Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - first week of April - which resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, everyone

I am an "advanced" beginner (3 years experience).
Last year - 3rd week of March, I went to Stubai glacier - the weather was great and there was no slush at 2800-3000 m.
This year I am going back to Austria, but 2 weeks later to take advantage of the bank holidays.
Don't mind going back to Stubai, but would prefer to experience a new resort, again with ski runs around 3000 m.
I don't care too much about partying, but still would like to stay in a place that's not totally sleepy, like Neutstift im Stubaital was last year.
Did some searching and Solden is one of the names that keeps popping up, but based on what I read, maybe I won't like it.
Any alternatives? Anyone been to any of the other resorts mentioned on http://www.skiingaustria.co.uk/glacier-skiing-in-austria.html?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl / Hochgurgl are high but few bars. Might be worth a look though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the skiing in Solden is pretty dull and the resort is a long strip along a busy road. Obergurgl is at the end of the same road ad just as high. Better skiing and a nicer, though quieter, village.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kaprun.
One of the best skiing experiences I have ever had. Apart from having to catch the morning ski bus; but the slopes were incredible.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mayrhofen, check out JimboS' thread.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2124833&highlight=mayrhofen+easter#2124833
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fruity wrote:
Kaprun.
One of the best skiing experiences I have ever had. Apart from having to catch the morning ski bus; but the slopes were incredible.

This would work as with the lift pass you would have the option of skiing at Zell am See if the snow is still good but have the back up of the glacier at Kaprun, you could stay in either Kaprun or Zell as both have decent bars/restaurants without being too much of a party town.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you can fly into Salzburg then there are any number of resorts that will still be open. The snow is better in Austria than in a lot of places right now, so perhaps talk to the people on the spot to get a better idea of the actual conditions. In Salzburgerland there are several people scattered throughout the region who live and work there all year round and can give you a far better and honest review of conditions in April than the occasional visitor. Obertauern for example will be open until the beginning of May and is usually fully open regardless of whether Easter is early like this year or late like last year. I've skied there regularly right through to the end of April with no problems whatsoever.

If you are restricted to flying in and out of Innsbruck, then absolute security of skiing is to be found at the southern most end of the Zillertal. The Hintertux glacier is bigger and better than than Stubai, but it is not for beginners that's for sure. But you also have a huge variety of resorts along the entire valley, both interlinked by lifts (Kaltenbach and Hochfügen for example) and all connected by either the Zillertal Railway &/or by an excellent bus system. All are included in your lift pass by the way. I was skiing in Hochfügen at the end of last season and we had fun snow all through April, including fresh falls.

Again there are several snowHeads living permanently in the region who are more than generous with their time (meeting up and guiding people around new areas) and will give you an impartial and informed report on current conditions. There are also several people like myself who live on the borders of several regions and who ski reguarly in a variety of local areas.

At the western end of Tirol there before booking.are a variety of glacier resorts that will secure you a good holiday regardless of the snow conditions lower down. However we are talking about the first week of April here, so most resorts will still be fully open. Most of the less popular ones will start winding down and/or closing as of end of play on Easter Monday (April 6th). If you are planning on arriving on Easter Saturday that is one of the things you need to check.

In years where Easter is early, there is no need to get hung up on heights in Austria! Last year it was very late and we had had a very warm March. The 80cms of fresh snow that greeted me on waking up on my second morning in Flachau on 22nd March was regularly topped up throughout the week and onwards past Easter (very late last year). I ski in that region most weekends and had super snow, if somewhat slushy towards the end of the day on the valley runs over Easter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowbombing is on in Mayrhofen from the 6th to 11th April and so depending on what you are after this could be a good or a bad thing! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As recommended by @Samerberg Sue, Obertauern - if you can fly into Salzburg. Makes it comfortably into May every year. As an "advanced beginner" you should be able to loop the Obertauern valley in either direction.

The year I went (in April), there was a dump to sea level, so we ended up skiiing nearby resorts such as Schladming, St Michael, Katschberg, etc, as well so you have that option if it's a good year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy