Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpack

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I haven't ski'd before so after (yet more - you wonderful people who just keep humouring my ludicrous questions!) more advise!

Can you take a backpack/rucksack skiing? Or do I need a 'special' bag? Just as we will have children with us sometimes a few things are useful to keep with you. Obviously nothing painful if I land on it, but would I need one which ties around the waist as well rather than just slings over shoulders?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll want something fairly small, as you'll be leaning against anything when you get on a ski lift, something to bear in mind. Straps are vital in my opinion, you'll lose it too easily and it won't be secure on your back when your skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any backpack works fine
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JanieS, is there any way you could avoid taking a pack. If you are learning you really don't want something else to think about e.g. getting on and off chair lifts with a bag.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd try to avoid carrying one. It will alter your balance point, especially if you are learning. But if you choose to carry one you don't need anything special.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's no issue at all getting on and off chairlifts with a backpack, so long as it's not too big. Ideally you want one that fasten across your chest so it doesn't swing around. I now carry one with a 2 litre water bladder in it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any bag is fine.

Even big bags are fine on lifts unless they are really stuffed full - and even then it's only the old style lifts that are a bit scary 'til you get the bar down.

You adjust pretty quickly to skiing with a pack on. Actually I now find it harder to ski without one!

DEFINITELY get one with a hip and chest belt - otherwise it will bump up and down.

Compression straps are nice to stop stuff rattling around if it's not filled, to keep weight closer to you when skiing, and to keep it lower profile when sitting on lifts.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend of mine got "collected" by his backpack when he failed to escape the exit zone sufficiently Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear. A small backpack is fine, just make it as slim as you can and it won't affect you on the lift. Tuck in any dangling straps so they don't get caught on anything. Think about what you need to carry so it doesn't get too heavy or bulky.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JanieS,
Pack spare kids gloves and some sweets to give them a sugar rush if they get cold. If there's room carry an extra layer for them as well. There's nothing worse that a cold kid with frozen hands as the silly little bug has been playing snowballs all day instead of learning to ski like wot they were supposed to.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JanieS, small is better and as said before, spare gloves fer t'snotminers + something sweet, preferably not just sugar. ..an energy bar to give them a bit more than just a sugar rush.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JanieS, it is a good idea to carry an extra layer and snack etc. Sometimes there are safe places to leave bags at the top or bottom of lifts, so that way you don't have to carry it with you all the time. I wouldn't leave anything of any value in it though!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JanieS, any pack between 10 - 20 litres will do. I've skied with a pack from day 1 and never take it off at lifts except if it's one of those old, rickety lifts with shallow seats. I think I'd feel naked without a pack now and it's an essential part of my layering system.

Don't worry about falling on the pack, when skiing you mostly fall sideways onto your hips.

Personally, I only use the waist and chest straps when skiing steep, bumpy off piste but don't know why I do - I've never had my pack come off when wiping out... maybe I'm not trying hard enough Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I first went skiing I used a very small Exped Cloudburst. Which is essentially a dry back with shoulder and chest strap (it might have hip straps / can't remember.

it's pretty small (15L) and light and is waterproof too which could be useful if you're starting out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy