilkin, as Quinton says it was snowing until around 1PM stopped until 4PM then has been light snow ever since freezing levels have dropped as no more slush on roads. Many lifts closed during day due to both high winds and lack of coverage, no access from saalbach to hinterglemm but saalbach to leogang was ok. Will post more tomorrow but at least its looking more promising Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just looking at webcams and forecasts. Looks like saalbach one of the best conditions around so beggars cant be choosers and hope to have a great time anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@joshua. I arrive next Saturday I'd be really interested in any updates. Enjoy your holiday. Thanks.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Things can change dramatically from one day to another, and they frequently do. When the snow comes, it's quite common for it start as rain and turn to snow as temperatures drop. Conditions were dire until Christmas, but have been fantastic in the last couple of weeks. The outlook looks promising, especially after today's snow and with more snow forecast later in the week. I'm surprised that the pistes are described as 'devastated' and 'stripped'. I haven't been out today but they look okay to me. Even the little village nursery slope outside our window, which can suffer when conditions are truly bad, seems to be okay and being used normally.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad to hear it TT. That was my impression from the webcams but can't always tell from them. Roll on Wednesday!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When your actually stood at the bottom of pistes and water is running past your feet and people are skiing through muddy patches! I would kind of describe it as I said. However as Tatman said things change rapidly in the mountains, I have heard blasting this morning the ploughs are out clearing roads and I can still see piste bashers working high up so a massive change from Saturday. Winds also look to have eased so hopefully up high to try the new snow Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
joshua wrote:
When your actually stood at the bottom of pistes and water is running past your feet and people are skiing through muddy patches! I would kind of describe it as I said. However as Tatman said things change rapidly in the mountains, I have heard blasting this morning the ploughs are out clearing roads and I can still see piste bashers working high up so a massive change from Saturday. Winds also look to have eased so hopefully up high to try the new snow Very Happy

You obviously didn't ski low Austrian resorts back in the 80s before the advent of snow cannon. Skiing through mud was a popular past-time.... Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It looks great out there this morning - just going out and will probably do 68. Will report back if I encounter any mud!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We'll be traveling to S/H/L next week and being a snowjunkie I'm checking Bergfex every day. They promise a big dump starting this friday and cold temperatures Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TT, did you do 68? I Went to do it today but it was marked as closed. It did look as if a few people had headed down, but I decided against it. Would be interested to know if it's actually possible.
latest report
[b]@buchanan101[/b Not for me mud skiing but you carry on! Well skied across to Leogang today conditions are pretty good although runs into village were a little patchy in places. Powder to play in on sides of pistes but was tracked out by the end of the day. Hardpacked in a few areas on pistes but not bad at all the piste bashers have done a great job but a bit more snow would really help things along. At the top of Bernkogelbahn it was 9 degrees at 3PM but skies are clear and as we were sat in bauers temp was dropping. All in all a good day looking forward to an early start and some more good skiing Very Happy
snow report
@Colinthc, No - same as you! On the plus side the pistes were pretty good and the gulasch soup in the Asitzbraeu was excellent - nearly as good as the Hecherhuette! Also from the top drawer were the music in the Asitzbraeu, the sunset at the Bergeralm, the run down at dusk, and the Hinterhagalm party! Very Happy

Met a couple of guys at the Bergeralm, who are used to skiing in France, and took them to the Hinterhag - they were beside themselves with joy!
snow report
^ Awww you are making me miss it! Sad
snow conditions
Beautiful day clear blue skies and some great skiing to be had. Although it is very warm at the moment pistes are in good condition,areas of powder at sides of pistes very heavy and mostly tracked out. Some pistes have patches showing through but was in afternoon and minimal. According to locals small amount of snow due tomorrow afternoon. Post again tomorrow with more snow hopefully Very Happy
snow conditions
..and if that were not enough, Cuckoo will be on in Bobby's in about 45 mins! Very Happy
latest report
Snowing heavily in Saalbach right now and its just in time as pistes were getting a bit bare in a good few places.I have been watching clouds gather all day and it started light snow around 2.30. Runs were OK but very hardpacked over the schattberg side not too pleasant so made our way back over to Saalbach and finished early. snowHead
snow report
Stopped snowing around 6PM but light snow in town at moment Very Happy
latest report
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, but I'v been reading a lot of the posts re Saalbach over the last week and have got some great info from you guys. 2 of us heading out last wk in Jan, staying in a Pension in SB. We are intermediates only - Love cruising Blues, dont mind Reds and avoid the Black Runs like the plaque Skullie Been able to pick up lots of tips and even an itinerary here but I have a couple of questions left if anyone can help out. Firstly I was wondering can we get to Reiterkogel, Reichkendlkopf & Spieleckkogel area via Bernkogel Lift ? More importantly, can we ski back to SB on this side, without having to go to Zwolferkogel side of mountain which reading between lines seems to be a difficult ski area. I'v been lookng at the map but cant figure out how to get from Sunliner lift runs back to SB valley - not sure where run 34A ends up Puzzled
Nxt question: Somebody mentioned a nice long blue run down to Leogang, any idea what number that might be ? Its not 68 which has also be mentioned as a nice blue 7k to Vierhofen.
Lastly, I read that there are dedicated Mogul Runs, dont get me wrong, we do them when we have No choice, but would not go out looking for them Shocked so how do we spot and avoid them !!

I'v made us sound like the biggest 2 wimps on skis, and yes, we are, but heck we still LUV IT.............
It goes without saying the whole thing hinges on the Snow being there in the first place but we'r ever hopeful snowHead snowHead

Any and all help would be great
snow conditions
@maxima, the movement on the South facing slopes is easy, except there is a long T-bar to get between the Bernkogel and Reiterkogel. It's very flat though, but some people have an aversion to them. Skiing back is easy, except for the same flat section where the T-bar is, which you may need to pole along for a bit. All other lifts/pistes are excellent for intermediate skiers.
The run to Leogang is 88. Occasionally busy, but enjoy. It's great.
I love moguls by the way, but, alas, there are hardly any to be found. There will be none on the actual pistes you wish to use? Oh, and it's snowing just now. More than forecast.
latest report
Colinthc wrote:
@maxima, the movement on the South facing slopes is easy, except there is a long T-bar to get between the Bernkogel and Reiterkogel. It's very flat though, but some people have an aversion to them. Skiing back is easy, except for the same flat section where the T-bar is, which you may need to pole along for a bit. All other lifts/pistes are excellent for intermediate skiers.
The run to Leogang is 88. Occasionally busy, but enjoy. It's great.
I love moguls by the way, but, alas, there are hardly any to be found. There will be none on the actual pistes you wish to use. Oh, and it's snowing just now. More than forecast.
latest report
88 is a nice long blue on the Leogang side - be sure to stop in Alte Schmiede for some lunch - fab restaurant!

I've only done 11 & 12 off the Zwolferkogel (only runs open at the time) and it was nice - generally wide and nothing too intimidating (though a short steeper section at the bottom).
snow report
Maxima, i think you will find piste 88 is the blue in Leogang area, it's great and one of my favs, it's very wide and the chicken man is at the top !

Getting back via sunliner to bernkogel is fine,, my girlfriend is a very timid skier and has no issue coming back that way

also See comments on the Saalbach/hinterglemm official unofficial thread 2014/15 for some other info

I'm out last week of jan also and getting very excited with temps dropping and possible arrival of some more snow
ski holidays
@maxima, oh, and run 34a finishes at a group of hotels between the villages. It's a decent run, not open just now, but should be soon if Saturday's forecast is spot on. There is a ski-bus stop at the foot, so feel free to use it. Because there is not a lift back up it's very quiet
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maxima, top tip...do the circuit...it's blue cruiser heaven. Long open pistes, very well pisted, especially around Hinterglemm.

Saalbach is a cracking resort.

Why not try the Kohlmais red run...its steady...then see how the big boys do it Eurosport at he end of Feb in the World Cup?

I will be arriving on Sunday 18th...skiing from Monday.

Cannot wait!!!
snow conditions
Wow, thnks so much for all the quick replies from all - my confidence is up already !! From what you all say, looks like we should be able for a few nice days out, doing different runs in a couple of different areas. Will do the T bars, if it means being able to chek out this area around Spieleckkogel etc. Tx for the weather updat Colinthc. Let it Snow, let it snow let it snow..........
THANKS a million folks, I'll keep tuned in Madeye-Smiley Smile Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks Nick for the tip, will give it go, enjoy ur week.........
snow report
I see that nice number 88 on the map now, will take your recommendation for lunch too Jenniper and then the Chicken Man another day Ribble !!!
I was worried about skiing, now Im planning lunch breaks Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The piste map you get in resort has the circuit shown...start early and enjoy.
snow report
Quote:

I was wondering can we get to Reiterkogel, Reichkendlkopf & Spieleckkogel area via Bernkogel Lift ? More importantly, can we ski back to SB on this side, without having to go to Zwolferkogel side of mountain which reading between lines seems to be a difficult ski area. I'v been lookng at the map but cant figure out how to get from Sunliner lift runs back to SB valley - not sure where run 34A ends up

From the summit of the Bernkogel you ski down (choice of blue 47 or red 48 ) to the Reiter-Ost chair lift, which takes you up to the summit of the Reiterkogel - the point where the Sunliner chair also finishes. On the return journey, you ski down blue 37 from the top of the Sunliner to the Wetterkreuz chair lift, which takes you back up the Bernkogel. To get to the other areas you mention on the south-facing side of the valley, you ski down blue 32 or red 35 to Reiterkogel Mitte (which is where the Reiterkogelbahn gondola from Hinterglemm finishes). You then take the Hasenauerkoepfl chair lift up and ski down blue 28 to Hochalm, where you can take the Hochalm 6er or the Spieleck 6er to the Reichkendlkopf or Spieleckkogel respectively. You will find blue piste 19 enjoyable (if open). You don't need to use the Spieleck Schlepplift (T-bar) at all.
You can ski all the way back to Saalbach using blue runs on the south-facing side, but, if you fancy going over the valley to the Zwoelferkogel (using the Zwoelfer Nordbahn gondola), you will find blue 11/11a all the way to the bottom both enjoyable and relatively easy. You can then make your way back to Saalbach via Schattberg (or by ski bus if you prefer or it's getting late).
One of the joys of the Ski Circus for intermediate skiers is that they can circumnavigate the valley using only blue runs, which gives a real sense of travelling, and it doesn't take as long as you might think. Aim to get to the bottom of the Schoenleitenbahn for around 4.00pm, and you will then have the pleasure of a leisurely 7km cruise down to Saalbach from the summit of the Wildenkarkogel, without needing to take another lift - and you may be in time to call for happy hour (3.30-4.30pm) at the Bergeralm on the way down.
Blue 34a lands you in the middle of nowhere, unless you happen to be staying in that area, in which case it's useful if you happen to be skiing down from the Reiterkogel and want to get home without doing any après-ski. Otherwise it's inconvenient and results in an unnecessary bus ride.
Over at Leogang, after piste 88 take blue 90 if you want the easiest way down (black 89a is however one of the shortest and easiest blacks you will encounter, so, if the snow is good, it could be a good one for cutting your teeth on).
As well as the Alte Schmiede, consider the Asitzbraeu directly opposite; we rate it as the best mountain restaurant in the entire area (go down to the bottom floor). Both of these restaurants are fascinating, being owned by the same local family (who also own the equally impressive Krallerhof Hotel at Leogang).
ski holidays
Conditions were much the same yesterday good skiing all round few runs still closed but doesn't stop you getting about, few moguls appearing as day went on after new snow but nothing major so lets hope for another good day Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi there, not sure who posted that fantastic, detailed information for me, but THANKS A MILLION - I have been studying the map whilst reading it and it has made everything so much clearer - to be honest I hadnt even noticed the little chairlift Wetterkruez on the map so felt there was a bit of a gap along the way!

Really appreciate the advice re Black 89A - will definitely give it a go, conditions permitting. We have both done small black runs but only in a class, following an instructor and its the thought of a really long and difficult one that turns our blood to ice Skullie Skullie bad enough on the piste, never mind in the blood !

So, yeah, knowing its short is good, cos even if its tough it will be over quickly and we both know we have to give it a go at some stage.

Will take your tips on the restaurants, might as well try out the Good ones while we on that side of the mountain.

Once again, thanks a lot for taking the time to type out all that info, I have it printed off and in my Ski Jacket already snowHead snowHead
latest report
Oh, I see now, was Tatmans Tours who supplied the info - ta very much Very Happy
ski holidays
@maxima, You're welcome! Have a great time!
snow report
Hi all, would I be correct in thinking that Gondola 52 ASITZBAHN goes all the way over as far as the Alte Schmiede Restaurant and from there thats the way back over to Saalbach from Leogang
latest report
@maxima, yes, that's correct. It's an awkward connection back to Saalbach, as you need to take 2 short chairs, 54 and 56 on your map, to cover a short distance, but the snow is usually good in this area, and it's well signposted.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy